• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2020 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
egozi14 wrote:
Kinda confused why Monster Girl Doctor aired today though, was it preair?

This happens, on average, about once or twice a season. The reasons for it can vary: an unannounced special preview, a delay in something else kicked it up on the schedule, the date was changed but the announcement wasn't, etc. Haven't heard anything about this case; maybe someone who read Japanese can check the Twitter feed for the series/studio?
This should answer all your questions animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2020-07-02/monster-girl-doctor-anime-1st-episode-debuts-streaming-in-japan-on-july-4/.161339
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Treecko Tempo wrote:
Key wrote:
egozi14 wrote:

This happens, on average, about once or twice a season. The reasons for it can vary: an unannounced special preview, a delay in something else kicked it up on the schedule, the date was changed but the announcement wasn't, etc. Haven't heard anything about this case; maybe someone who read Japanese can check the Twitter feed for the series/studio?
This should answer all your questions animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2020-07-02/monster-girl-doctor-anime-1st-episode-debuts-streaming-in-japan-on-july-4/.161339

Hunh. Normally I scroll thoroughly through the news items. Don't know how I missed that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Hunh. Normally I scroll thoroughly through the news items. Don't know how I missed that.
Funny enough, I actually scrolled past it twice looking for it, once on the way down and again on the way back up. I looked again only because, when I saw your comment, I thought "for sure I saw a headline about this very thing just a few days ago on the site".
egozi14

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
egozi14 wrote:

I see, thanks
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Yeah, hooves are like ultra-thick fingernails and horses do not respond sexually to having them trimmed and shoe-equipped. Seems more than a little like Monster Musume...

If you do it right they don't feel much of anything during it. Then again that also is dependent on proper hoof care as a whole. Sorry, vet tech. I don't typically work with horses as that's equine specialty but many of my coworkers and vets are horse people and I've worked with them and gotten to see their horses etc. Getting off on a tangent.

I wish Monster Girl Doctor was more like Interview With Monster Girls, and less Monster Musume. I have both series and I like both series. I find they work best separated. Either go the light hearted slice of life & primarily non-ecchi route, or go full ecchi. Trying to combine the two, as I feel this show does, does not work. Either own the ecchi aspect and make the doctor more self aware of the various girl's reactions and play into it, or treat it more seriously. I actually would've liked a more light hearted non-ecchi show where the doctor actually helps these girls with various problems. Considering the wide range of monster girls it could've made for some very interesting situations on dealing with health problems or how they are having trouble adjusting to a particular environment.

As for the rest so far the only one that interests me is continuing Fire Force.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, the exposition in Monster Girl Doctor made me cringe more than any Fanservice scene in the episode.
"Why, you really know me well!"
"Of course, I’m your childhood friend and senpai from school. Do you still remember that?"
"Yes, but thank you for reminding me of it anyway."
Rolling Eyes

That aside, I wish this show was more over-the-top like Daily Life with Monster Girls was. And I don't mean just the service, the comedy too. As it stands, this anime looks like it will be mildly interesting, but not as fun as its predecessor.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:13 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
I do think Nick Creamer's review on Demon King Academy is a little misguided, calling it just a self-pity narrative. Anos not only seems to have no negative feelings about being an outcast, but even seems to believe that this seclusion is something he brought entirely on himself (given that he's the evil Demon King's reincarnation, this should come as no surprise and might even sound justified).
More like completely misguided, I should say - but this is more a subjective thinking of a critic.

Well, yeah - Anos is a character that give literally zero cents about being outcast, he built his own image of Demon King through and through with a reason and being absolutely prideful about that, even if he also acknowledge all the bad things that comes with it.

He is basically straight-up overpowered character like Tatsuya, but what make him actually kinda special - unlike Tatsuya, his position in the world is already justified straight from the beginning - he is not just arrogant guy with strong ego and even stronger morality code, who trying to become Demon King, he is Demon King (or more like - was the one in the past). He not building himself as a character - it's already established with just that single fact, and his power levels, how he acts and do the things are coming from just that simple reason.

And yeah, the description - "I'm the best at everything and should be loved, but because of the unfairness of the world, I'm perpetually unappreciated" can describe an awful lot of stories from Mahouka levels to, unironically, One-Punch Man (seriously - Saitama is completely the best at being the hero, but he is perpetually unappreciated for a long time, and even still only a certain amount of people actually acknowledge him, despite he proven himself to the world many times).

Like, it's a matter of presentation that actually make the story good, not a premise, right?
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:04 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
...I wish Monster Girl Doctor was more like Interview With Monster Girls, and less Monster Musume. I have both series and I like both series...I actually would've liked a more light hearted non-ecchi show where the doctor actually helps these girls with various problems....As for the rest so far the only one that interests me is continuing Fire Force.
I'm with you all the way. Interviews was a classy standout and wish we had more or something new like it. Since Covid, I'm getting a little desperate for even "meh" anime so I'll watch FF2 (if only for Haumea) but what I really crave is Shield Hero2 and Re:Zero2. Really can't wait for ToG2 though...
PonSquared

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:25 am Reply with quote
So far everything this season gets pretty low ratings. Bummer.
thedarkemissary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:09 am Reply with quote
The way Creamer describes Mahouka makes me feel like he's never seen it. It's much more akin to a magical Annapolis than whatever it was that he was describing.

