• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pokémon Kids TV Releases Looney Tunes-Inspired Anime Short

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Okay this is fantastic. Very Happy
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:25 am Reply with quote
This was absolutely adorable. I'd watch more episodes of these two.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:17 am Reply with quote
That was great, they really captured the look and feel of the period, from the washed out backgrounds to having solid objects having squash and stretch. It feels more like a Max Fleischer cartoon, than a Loony Tunes/Merrie Melodies cartoon.
Lann

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:11 am Reply with quote
The two pokemon where nobody knows what they look like underneath their obvious clothing.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:32 am Reply with quote
I can tell while watching this that it's still a Japanese cartoon despite its influences, but I can't put my finger on why. Is it the designs? The expressions? The angles?
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:44 am Reply with quote
I have a feeling this was made as a long-overdue Thank You message to Warner Bros. for putting the franchise on the map in the US.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:09 am Reply with quote
Well, yeah - I can't say that it's a particularly Looney Tunes homage, more like the good replication of general 1930-1950's style of western animation with all the cartoon wackiness and expressions. Either way, this is actually good little short that put a smile on the face, yes.

immblueversion wrote:
I can tell while watching this that it's still a Japanese cartoon despite its influences, but I can't put my finger on why. Is it the designs? The expressions? The angles?
Character designs are the obvious point. Despite all weirdness that was in western cartoons style of that time, there isn't something that even closely resembles how Pokemons look - and even if you don't know that these characters are Pokemons, you can easily tell that they are "anime monsters", even if you have vague knowledge about anime in general.
Xavon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:14 am Reply with quote
With the lack of speech and specialized slapstick, it felt more like a Tom and Jerry short to me.

Still fun
XaelOstigian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Mimikyu: "Kekekeke...that's all folks."
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what a Pokémon short in the style of Winsor McCay's "Gertie the Dinosaur" would look like.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:34 am Reply with quote
Gee, isn't that cultural appropriation?
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:32 am Reply with quote
Xavon wrote:
With the lack of speech and specialized slapstick, it felt more like a Tom and Jerry short to me.

Still fun

Inoue is a huge T&J fan, so that is no coincidence, especially since he's been playing around with T&J models on his twitter.

Quote:

Another point to make is that Inoue is also a fan of Tezuka's animation. The particular motion and timing is more A, then B, then C, like pulling the string of a wind up toy (first inertia) and then watching it go (second inertia). Compare that to most Western animation, which has very harmonic inertia.

Anime today combines the two more often, but older anime, influenced by Tezuka, often stuck to one. Ironically, until he came along, it was all harmonic, emulating Western cartoons from Disney.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I've gotta tell you,I really like this. It felt like an old Looney Tunes or Max Fleischer cartoon and it was a lot of fun to watch. I really liked it and I hope they make more of stuff like this. This was really great and I enjoyed it a lot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1