• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2020 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:15 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
How is two people "everybody"?

Well, there's at least Emilia, Rem, and this girl, so that's three, plus any others I don't remember (wasn't there another underaged one in the first few episodes, or is that the same one?), and several others available for shipping purposes. Haremy shows typically have one to three "primary" love interests--Rem and Emilia, in this case--and a bunch of secondary ones, so this is nothing out of the ordinary (unfortunately).

My use of the word "lusting" was just snarkiness, really, but looking at it as platonic romantic interest or whatever (she told Emilia she'd "win" or some such thing, she doesn't just want to be Subaru's sidekick) from a girl much younger than him doesn't make it much less uncomfortable. Anyway, I'm not saying Re:Zero is a big pile of trash or anything--that sort of judgement gets reserved for stuff like Peter Grill and the Terrible Sex Comedy--it's just, y'know, imperfect.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:12 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
How is two people "everybody"?

Well, there's at least Emilia, Rem, and this girl, so that's three,

I should probably state for the record that, as of right now, Emilia is *not* in love with Subaru. She was incredibly grateful for his confession at the end of last season, but there was no indication that she reciprocated them, and iirc she even said something to that effect. She isn't sure how she feels about him exactly, other than the fact that she obviously cares for him a great deal, and really that can mean anything. Love is a feeling she just isn't familiar with and she doesn't know if it applies to her relationship with Subaru, on her end anyway.
stilldemented

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I mean, I can understand having a bone to pick with the harem genre for very valid reasons. But the question that crosses my mind is what would a harem-style show have to get right to make even someone who doesn't like harems more open to appreciate the story? Is there anything an author can do or no?
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

I...don't think that what is clearly just a little crush on an older person you greatly admire, and no indication of anything more, is the same as "lusting". That would imply her feelings are sexual in nature, when there is nothing to suggest that. And if they aren't sexual, I genuinely don't understand what there is to be uncomfortable about. It's common and in most cases innocent (so long as the person their affection is aimed toward doesn't, uh, "reciprocate").

It bothers me because I’m very meta-ly aware of the “everybody falls for the hero including underage characters” trope and how this seems to reflect it.

The problem with the trope is that it usually happens because the MC exists he so awesome and strong that everyone everything is dropping for him because of that. Its not done an organic fashion where that might occur IRL, Lots of girls Petra's age have crushes on older male figures like celebrities usually for more vain reasons so this kind of thing isn't abnormal. Petra liking of Subaru happens a long those lines comes as a byproduct of his past actions, not because he is a protagonist. For that matter all the kids like him, just at different degrees with Petra being the most. Using meta-narrative as excuse to make blanket criticism on everything will blind you to making actual judgement on the work itself.

I'm not fond of that kind elements in harem or isekai myself either becasue usually just an excuse padded out the gaggle of girls in those stories, but there are plenty of little girls in this series that don't have those feeling for Subaru just as there multiple women & girls he only has platonic relationship with. Which is why its annoying to see some people cherrypick specific characters to make bad faith arguments. Not every girl is gonna have platonic relationship with Subaru on the otherhand he's not gonna have romantic inclinations with everyone either and the later will be the case more often than not given how far we are in now.

Beyond that, Petra's affection is one-sided and Subaru clearly has no interest in them. He merely treats her as kid sister who will grow out of it when she's older. This isn't Oremino or Eromanga. As far as serious romantic developments in general are concerned its only really between Emilia & Rem. No one else comes close match the level of his feelings he has for those two girls.
myfairx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:30 am Reply with quote
In defence of Uzaki Chan, I found the episode is well produce. It has nice enough production quality and design is very clean. It also laid down the foundation of the story and characters very well. There's no complain here as far as I'm concern. Obviously the premise is not to be taken seriously but not entirely silly too. It tells simple everyday senpai-kouhai relationship with nice hint of romance. The script also showing self restrain here and there. There's a scene where people complaining how loud uzaki in public places etc. We realize quickly that Uzaki is just being Uzaki and senpai is doing what an average senpai would do, being nice to his kouhai, even though sometimes backfired.

To be honest I'm surprised by Uzaki. At first viewing I found it to be annoying and silly. But revisiting it again I realise it's not that bad. Hope they keep the quality of production and writings throughout the entire series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:43 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Oh, man that SNAFU translation. For a show filled with subtleties and nuance in conversations, having translations that are just plain... wrong is going to be a bit of a challenge. (I mean, I get it, subjects/objects are hard in Japanese, but there should be a limit in terms of how far the point can be missed. In a conversation centered around Yukino finally working up the determination to speak about what she actually wants, why would you think the topic would be her parents' conversations with her sister about what THEY want?) I was hoping something would have improved since the last season, but nope.

