• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'So I'm a Spider, So What?' Anime Unveils January 2021 Delay, 6-Month Run, Visual

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Speeny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Interested in watching this one. I'm pretty open to most Isekai but this definitely caught my attention when I first saw it announced. I know this'll be based off of the Light novels but how's the Manga? I'd probably prefer to dive into that a little bit before watching the Anime. Smile
linkhuesitos15

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Speeny wrote:
Interested in watching this one. I'm pretty open to most Isekai but this definitely caught my attention when I first saw it announced. I know this'll be based off of the Light novels but how's the Manga? I'd probably prefer to dive into that a little bit before watching the Anime. Smile

The manga is ok but be aware that the manga cuts around half of the content of each book.
The novel is told in 2 different POVs, the spider girl trapped inside the dungeon and one of her classmates as a human.
The manga cuts all the chapters of the human side.
Speeny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:11 pm Reply with quote
linkhuesitos15 wrote:
Speeny wrote:

The manga is ok but be aware that the manga cuts around half of the content of each book.
The novel is told in 2 different POVs, the spider girl trapped inside the dungeon and one of her classmates as a human.

Ok, yeah...thanks! I might just go ahead and read the LN's then.
the green death

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:59 pm Reply with quote
The light novels are freaking great. One of the only series I read new volumes the day they come out. The world building and the overall structure of how the story evolves is heads and tails above most isekai and the main character is hilarious. Hope the anime opens this up to a much larger audience
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:54 am Reply with quote
Speeny wrote:
linkhuesitos15 wrote:
Speeny wrote:

Ok, yeah...thanks! I might just go ahead and read the LN's then.

Ooooff don't do that, the stuff the manga cuts out is generic isekai crap (to the point that some people claim it's just a parody), so unless you like that just read the manga. I'm massively bummed the anime decided to keep those chapters.
linkhuesitos15

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:29 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Ooooff don't do that, the stuff the manga cuts out is generic isekai crap (to the point that some people claim it's just a parody), so unless you like that just read the manga. I'm massively bummed the anime decided to keep those chapters.

So let's just ignore the fact that those chapters are the only source of worldbuilding and it's only there were the story actually adavnce for the first 3 volumes. Just like when the Demon Lord showed in the manga and all the manga readers went apeshit because of how rushed it felt without knowing that is has been named since volume 1 in the Human POV and even the summary says that there's a Demon Lord.

Also exactly why do you call it "generic isekai crap"?.

Is it spoiler[Shun being OP?] spoiler[Literally all the reincarnated people are called prodigies and are OP.]

Is it spoiler[that Shun bland and his moral values?] spoiler[All the students remember Shun as the type of guy that never stand out from the crowd.
In other hand the story made it's best try to show that there're 2 types of students. Those who are still attached to their old lives and those who accepted their deads and new lives.
Shun is the first type that's why he tries to live with the moral rules he got from Japan.]

Is it spoiler[the non existant Harem?] spoiler[Let me remind you that 2 girls isn't a harem but a Love Triangle and even this isn't tecnically correct because one of the girls (Sue) is absent most of the time.
Yes, Shun party is made mostly of women but aside from Katia no one has showed feelings for Shun:
- Oka: She's focused in her role as teacher protecting her students and trying to stop Hugo.
- Fei: She literally said in one of the first chapters that Shun isn't her type.
- Anna: She's in love with one of the firsts kings on Analeit.]
Hal14

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:40 am Reply with quote
linkhuesitos15 wrote:
meiam wrote:

So let's just ignore the fact that those chapters are the only source of worldbuilding and it's only there were the story actually adavnce for the first 3 volumes. Just like when the Demon Lord showed in the manga and all the manga readers went apeshit because of how rushed it felt without knowing that is has been named since volume 1 in the Human POV and even the summary says that there's a Demon Lord.

It's because shun isn't a spoiler[genki girl who goes 'oops' after she kills and eats people] (I say this with love). But seriously, this isn't anything new. Series with multiple POVs often have people who hate the ones other than the main character's or the one's they like. I remember when Overlord volume 4/ season 2 came out and people were annoyed about the focus on the lizards and then later Sebas and the humans.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:49 am Reply with quote
linkhuesitos15 wrote:
meiam wrote:

Is it spoiler[Shun being OP?] spoiler[Literally all the reincarnated people are called prodigies and are OP.]

Is it spoiler[that Shun bland and his moral values?] spoiler[All the students remember Shun as the type of guy that never stand out from the crowd.
In other hand the story made it's best try to show that there're 2 types of students. Those who are still attached to their old lives and those who accepted their deads and new lives.
Shun is the first type that's why he tries to live with the moral rules he got from Japan.]

Is it spoiler[the non existant Harem?] spoiler[Let me remind you that 2 girls isn't a harem but a Love Triangle and even this isn't tecnically correct because one of the girls (Sue) is absent most of the time.
Yes, Shun party is made mostly of women but aside from Katia no one has showed feelings for Shun:
- Oka: She's focused in her role as teacher protecting her students and trying to stop Hugo.
- Fei: She literally said in one of the first chapters that Shun isn't her type.
- Anna: She's in love with one of the firsts kings on Analeit.]