Quote:
“Mahouka”, a dull, repetitive power fantasy about a boy who has all the power, and is loved by all the ladies, but who society doesn't respect

For one, Tatsuya's origin story explains why he's better than everyone else. It's not cause he's got MC-plot powers. He a military enhanced weapon of mass destruction who was never given a choice. Whereas everyone else is just a military school student by comparison. For another, there's maybe only 2/15 female characters who harbor any kind of romantic interest in him. And he struggles to break free from being under the military's thumb and those in power.

On the other hand you've got Anos, who literally just woke up with Forbidden Magic, Resurrection Magic, Origin Magic, unlimited power, all the knowledge of the past and absolutely no obstacles to overcome. All within the first 30 days of being alive. And apparently started over, just so he could lord it over everyone else. He didn't even have to be hit by a truck as a tradeoff. Technically, even Saitama (OPM) but in more effort than Anos, to become an overpowered MC.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:33 am Reply with quote
Misfit wasn't bad. The setting seems interesting and I want to watch more. Hopefully it handles the OP MC well
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:37 am Reply with quote
thedarkemissary wrote:
For one, Tatsuya's origin story explains why he's better than everyone else. It's not cause he's got MC-plot powers. He a military enhanced weapon of mass destruction who was never given a choice. Whereas everyone else is just a military school student by comparison. For another, there's maybe only 2/15 female characters who harbor any kind of romantic interest in him.
What exactly do you think "MC-plot powers" means? The existence of an in-universe explanation for why he's incredibly overpowered doesn't change anything.

As for the ladies, I attempted to watch it, and bailed around the time when a girl told him "I'd be interested in you, but you're too incredibly awesome and I'd feel inadequate, so I'll settle for this guy. Standing right here. Who I'm saying this in front of."

Making shows about overpowered characters is definitely possible, but if the sum total of the show's approach to it is "isn't it cool how powerful this guy is?", there's not a whole lot there. There's nothing more tedious than watching a show working on "rule of cool" where its definition of cool doesn't resonate with you at all. Give me some humor, or challenge, or obstacles, or difficulties, or something.
Kitsu Kyouno

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:01 am Reply with quote
it's funny to see another LN adaptation about a magic school (these used to be popular about 8 years ago), However, these were less memorable, perhaps because nothing really remarkable was ever released, that is, people remember Konosuba or Re: zero perfectly, but does anyone remember Bahamut? or asterisk war? This shows you how the isekai could vary to different tones from a goofy to a very serious, and they are capable of making fun of themselves, while the magic schools they were never parodies of themselves were always the same, about a harem battle, a serious tone and with comic relief.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:33 am Reply with quote
How the hell did "Titi" make it past the editors?
While watching Lapis it felt extremely generic but at the same time it felt competent and interesting. I guess the way it smartly fed us tiny unique world-building tidbits helped a lot - the whistling, the technology level, the flying saucers, heck, I don't think "explosive arrows" come often in iidol shows. And then they were playing dodgeball because that's what witches do.
I think it also nails the feeling of "I want to be there" that the hallways, lobbies and rooms of well done magic schools have.

Kitsu Kyouno wrote:
that is, people remember Konosuba or Re: zero perfectly, but does anyone remember Bahamut?

I remember that it had a lot of Engrish technical names, Proper Nouns, and that a super-tree was somehow a dragon. Wait, or was that one of the many "Fafnir" out there? Maybe you mean the one about the white-haired girl voiced by Hidaka Rina? Or was that a Fafnir too? Dang, all these battle harems are getting mixed up in my head.
And then ther'es the Cygames Bahamut but this one doesn't feature a magic academy... until the very gay spin-off.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:42 am Reply with quote
thedarkemissary wrote:
On the other hand you've got Anos, who literally just woke up with Forbidden Magic, Resurrection Magic, Origin Magic, unlimited power, all the knowledge of the past and absolutely no obstacles to overcome. All within the first 30 days of being alive. And apparently started over, just so he could lord it over everyone else. He didn't even have to be hit by a truck as a tradeoff. Technically, even Saitama (OPM) but in more effort than Anos, to become an overpowered MC.
Well, again - it's all comes with solidified fact: Anos is not trying to become Demon King, he is Demon King. All the efforts that he done to achieve his power is just comes from this fact (and well, the explanation literally done in the first minute of the episode in narration - Anos not just ruled as the Demon King, he ruled the country in the mythic ages where bloodshed and wars were a common thing, and fought against the gods themselves) - not other way around.

He basically is what happens if you get a pre-established mythological hero and just throw him back to the modern mundane and peaceful (well, compared to the age he lived) society which lacks even the glimpse of the powers he had in the past - they are simply devolved and just literally borrowing the powers from his times because they think that it's more advanced than what they have (like the artifacts and Origin Magic), or even lost the knowledge about some old arts (like Resurrection Magic). Also comes with a bit of culture shock for him.

Is it straight power fantasy story? Yeah, totally, it's not even try to hide that, and it sure have completely overpowered character doing completely bullshit things, and it's fine to not like that - this is not the story for everyone.
Is it about self-pitying hero though? Heck no, the story is not about that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11