• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2020 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:18 pm Reply with quote
The current season both sucks and is riddled by delays that will go into next season. So far so bad but a "miracle" still occurred. I further returned to ep 4 of Great Pretender and it was still just ok. I am done. 6?/10

Deca-Dence The pilot was ok but already a bit bland. Ep 2 was unwatchable purple monkey dishwasher nonsense. Going from a 6 to 3/10 ep makes this a hard pass/10.

Dragon's Dogma is late addicted to this season and will be dumped on Netflix on September 17th. The game had a bad story and the world itself was just the usual bland fantasy with knights and dragons.
I don´t understand what is being adapted here outside of the fact that the IP is currently "resting".
The show´s CG further looks unimpressive, no one interesting is attached and game-based anime have a history of low stands. Can´t wait...

Nihon Chinbotsu (2020) has an ok pilot and I´ll admit that ep 1, 2 and 10 (of 10) feature perfectly fine animation. Not great, fine. The rest looks embarrassing. The in itself competent soundtrack fails to match what is happening on-screen way too often. The cast has a combined IQ of 10 and even the VAs come off as bland as it´s impossible to deliver the lines given to them. This goes for both the Japanese and English dub. Perfect I say as this makes it a delight to watch them suffer and die. The only ones who will take the gold home in these misery Olympics are the viewers.
The show is best described as Tommy Wiseau: The Anime and the frankly middling and immediately forgotten Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 from 2009 suddenly looks like a slam dunk.
I have no interest in reading the 1973 Japan Sinks novel but I am familiar with its many adaptations. They are all mediocre to bad. The fact that Roger Corman got to Americanize the 1973 film adaptation says it all. Not that any of this matters as this latest adaptation manages to even stretch the definition of what a reinterpretation is. It´s not even sci-fi!
Masaaki Yuasa´s all over the place career is nothing new but the severely overworked auteur finally produced what is destined to be the worst work of his career. The real culprit is still Pyeon-Gang Ho. That woman is bad news bears and has no comprehension of concepts like tone and pacing. Her worst and latest anime even failed to debut around the Tokyo Olympics which is a plot point. You can´t make this up. This anime will go down in legend, this is bad even by the low anime stands of Netflix, and we finally have our first So Bad It´s Good anime since 2014´s Pupa by the "legendary" Studio Deen.
Misery tourism at it´s finest! A 3/10 earned in blood and of perfect length to watch in one 3,5 hour sitting. Preferably with friends and alcohol.

Ultraman S2 might drop at the end of this season or by next at the latest. Fans of the superior GitS: SAC_2045 should check it out as both directors also run this manga adaptation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11