• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Gimme (PlayStation) Five

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mm-17

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:37 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
System was confirmed to be backwards compatible with PS4 titles months ago.
Well, sort of. It looks like they're doing the same thing Xbox did this generation where they'll approve PS4 games as backwards compatible gradually over time (and we don't know how comprehensive that's going to be. Specifically calling out "the 100 most popular games" was a warning flag). It's not launching with full backwards compatibility, which I was sort of disappointed by. If I would have been able to just retire my PS4 the moment I got the PS5, it would have been easy for me to justify buying it at launch. Now, I'm not so sure, because there are only so many plugs and spaces and cords I want to have.

That article links to the Playstation website which states this:

Quote:
We’re expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We’re currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.
In his presentation, Mark Cerny provided a snapshot into the Top 100 most-played PS4 titles, demonstrating how well our backward compatibility efforts are going. We have already tested hundreds of titles and are preparing to test thousands more as we move toward launch. We will provide updates on backward compatibility, along with much more PS5 news, in the months ahead. Stay tuned!

What they meant by this is that they are testing PS4 games on PS5's boost mode to enhance framerate and fidelity, because some rare PS4 games (like Bloodborn) has the framerate hard-coded to run at 30fps and cannot go higher than that since the framerate is directly tied to the physics of the game, so they need the original developers to provide a patch that removes the frame rate cap and make it take full advantage of the PS5's more powerful GPU.
They said that they tested hundreds of PS4 games on PS5's boost mode, and they found out that a lot of games (including the top 100 most played games) can be enhanced on PS5 boost mode without any patch, people misunderstood that and thought that only those 100 games will actually be playable on PS5, so Sony updated that article to clear out this misunderstanding with this statement:

Quote:
A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4’s catalog, we’ve devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:49 am Reply with quote
Seems some people already received an early copy

Spider-Man: Miles Morales be like a a spinoff similar in scope to Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy was a 2017 spinoff from mainline series entry Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, which shared similar gameplay elements, graphics, and technology as the previous title. But it was a smaller, shorter experience than a traditional Uncharted game. (It was also sold for $39 at retail, instead of a full $59 price tag.)

Spider-Man: Miles Morales is expected to follow a similar strategy, with a “significantly shorter” run time than the original Spider-Man (which took about 40 hours to complete, not counting DLC expansions).

Calsolum wrote:

The first thing I thought when I saw it is, did alienware design this?

Mm-17 wrote:

They said that they tested hundreds of PS4 games on PS5's boost mode, and they found out that a lot of games (including the top 100 most played games) can be enhanced on PS5 boost mode without any patch, people misunderstood that and thought that only those 100 games will actually be playable on PS5, so Sony updated that article to clear out this misunderstanding with this statement:

Dunno why Sony is putting the onus on the developers to do the work to make sure their PS4 game is PS5-compatible:

"Newly Submitted PS4 Games Must Be PS5 Compatible Starting in July 2020"
Quote:
A big element for the next generation of systems seems to be backwards compatibility with the current generation. Now, Eurogamer stated that it has seen developer documentation from Sony that asks developers of upcoming games to check and ensure new PlayStation 4 titles have been tested on PlayStation 5 hardware for backwards compatibility.

Eurogamer went into further detail about the Internal Partner documentation and what these PlayStation 5 backwards compatibility checks involve. Supposedly, PlayStation 4 Software developer kits began offering an option to conduct these sorts of tests in April 2020 and Sony contacted companies about how to perform tests.

If it's a proper backwards-compatibility, then the PS5 should just play whatever the PS4 plays, and the developers shouldn't have to do anything to make sure - the system should just take care of it for them.

Last edited by enurtsol on Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:04 am Reply with quote
Mm-17 wrote:

Quote:
A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4’s catalog, we’ve devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.
That's... not really clearing much up. It doesn't say that they will be backwards compatible at launch, or any time near, or even ever ("We believe..."). The reason "100 games" is a warning flag is that it means that there has to be some kind of work done before a PS4 game is available on PS5, so they're going to obviously prioritize, and less popular games are much more likely to slip through the cracks.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:17 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Covnam wrote:

There was no mention of backwards compatibility (even for PS4 titles) and no RPGs (Western or Japanese), which is a big miss for me.

System was confirmed to be backwards compatible with PS4 titles months ago.

I want concrete information. They also have not said anything about a similar system to smart delivery (if they even plan to have one) for PS4 titles.

El Hermano wrote:
My only concern is while the design certainly looks interesting, I worry they sacrificed ventilation and performance just to look cool. The new Xbox is just a brick, but so is a PC tower, and I'll take that so long as it has enough space on the inside for the components to distribute heat properly and vent out the hot air. I can see the PS5 having poor ventilation and sounding like a jet engine just like the PS4 did because they prioritizes aesthetics over funtionality by making it compact and curvy.