I'll say yes to all that. Yep that's all pretty generic. Nothing wrong with liking that, but there's plenty of other work which cover that stuff and do it better (since they can devote all their time to that). Ultimately the main draw of this story is the spider part, the world building offer nothing until a point that anime probably won't reach anyway (and isn't necessary really, it's not complex story telling with thousands of year of backstory, it's just generic fantasy stuff, if you've watched one medieval fantasy you can easily fill the gap).
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:03 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Ultimately the main draw of this story is the spider part, the world building offer nothing until a point that anime probably won't reach anyway (and isn't necessary really, it's not complex story telling with thousands of year of backstory, it's just generic fantasy stuff, if you've watched one medieval fantasy you can easily fill the gap).

I've read through volume 8 of the novels, and the world-building has been veering away from the bolded part for a while now. The series (eventually) looks more into the powers behind the setting than any other game mechanic-influenced isekai setting I've seen/read to date.

Admittedly, the anime will probably only give a small taste of that, as the more serious dips into it have come in the more recent novels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I've only read the manga and I noticed it was bereft of much actual story. As in impacts to character, morality background and events which effect characters. Instead it was pure battle and skills with only 2 chapters of the manga giving us any details outside of her perspective.

Is the lightnovel better at giving us some motivations and backgrounds to the characters past survival and pride?
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:28 pm Reply with quote
linkhuesitos15 wrote:
meiam wrote:
I'll say yes to all that. Yep that's all pretty generic. Nothing wrong with liking that, but there's plenty of other work which cover that stuff and do it better (since they can devote all their time to that). Ultimately the main draw of this story is the spider part, the world building offer nothing until a point that anime probably won't reach anyway (and isn't necessary really, it's not complex story telling with thousands of year of backstory, it's just generic fantasy stuff, if you've watched one medieval fantasy you can easily fill the gap).

I'll guess that you didn't read volume 5 based on your last comment too bad that you missed spoiler[robo-Pothimas].
Either way, that's not how a book work. You can't just take for granted that the reader have read other books. Even if the world is a standard fantasy world you need to stablish at least a bit of wordbuilding and setting.

Having a standard or generic fantasy world will not hurt your story, but not explaining anything about the world or stablish at least a few basic points will hurt your story.

Well of course I'm not going to read those part. I'm not slogging trough 5 volume of generic stuff to get to the stuff that's actually interesting when I could just use that time to read/watch/enjoy stuff that just start interesting (I read fan synopsis of it and it is not worth the slog).

And all of the stuff that step out of the the mould are ultimately tied back into the spider side, so you still get most of it by skipping the generic part, win-win.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:45 am Reply with quote
^
Except that the "generic part" is nearly half the story (well, for the part that's likely to be animated, anyway) and there are connections between the two sides; neither part is entirely independent of the other, and events on one side do, somewhat indirectly, impact the other. Besides, what's going on in the human world is not fully generic, either; there are some unusual twists which arise.

And the light novels aren't "slogs" to read, BTW. This is some of the briskest writing you'll see in any light novels, and some of the best. Okina Baba isn't just a slightly polished amateur; he actually knows how to write.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MagicianMan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:55 am Reply with quote
It always surprises me how many people don't "get" the S chapters or the shared narrative they build together with the main story.

Shun isn't as interesting as Kumoko, but people are missing out on so much of what makes the writing of these books stand out from their peers by skipping the S chapters. I can see why someone might think the story is generic if they gloss over everything that makes it unique amongst other light novels. One of the charms of the books is that they hit you with the tired isekai tropes while slowly hinting that some of those plot threads may have more substance behind them than you thought. It's a huge pet peve of mine when I see people telling others with such confidence to skip half the story

Of course, I'm also nervous that the anime won't be able to handle the relationship between the two halves of the story with the subtilty they need to work. I'm particularly interested in how they'll handle the foreshadowing for spoiler[the identity of the demon lord.] since some plot twists depend on misdirection that don't really work in a visual medium.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:41 am Reply with quote
The problem remains that even subterfuge of a generic trope is still doing a generic trope. You have to entertain your audiences from the get go. Some things can click with some people but miss a large group of others. Like me and Good Luck Girls selfish humour got along great but it was a flop to the general consensus.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Oh, there shouldn't be any concern about entertainment value from the get-go. The spider, if portrayed right in the anime version, probably most closely equates to a more hyper version of Tomoko from WATAMOTE, which means that she's not like any other isekai MC who's come along so far. She should quickly endear herself even to a lot of people who aren't necessarily isekai fans.

Admittedly, that's also a big "if." The way WATAMOTE handled a character so heavily dependent on internal dialog reassures me that the spider can be done right in anime form, but the absence of staff info on the series is a bit of a concern.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3