• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Awful Horror Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I LOVE Blood-C and will defend it to my last day on Earth. It was beautifully atmospheric, the monsters were creatively designed, and the twist revelation worked more than people give it credit for--including explaining why the supporting characters are (intentionally) bland archetypes. Yes the series moved at a slow pace, but said pace still played as vital a role as everything else in how effective the series's ending was--which wasn't even the final ending with sufficient questions answered, that can be found in the Last Dark movie, which I hope people are aware of (Jacki Jing included)--if not, then you are now. If you haven't yet, I'd say check out the full package for yourself instead of automatically taking this List's word for it.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I guess people more or less like Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories - they keep coming out with more of them - but I find that one to be straight up comedy. An lol with every jump scare. ...The people eating copier? Laughing

Just about the only one I like for other than comedy was the 2nd season Nao-Chan one, because it was thoughtful and weird instead of jump-scary. Nao-chan is the dead friend of the parents and haunts their toddler son- but he like his ghost friend Nao-chan- who eventually shows him a ghostly image of a face. And then the parents have a second son who they call Nao and has the face of the apparition you saw earlier.

But I stopped bothering watching a little later. It got old so fast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:46 pm Reply with quote
purplepolecat wrote:
No-one brought up The Lost Village ? The anime so bad that when it aired, people were having serious debates over whether it was just naturally bad, or the director was trolling us?
Mari Okada has been crowned a sort of genius, I think (though she's terribly uneven at best, in my opinion!). And I wonder if people are more willing to give her past work the benefit of the doubt now.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:58 pm Reply with quote
purplepolecat wrote:
No-one brought up The Lost Village ? The anime so bad that when it aired, people were having serious debates over whether it was just naturally bad, or the director was trolling us?

It's incredibly campy B movie horror. The silliness is absolutely intended.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:08 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
I LOVE Blood-C and will defend it to my last day on Earth. It was beautifully atmospheric, the monsters were creatively designed, and the twist revelation worked more than people give it credit for--including explaining why the supporting characters are (intentionally) bland archetypes. Yes the series moved at a slow pace, but said pace still played as vital a role as everything else in how effective the series's ending was--which wasn't even the final ending with sufficient questions answered, that can be found in the Last Dark movie, which I hope people are aware of (Jacki Jing included)--if not, then you are now. If you haven't yet, I'd say check out the full package for yourself instead of automatically taking this List's word for it.

I completely agree with you. It was all a part of setting up the unsettling nature of Saya's world, and was necessary for her reaction to the realization of that world's collapse.

Blood-C's Saya has to be viewed more through the lens of Blood+'s Saya than the original OVA's Saya. Saya in the original OVA was already dispassionate and detached from her surrounding world. Blood+ spent some 40-something episodes trying to get Saya to that state, only for her to revert back to a more outwardly persona in the last batch of episodes for that series. In a more compressed runtime, the dialing up of the atmospherics was essential to convey any similar shift in personality for Saya. Absent that, all you're left with would be some rote retelling of either the original OVA or the first series.

The monster design was very good too. It kept the base meaning behind what a vampire is, while exploring a new way of depicting them other than the rote practice of simply something that looks like a human with various bat features, or a bat with various human features. Here, they're actually something monstrous with truly supernatural powers, not to mention a threat not conveniently banished by simple conventions like light or special blood.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3