I'm surprised to see a comment like this. It looks like the system has ventilation along both sides of the system in between the fins and the center portion running along most of the front and top of the console. If anything I'd say the ventilation/cooling requirements are why it looks like this.
It's not impossible to get another jet engine console like the PS4, but considering that was such a major complaint this generation, it's unlikely we'll see that repeated.

El Hermano wrote:

I see it also comes with a HD camera and has a no disk drive version. So basically they're doing what they made fun of Microsoft did last gen with the bundled Kinect and the lack of sharing games.

There was no indication that the HD camera (along with the other accessories shown; the charging station, headphones and remote) was being included in the box.
wing-zero-strike

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:35 pm Reply with quote
A very strong lineup, yet no real "Super Mario 64" or "Breath of the Wild" to really clench it.

Athia, Kena, and Stray are probably the standouts for me (at least, based on what little we know of each).

A Miles Morales game would definitely be a seller for me, but everyone seems to be saying it's going to be DLC / side-story like. So it's still a plus, I guess, but I'm at a point where I'm frustrated that Miles Morales, the only thing keeping Spider-Man feeling interesting as a hero, continues to be for side stories. Admit it, "Into the Spiderverse" is the best spidey thing to happen in a while, and it wasn't because of overweight Peter Parker.

Little Devil Inside looks to have potential, the art style is quirky in a good way, but if the political commentary made in the trailer is meant to be a central theme of the game, then I'm probably out.

In theory, Returnal also should have me more excited. I loved Nex Machina and Resogun, I love that this game appears to feature more of a middle-aged strong female lead, but... I mean, some of the enemies and combat give me Destiny-vibes (Sorry! Just not a fan of that game's gunplay) and I'm not one for the dark cerebral alien horror vibe. Make her the main character, but otherwise make it third-person rogue like Nex Machina and I'm there.

Outside of that, I liked the 3D Munch's Odyssey but have a hard time getting excited about 2D Oddworld games. Horizon looks gorgeous. Ghostwire Tokyo definitely has potential, and Deathloop has an interesting theme, but I would have to see more of each to be "sold".

I really like the Ratchet and Clank games... no really, I do... they have beautiful environments and animation, and really great shooting mechanics. I feel like this should be a system seller for me, but I also feel like I'm still satisfied by the PS4 game, and if I'm being honest, Jak and Daxter would be the real seller for me at this point.

It's strange... somehow this was all a better showing than I expected, yet I'm still probably not a day one buyer. But I guess we'll see what launch day brings!

That case design, though... I loved my white Dreamcast, I like my white Xbox One, but... uh... boy, I don't know. Here's to hoping it makes sense seeing it in person?

I mean... I really miss the semi-transparent, multi-color N64s. Am I alone here? Day one, I want to be able to choose from a rainbow of colors, and I want to vaguely see the guts inside, who's with me?!

enurtsol wrote:

Dunno why Sony is putting the onus on the developers to do the work to make sure their PS4 game is PS5-compatible:
If it's a proper backwards-compatibility, then the PS5 should just play whatever the PS4 plays, and the developers shouldn't have to do anything to make sure - the system should just take care of it for them.

For existing games, that makes sense, and I see where you're coming from on this notion of "true backwards compatibility".

But I also get the notion that Sony's trying to push here -- as a developer, you know best how your game should run. And you also know, if you wish to support higher frame rates or a bigger resolution, which trade offs make sense most for your game.

On top of that, there have been occasional inconsistencies with games even between model revisions of the same console, which I think there's already an expectation placed on developers to work out.

So, I don't think it's particularly unreasonable or burdensome to ask this of new games being submitted, with the potential unstated goal of forcing devs to make considerations for how best to present their games on the new hardware.

enurtsol wrote:
Seems some people already received an early copy

I'm trying to get myself to accept this design, why are you doing this to me?! Very Happy
Mm-17

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Mm-17 wrote:

Quote:
That's... not really clearing much up. It doesn't say that they will be backwards compatible at launch, or any time near, or even ever ("We believe..."). The reason "100 games" is a warning flag is that it means that there has to be some kind of work done before a PS4 game is available on PS5, so they're going to obviously prioritize, and less popular games are much more likely to slip through the cracks.

