• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Awful Horror Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3ngag3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I really hope Adult Swim will be able to do the Uzumaki adaptation justice.

Looking at some of the storyboards gives me some hope.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:57 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:
Ah, Blood-C. The best comedy of 2011!

For as much as the ending wound up alienating the audience, there's no denying that spoiler[the Truman Show-esque plot twist] was decent and well-foreshadowed without being too predictable.

though the movie did help remove the flaws from the tv series!

however, can we all agree that CLAMP & horror genres DO NOT MIX WHATSOEVER?

Did it? All that I remember from that movie was that it barely touched the flashbacks that the anime built onto and that the villain went ibsane with a ridiculous plan solely for the scenics. It felt more like a remake of The Last Vampire than a continuation of C. At least from what I remember.

TarsTarkas wrote:
Sad that no one remembers Blood+, of which Blood C is a poor remake. Blood+ has been unavailable for so long, yet you can buy Blood C anywhere.

I was so into Blood+ back in 2008... anime, manga, spin-offs, OST... I even bought that Bach cello CD and Diva's song was my wake up alarm.
So needless to say going from that to Blood-C was pretty disappointing. At least I got a good laugh out of it, whether intentional or not. I have a special soft spot for the student that managed to escape his classroom's blood bath only to be killed by a shard of window glass that Saya broke.
Shiratori-san

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:05 am Reply with quote
lol, Junji Ito Collection is really great.
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:29 am Reply with quote
I quite liked Another, though it goes to full histrionics at the drop of a hat, or an umbrella.it's a bit like Code Geass, where you keep watching to see what insane plot twist comes up next. And there's one scene that I do find chilling: the part where they listen to the old tape where bits are blanked out is rather understated and very effective.

My pick for the worst, and probably also a top contender for the least enjoyable anime I've ever seen, is Elfen Lied. I completely missed out on this one when it was all the rage back in the early 2000s and only saw it 2 years ago when I managed to find a cheap copy of the blu ray. When I finally saw it, the disconnect between my own experience of the show and its general reception was so great, I ended up seeing it twice just to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I did like the first ten minutes, though mostly because they reminded me of Tetsuo's escape from Akira. But after that the series turns into a terrible harem show, superficially dressed up in horror tropes (as opposed to Higurashi, which is a genuinely good horror series dressed up in terrible harem tropes), where I constantly got the icky feeling that the only reason all these female characters were put through these physical and psychological tortures was to make them more moe. And as far as tragic backstory by way of dead doggie goes: Bible Black actually did it better.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:55 am Reply with quote
Zen119 wrote:
Well, Another, Blood-C and Mayoiga(The Lost Village) were directed by Tsutomu Mizushima, who’s good with Comedy but is currently unsuccessful with Horror.

One has to wonder if he directs his horror shows like B-movies on purpose...
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:17 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:

One has to wonder if he directs his horror shows like B-movies on purpose...

Given the chance, might as well play to his strengths.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:56 am Reply with quote
I was going to be disappointed if King's Game wasn't on here. It was ridiculous from the start, but focusing so much on a prior game where we know only one survived means there was no suspense, just excuses to bump off characters.

Blood-C was kind of iffy for me and then it went off the deep end to finish. I was enjoying another up until the last couple of episodes. The show had a sense of dread since the deaths were based around accidents more than anything. Then it went off the rails and decided it needed a bigger body count and went about it in a way that just made me irritated.
JackCox

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:20 am Reply with quote
Blood-C was trash but my god was it entertaining Trash.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:54 am Reply with quote
I am very surprised that Another is not in the list. I have always had the impression that it is the go to for anime that is horrific for the wrong reasons.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:31 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am very surprised that Another is not in the list. I have always had the impression that it is the go to for anime that is horrific for the wrong reasons.

While it didn't match what it was going for at all, it was still pretty competent at creating tension, every now and then had a good atmosphere and it was never boring, confusing or just painful to watch.
Which is something I didn't realize until I started thinking why it was not on this list.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:35 am Reply with quote
When they cry is my favorite horro series, not even a need to compare.

Ampharos wrote:
I feel like there's far more bad horror anime than good, which is disappointing because I love horror. Maybe we could get a list of the good ones that are less ubiquitous, if such titles exist?

Well, to be fair the horror genre in general is just like that, most works are bad and only a few ones are good.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I threw in Shikibane Hime (Corpse Princess). It wasn't too bad at first, but then it started getting worse and worse. Eventually, it turned incomprehensible, then it just... stopped. Really, the whole thing was just senseless. A pretty big disappointment considering how well it started out.

I watched it because it was made by gainax.
jdotaku

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:44 am Reply with quote
I still love watching blood the original oav but blood c was just so slow what a dissapointment as clamp is usually amazing. Also a massive junji ito fan but again the show sucked manga is the way to go with his stories
db999

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Blood-C is kind of nostalgiac to me because it was one of the first anime I streamed weekly as it was coming out, but yeah it definitely deserves to be on this list. While the series does improve as it continues, the first half is really boring and formulaic. Although the second half was decent and the plot twist at the end was excellent, the ending to the show was just bad and inconclusive. While the movie it leads into is better than the show, it was still pretty unsatisfying. Honestly, the best part about Blood-C is the openings and endings. I always enjoy listening to Nana Mizuki, but the opening was really cool. It's pretty unique amongst anime openings as it's lyrics are all in either French or Japanese. You hear the occasional English anime openings and songs that have verses in English, but I've never heard one before or since that used French lyrics.
AnthonyC8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:24 pm Reply with quote
gilnokoibito wrote:
Pretty sure I'm the only person in the world who enjoyed King's Game...

No, I liked it too! I even bought the blu-ray for it
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Shiratori-san wrote:
lol, Junji Ito Collection is really great.

Yeah, I dug it, too. I haven't read any of the source material, so maybe if I had, I'd be disappointed in the anime, too, but as a standalone experience, I really enjoyed it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3