Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The Incomparable Otaku no Video




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13851
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:23 pm Reply with quote
First thing they play in conventions
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kougeru



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 5051
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:47 pm Reply with quote
This show was such a blast, TBH. I haven't seen it in a long time and had no idea it was even available on BD now. I must grab this
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Silver Kirin



Joined: 09 Aug 2018
Posts: 290
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching this OVA years ago, I enjoyed the first half focusing on Kubo becoming an otaku, the second part when the story becomes more fantastical is very funny too, especially when they made their own "garage anime". But I was more focused on the "realistic" parts when they showed the origins of otaku culture in Japan, it always fascinated me the role that shows like Yamato and Gundam had in the late '70s and wanted to know more about the early otaku culture. The references to works like Macross DYRL and Nausicaä being treated like legendary events are some of my favourites.
I also remember during the interview with an american otaku that the japanese voice-over wasn't translating what the interviewee was actually saying. Some time later I found out that the american otaku actually made an honest response to the question and he wasn't told about the inaccurate translation made for the segment, which I don't think was cool on Gainax's part, and I know that that segment wasn't meant to take seriously but I wish I could hear the real answer that he made, but I could never find it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FLCLGainax



Joined: 10 May 2010
Posts: 638
Location: Land of the Free
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
(snip)
I also remember during the interview with an american otaku that the japanese voice-over wasn't translating what the interviewee was actually saying. Some time later I found out that the american otaku actually made an honest response to the question and he wasn't told about the inaccurate translation made for the segment, which I don't think was cool on Gainax's part, and I know that that segment wasn't meant to take seriously but I wish I could hear the real answer that he made, but I could never find it.

I remember reading another interpretation that the mistranslation of the American guy may have been deliberate. Sort of a take that to how anime shows were commonly butchered in the West back then.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SHD



Joined: 05 Apr 2015
Posts: 569
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:36 am Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
Silver Kirin wrote:
(snip)
I also remember during the interview with an american otaku that the japanese voice-over wasn't translating what the interviewee was actually saying. Some time later I found out that the american otaku actually made an honest response to the question and he wasn't told about the inaccurate translation made for the segment, which I don't think was cool on Gainax's part, and I know that that segment wasn't meant to take seriously but I wish I could hear the real answer that he made, but I could never find it.

I remember reading another interpretation that the mistranslation of the American guy may have been deliberate. Sort of a take that to how anime shows were commonly butchered in the West back then.

Having seen the show, frankly - I'm sure the mistranslation was deliberate, but I'm also sure that the intent behind it was more "lol look at the hilarious gaijin otaku" than anything else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MadOverlord



Joined: 03 Apr 2008
Posts: 5
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:08 am Reply with quote
Nice review. It would be nicer if you linked to our product page - https://animeigo.com/onv.

Also, as best we can determine, this is what Shon is saying in that interview:

Quote:
If you want to, please, be my guest. Well, ahh, boy, you know Japan has so much of this, this wonderful stuff. I could talk about it for hours but if I had to put it into a word… just one, it'd be wonderful.

That'd be it. Yeah. Anyways… Stuff like this… I got, I got hooked on Japanese comics and animation 'cause they're so different from American comics. They… evolve. They mature in a [totally] different way.

For example, America, we've got a few really good graphic designers like, uh, Syd Mead. Uh, but… compared to Japan, it's just like… hardly any, and in Japan, all-­all kinds of graphics designers, all kinds of mechanical designers are… involved in animation, manga, related arts[?], stuff like this. It's really amazing.

Oh, my favorite character? Ahh, oh yeah, that's gotta be Lum. Yeah. I've been thinkin' about it for a while, and… America's number one evil symbol, it's, uh, Satan, right? And… a demon, Satan. And Lum's a demon too.

Yeah, 'cause they're all… ahhhh… beautiful, sexy. But she's still a demon. And… defined that idea, I like that bind… together.



You can find this and other info about the show on our wiki: https://wiki.animeigo.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gilles Poitras



Joined: 05 Apr 2008
Posts: 440
Location: Oakland California
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:59 am Reply with quote
MadOverlord wrote:
Nice review. It would be nicer if you linked to our product page - https://animeigo.com/onv.


Note if you want the blu-ray with the commentary track you have to select that version. You can also select the premium set with extras.

Disclaimer: Robert and I did the commentary track on the blu-ray.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Actar



Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 1020
Location: Singapore
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:45 am Reply with quote
A big thanks to the guys over at AWO for introducing this amazing series to me back when I first started my foray into anime! No Daryl, this, along with NHK, did not scare me off becoming an otaku. In fact, I now have a masters degree in Japanese studies more than a decade after the fact. (^.^')

Also, "...being an otaku in moderation" is an oxymoron.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
fuuma_monou



Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Posts: 1623
Location: Quezon City, Philippines
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Did Sony even make VHS decks in the eighties? I suspect that VCR was Betamax.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group