I think what they're saying is that all PS4 games will be playable on PS5 at launch, but not all of them will be enhance-able, so they're testing them to fix any issues regarding that especially for the top 100 most played games. We're still months away from launch so I guess they still have room for further elaboration on this matter once they feel confident enough about their testing results.
Maciste

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't have any problems with the design, at least Sony tries "something", unlike Microsoft, which is just lazy. So, as long as the machine runs silent and isn't trying to jet-start through my roof like my PS4 Pro, I'm fine. Personally, I'd prefer it to be in black. Maybe Sony's gonna deliver on that later at a later time. The only real gripe I have, is the white controller. I remember my white XBOX 360 one. I take very good care of my stuff in general, but over time it just got dirty and looked pretty used. My black PS4 controller on the other hand looks still fine after years of intense playing. Even when Sony won't provide a black alternative, I'm pretty sure a third party will anyway. So there's that.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Not feeling the strategy stuff, but hopefully it's easy and I can just enjoy the VN.

And hopefully after this they'll finally port Muramasa with the fantastic treatment they gave Odin's Sphere.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I actually love the design. It's the size that might be an issue.

I'm not too impressed by visuals, but current gen games do look awesome. Many next gen improvements will be in game design, and subtler graphical details and animation, and loading of assets. Lighting in real time is a big leap, so hopefully dev times are faster, and indy games by small teams are looking amazingly good!

Yttrbio wrote:
Well, sort of. It looks like they're doing the same thing Xbox did this generation where they'll approve PS4 games as backwards compatible gradually over time (and we don't know how comprehensive that's going to be. Specifically calling out "the 100 most popular games" was a warning flag). It's not launching with full backwards compatibility, which I was sort of disappointed by. If I would have been able to just retire my PS4 the moment I got the PS5, it would have been easy for me to justify buying it at launch. Now, I'm not so sure, because there are only so many plugs and spaces and cords I want to have.

This is incorrect, due to Sony's poor marketing.

PS5 BC to PS4 is just like PS2's BC to PSOne. 99% of games work. 1% of some rare titles could have issues.

The 'approved' list are those titles checked that will see Pro-like enhanced benefits, like higher resolution or higher frame rates. Other not-checked titles will just have regular BC without any additional benefits, and brute forcing enhancements for them may not work flawlessly, like dropping frames on originally 30 fps games run at 60.

enurtsol wrote:

"Newly Submitted PS4 Games Must Be PS5 Compatible Starting in July 2020"
Quote:
A big element for the next generation of systems seems to be backwards compatibility with the current generation. Now, Eurogamer stated that it has seen developer documentation from Sony that asks developers of upcoming games to check and ensure new PlayStation 4 titles have been tested on PlayStation 5 hardware for backwards compatibility.

Eurogamer went into further detail about the Internal Partner documentation and what these PlayStation 5 backwards compatibility checks involve. Supposedly, PlayStation 4 Software developer kits began offering an option to conduct these sorts of tests in April 2020 and Sony contacted companies about how to perform tests.

The reason for this is simple. There are always rare exceptional cases of games that don't work with BC. This was the case with the PS2 and the PS3s that had PS2 hardware. Even official ports of Xbox titles can suffer issues, anything from bugs to fps issues.

99% of games should work fine without any additional dev action. Sony is just legally passing the buck on to devs past a certain date to do the checking on new game releases themselves, and if they discover that rare issue, it's on the dev to fix/patch, not Sony. This is not indicative of a problem . It's a typical update to the fine print of 3rd party contracts amongst a host of other in-case legalese.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Maciste wrote:

I don't have any problems with the design, at least Sony tries "something", unlike Microsoft, which is just lazy. So, as long as the machine runs silent and isn't trying to jet-start through my roof like my PS4 Pro, I'm fine.

MS' solution to keeping the system cool is what I'd call a chimney stack. Simple though efficient.

Sony went for an exotic look, but they'd have to make it big to prevent the jet-engine recurrence.

Like the OG XB1, MS was ultra-careful that the XB1 didn't suffer the red rings issue of the X360, but that led to a huge box. And now Sony is making sure not to repeat the PS4 jet engine issue, so the PS5 is even bigger than the OG PS3.

If anything, MS seems to have figured out the heating issue, with even the XB1X being smaller than the OG XB1 but quiet despite more powerful than the louder similar-sized PS4 Pro. Hopefully Sony is using the same know-how on the PS5.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:12 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Anyway, the system is a lot weaker than the XSX so my hype is tempered.

Oh, so people are still doing this teraflop FUD nonsense months later huh.
Not only is the difference is less than 2, the smallest in any gen, but third party devs and programmers have been talking for years about the falicy of using just that value as any kind of barometer since it's only a theoretical measure of merely one aspect of a GPU ignoring others as well as other hardware components that contribute to overall system power and speed.

Maciste wrote:
I don't have any problems with the design, at least Sony tries "something", unlike Microsoft, which is just lazy. So, as long as the machine runs silent and isn't trying to jet-start through my roof like my PS4 Pro, I'm fine.

This. The design itself is of course subjective but they at least made another stylish system that looks like a console.