As a non-Japanese speaker, I can never know when a sub is wrong directly, but indirectly you can kind of pick up on it because the dialogue just doesn't scan well. What I mean by that is that it's hard to figure out what the characters are actually getting at. A character will say something and another character will reply and I'm left going, uhhhhh what? I seem to have more moments like that with SNAFU than virtually any other series.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:37 pm Reply with quote
So besides Re:Zero - I'll watch the OVA first - I think I've seen everything I've wanted. Here's how I am with them:

Lapis: underdog of the season. I've had some issues with the first episode, but even those were minor, episode 2 has much better pacing. Sadly the idol stuff is CGI and not the good kind - probably under 10fps so it can be distracting - but it's a necessary sacrifice for everything else. It's just too adorable.
Deca-Dence: haven't decided yet, but I'm intrigued. Definitely one of the better done shows.
Oregairu S3: the best so far. The subtle character acting makes it wholesome and so far it delivered. I've had my initial fear about the animation but so far it looks like it's going to be okay.
Rent-A-Girlfriend: this one knows how to make me uncomfortable, whether it was intentional or not. MC is a trashbag, but his grandma is awesome, and Chizuru is a good character, so I'll probably stick this one out as far as I can.
Uzaki-chan: it got a lot of hate and I understand why, but I actually liked it, despite having my expectations lowered after the abysmaly animated PV. The actual show is good-looking - not as much as Rent-A-Girlfriend, but that one has other issues - and while Uzaki herself can be mean, but I think she means well. Rebecca has said the manga improves later on that front so I eagerly await the rest.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:
Oh, man that SNAFU translation. For a show filled with subtleties and nuance in conversations, having translations that are just plain... wrong is going to be a bit of a challenge. (I mean, I get it, subjects/objects are hard in Japanese, but there should be a limit in terms of how far the point can be missed. In a conversation centered around Yukino finally working up the determination to speak about what she actually wants, why would you think the topic would be her parents' conversations with her sister about what THEY want?) I was hoping something would have improved since the last season, but nope.

As a non-Japanese speaker, I can never know when a sub is wrong directly, but indirectly you can kind of pick up on it because the dialogue just doesn't scan well. What I mean by that is that it's hard to figure out what the characters are actually getting at. A character will say something and another character will reply and I'm left going, uhhhhh what? I seem to have more moments like that with SNAFU than virtually any other series.

I agree. The snafu translation has had this problem a lot, and I have almost never felt this way for other anime. There are so many moments in the dialogue where I feel like there is supposed to be some other nuance or implication in what is being said, but I can't figure out what it is. It comes across like the characters are being intentionally cryptic but I think it may just be the translation.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Hey, SAO fans, Alice 2.0 just premiered and are you in for a treat, Leafa joins the fight. Enjoy! Shocked ...
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:01 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Hey, SAO fans, Alice 2.0 just premiered and are you in for a treat, Leafa joins the fight. Enjoy! Shocked ...

At least we get the terrible part from the trailer out of the way...
TexZero

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:24 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

spoiler[https://i.redd.it/xm980keg8da51.jpg]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:47 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:

I agree. The snafu translation has had this problem a lot, and I have almost never felt this way for other anime. There are so many moments in the dialogue where I feel like there is supposed to be some other nuance or implication in what is being said, but I can't figure out what it is. It comes across like the characters are being intentionally cryptic but I think it may just be the translation.

I could be wrong, but I suspect this is probably because of the nature of the show itself. I'd be willing to bet a fair amount of it is obtuse even to Japanese viewers. I'm basing that on the fact that, like you, this is has been a common experience for me in the previous two seasons and that I've noticed this more with this title than almost anything else I've ever seen. And I've watched a ton of legit subs. I suspect this is a really tough show to translate and translators typically aren't given a lot of time to do their work.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

At least we get the terrible part from the trailer out of the way...

Frankly, if my memory serves me right, I am more concerned about spoiler[how the production team will handle Vecta vs Sinon since there are some potentially disturbing scenes in that fight] . The official novel version toned them down comparing to the web novel counterpart, but at this point, I do hope the anime team would stop making things more complicated than it should be (Alicization season 1 ep 10 would be a prime example).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Jeezus, SAO, you just can't help yourself, can you. smfh Everything was going along nicely until you had to go wallow in the rapey sleaze for shits and giggles. You suck, Kawahara. If you wanna write hentai so badly, just go do it already. Can I haz a Kai version of SAO that cuts out all the leering rape, please?

Tried to watch Uzaki-chan, but only made it to the OP. To, not through.

Gibiate looks like it could be the only thing left of the new stuff I might watch. I was planning on continuing with Oregairu, but find I'm just not in the mood for relationship drama and miscom rom-coms. That's fine. Kind of a relief, in a way, since maybe I can continue catching up on my Pile of Shame. Smile
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Jeezus, SAO, you just can't help yourself, can you. smfh Everything was going along nicely until you had to go wallow in the rapey sleaze for shits and giggles. You suck, Kawahara.

This is actually something the anime made substantially worse. This scene is in the light novels as well, but the depiction is quite different. Kawahara can't really be blamed for this. Plus this is still material that's well past a decade old at this point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11