• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Korean Animation Companies Anime Fans Should Know

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a fan of ranking system for studios as there are many. I think writers overlooked Studio Ppuri. I didn't know about this small Korean studio until a Japanese fan whom I follow on Twitter (@bono1978) recommended it to me. Their works are mostly video game PV and cut-scenes, but I was pretty much impressed with their animation clips.

Studio Ppuri
http://studioppuri.com

Epic Seven X Guilty Gear
https://youtu.be/bioohiutfdo
Fenrin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:25 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Quote:
So let's take a look at some of the local animation studios that we'd love to see bring more Korean stories to the world!

Jacki definitely has a point here, but the sad fact is that "Korean stories" were attempted in the past, and pretty much bombed every single time, at least when released abroad. DR Movie's Michel was a children's series inspired by The Little Prince that ADV brought over, one that even had Yasuhiro Imagawa help out with scenario creation, but no one cared about it. ADV also tried out Dongwoo Animation's BASToF Lemon (or Syndrome, if you prefer), and I believe even tried pushing it a bit, but likely did even worse than Michel did (Michel at least got a boxset release). Daewoo Animation's movie My Beautiful Girl Mari is probably the more well-regarded of them all, but obviously got lost in the shuffle of the mid-00s bubble. And that's to say nothing of other Korean movies that saw some sort of English release, like Space Armageddon or Red Hawk (or any of those really old knock-off films from the 70s & 80s), or Korean anime that we simply never got in English to start with, like the movie Oseam or TV series Restol, The Special Rescue Squad.

Honestly, probably the most successful Korean-made anime was probably Pucca. All of this is not to say that Korean studios aren't capable of putting out great works, though. I've read some damn good manhwa in the past, & it always baffles me why Korean studios don't simply adapt those. I'd love to see Korean anime adaptations of stuff like NOW, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, or Chronicles of the Cursed Sword, but sadly those will probably never happen, especially since webtoons are the big thing today.

All those series you mentioned were released in the late 90s or early 00s though, which doesn't explain why Korea still has cold feet when it comes to producing their own content now, especially with the plethora of popular stories that have sprung up since then. The only reason I can think of for this is that perhaps there isn't much of a demand for animation in Korea as there is in Japan and the US...

I can't say I've watched any Korea-based animation but one of my favorite cartoons was animated by Moi Animation, Kaijudo: Rise of the Duel Masters, which is an American re-imagining of the Japanese Duel Masters franchise; so a bit of a funny situation there. Honestly, I don't think this series got the attention it deserved.
eryndel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:

All those series you mentioned were released in the late 90s or early 00s though, which doesn't explain why Korea still has cold feet when it comes to producing their own content now, especially with the plethora of popular stories that have sprung up since then. The only reason I can think of for this is that perhaps there isn't much of a demand for animation in Korea as there is in Japan and the US...

I can't say I've watched any Korea-based animation but one of my favorite cartoons was animated by Moi Animation, Kaijudo: Rise of the Duel Masters, which is an American re-imagining of the Japanese Duel Masters franchise; so a bit of a funny situation there. Honestly, I don't think this series got the attention it deserved.

Hello, half-Korean speaking here - while there is certainly a strong anime community in Korea, the general public unfortunately still sees animation as something simply for children. When we speak of Korean animation (typically CG), we usually think of franchises like Pororo or Dooly, or animated characters from services like Kakao (Ryan) or Line (BT21). There was a Korean-produced animated film starring Hollywood voice actors released last year called Red Shoes that gained a lot of local attention. As you can see from the trailer ([url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8KJe8VOwmU[/url), it was marketed towards a younger audience. There is simply no real demand for so-called "mature" Korean animation, especially because when such projects are released, they don't match up to the standards of Japanese anime we've been watching for years. So when they, inevitably, financially fail, production committees in Korea are more reluctant to invest in that sector, especially when the government is pushing for international promotion of Hallyu culture (live-action dramas and Korean pop). Those industries are just much more profitable than Korean "anime". This is why most Korean animation that is not made specifically for children tends to be indie projects that usually take years to be produced.

On a side note, a notable native Korean animated film that this article missed is Leafie, a Hen Into the Wild. It was the first Korean animated film to sell more than 1 million tickets, and I personally think the movie itself is very good, despite, again, being targeted towards a younger demographic.[/url]
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:
Sky Blue was an interesting piece of Korean animation. Samsung dumped a bunch of money into the production. It even got an English dub but it didn’t seem to do very well.

Really liked that movie. Was really cool when I suddenly saw online that it had gotten a dub.

Wish we had gotten a US blu-ray of this, the visuals deserved one.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:19 am Reply with quote
eryndel wrote:
There was a Korean-produced animated film starring Hollywood voice actors released last year called Red Shoes that gained a lot of local attention. As you can see from the trailer ([url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8KJe8VOwmU[/url), it was marketed towards a younger audience. There is simply no real demand for so-called "mature" Korean animation, especially because when such projects are released, they don't match up to the standards of Japanese anime we've been watching for years. So when they, inevitably, financially fail, production committees in Korea are more reluctant to invest in that sector, especially when the government is pushing for international promotion of Hallyu culture (live-action dramas and Korean pop). Those industries are just much more profitable than Korean "anime". This is why most Korean animation that is not made specifically for children tends to be indie projects that usually take years to be produced.

Oh I heard about Red Shoes, but I had no idea it was a Korean production.
It's quite sad they don't see animation as profitable or a viable way to promote Korean culture, even though it has the potential to reach a different subset of people who aren't taken in by K-pop or K-dramas.

Also, I forgot to mention in my last post about the anime adaption of For the Sake of Sita in-progress: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6ju1W_GOO4
I think it's being crowd-funded?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:33 am Reply with quote
Korean studios are mostly work-for-hire for Hollywood

Sometimes it's even part of the parody stories
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2