I'd probably go black color if I could like most of my electronics but I quite like the design and the white/combo is pretty striking and don't mind white electronics so I won't let that stop me from getting it at launch, but I'm sure after launch they'll gradually start introducing other colors and special editions and even sooner, maybe even at launch, we'll get other controller color options pretty quickly as we always do.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:53 pm; edited 7 times in total
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:27 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
My only concern is while the design certainly looks interesting, I worry they sacrificed ventilation and performance just to look cool.

Fortunately, like Covnam said, they didn't, if you look at the closeups in those flybys, it actually has ventilation all over right where the white and black components meet.

Yttrbio wrote:
Mm-17 wrote:

Quote:

Why? It's like a ratio. If they tested hundreds of games and found that most of them worked without any touching up then it stands to reason that the majority of games that were also developed following the proper guidelines of developing their code for the system should work as well and what they are likely looking for are outliers either with accessories that don't work, bugs that might break a game due to res or framerate enhancement, or certain games whose developers actually tied their gameplay to framerate like Bloodborne that would require a patch to improve framerate without breaking the game. Sony said they were already in the process of testing thousands of games over these months leading up to launch back when they posted that update. Microsoft has now said the same thing when they pulled back on the "all games will work" since both Sony and MS know they'd be frivolously sued for saying "all".

I mean even with that they said they expect the vast majority of over 4000+ games to work so they're not really being all that shy about it which means they must be pretty confident.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:16 am Reply with quote
Duck Bill, Duck Bill, Duck Bill!

Looks like a hockey protection device from the old "Mighty Ducks" cartoon series.

I don't really have a horse in this race, myself I don't game, however ... I've bought consoles for my sons of every generation for the last 20 years.

This one looks like trouble and not in a good way.

Mark Gosdin
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:00 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:

Sony said they were already in the process of testing thousands of games over these months leading up to launch back when they posted that update. Microsoft has now said the same thing when they pulled back on the "all games will work" since both Sony and MS know they'd be frivolously sued for saying "all".

When did they make retractions?
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:29 am Reply with quote
Oh man, the line-up was beyond fantastic. My quick thoughts on the ones that stood out for me:

Spidey: MM - only played 2/3 of the first title, but I do intend on finishing it eventually. Absolutely psyched for the follow-up. And to calm down an earlier post's fears, Insomniac has said this is a stand-alone game (a fan on Twitter even tried to argue about this, and the developer was like, "well, you know, I kinda WORKED ON THE GAME"), possibly not as long as 1 but maybe like an Uncharted: Lost Legacy sort of deal
Ratchet and Clank - a series I've always been interested in but I only played some of the original first game. At this point I might just hop into the reboot game and then this one, and then maybe go back to the older titles someday
Returnal - looks great, like Dead Space meets Silent Hill. Also, am I the only one who got what they're likely doing with the title? Given the character is a middle-aged woman and the game deals with psychological and emotional trauma of her past, I'm pretty sure the title rhyming with "maternal" is no coincidence and something bad happened to her kid(s) in the past. So to me it's a pretty clever title
Kena: Bridge of Spirits - completely opposite reaction from me, I LOVED what I saw here. It reminds me of a PS2-era game with modern visuals and looks so promising. Ember Lab will be ones I keep my eye on from now on
Ghostwire Tokyo - I dunno, it looks cool, but I'm concerned given the original director left the project, and honestly since Evil Within 1 directed by Mikami was pretty good but had some BIG flaws while EW 2 was far better and he didn't direct that one, I'm scared about who's directing it. I dunno, Mikami might have just been having an off-day with EW 1, it happens
Demon's Souls - it's a Souls game, I'll be there
Deathloop - love the style, the gameplay, and the lead. Dying to know how the second assassin works. Is she a Nemesis-style antagonist? A second campaign? A two-player game via online?
RE 8 - never stop with RE. Really excited by this one. Also dunno why people are jumping to conclusions about Chris if they've played all of 7. spoiler[Beyond the possibility that Mia might have just gotten re-infected, she's also guilty of working with a highly advanced bio weapons company (no, amnesia doesn't absolve one of being guilty of that) Given that in the RE verse advanced bio-weapons have cost the lives of an entire American city, countless people in Spain and various countries in Africa, and half of Hong Kong, I HIGHLY SUSPECT Mia is guilty of breaking several international laws by working for such a company, no way would this sort of technology be legal. Now, Chris probably should have arrested her assuming she's not infected, but Mia has had some serious karma coming her way and it always bothered me that 7 played it off as, "well, she doesn't remember doing that and Ethan loves her, so let's have her live happily after!" so 8 being a wake-up call to reality would be nice]
-Horizon 2. Still need to play the first one, but it looked so fun and psyched it's continuing. Also, Lance Reddick is in this series, did not know that until I saw the trailer, that's awesome
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3