• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Expands Streaming Service to Mexico, Brazil This Fall

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:21 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:

I doubt Funimation will allow them to make awful dubs. You can debate on the translation being changed but in the recent years I've not seen any dubs that were awful. Only the dub of AICO on netflix reminded me of early 2000 and before crappy dubs. I would give Funimation the benefit of the doubt. I'm generally positive about the quality they produce..

Yeah, I know. But like I said, the studios picked for the Latin Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese dubs don't have good reputations among dubbing fans of those languages but we can still hope they can turn out to be at least decent. Brazilian dubbing forums even said so from certain users that it's better to wait and see, and even so, they may pick other studios depending on the reception and availability.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:43 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:
Shame that not in all Europe. Can't even spend money on Wakanim 'cause it's in Russian and it has Russian subs instead English subs, which it bothers me. Wakanim = Wakasoviet.

I don't know where you are from but I'm from the Netherlands. Wakanim was earlier this year released over here. I'm not sure in how many countries wakanim is available right now but the Nordic edition of wakanim (Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Iceland) have the English edition. Same English dubs as on FunimationNow. Seasonal simul dubs get released 1 week after FunimationNoW.

Well the people from South America can finally stop complaining xD.

My country(Lithuania) has a Russian version with Russian subs instead the Nordic version with English subs. I'm so disappointed with Wakanim, the Baltic countries should be in Wakanim Nordic instead Wakanim Russia.
Winger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
TheMorry wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:
Shame that not in all Europe. Can't even spend money on Wakanim 'cause it's in Russian and it has Russian subs instead English subs, which it bothers me. Wakanim = Wakasoviet.

I don't know where you are from but I'm from the Netherlands. Wakanim was earlier this year released over here. I'm not sure in how many countries wakanim is available right now but the Nordic edition of wakanim (Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Iceland) have the English edition. Same English dubs as on FunimationNow. Seasonal simul dubs get released 1 week after FunimationNoW.

Well the people from South America can finally stop complaining xD.

Well, some Twitter users still got vitriolic due to the availability of Mexico and Brazil are the only ones to be available in the first year even though the rest can come later. Not to mention that the site still blocked to them even though it won't be available until Fall and even so, there's a recent one made for them. Lastly, there's the dubbing studios involved in the first batch that...don't exactly have the best reputation among dubbing fans. The one for Brazil (Dubrasil) has a bad tendency of hiring graduating students from the workshops as leads just to save costs, replacing the Rio based cast. As for the one for Spanish speaking countries (The Kitchen), at least for My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan it's mainly based in Miami which in contrast to most Latin Spanish dubs done in Mexico F.D, and they tend to be bad in dubbing with neutral accents (Bear in mind that the rest of the supposed first batch would use their Mexican subsidiary in Cuernavaca Think of it like a Dallas and Houston situation but in Mexico).

Dubrasil is a São Paulo based studio, however, the studio that dubbed the movie, wich is Unidub, was also a São Paulo based studio too.
So, they kept Felipe Volpato and Fábio Lucindo as Midoriya and Bakugo from the movie cast. Changed the entire rest of the cast, but kept those two.
So, My Hero Academia hasn't a Rio based cast, but two different São Paulo based casts, one from the movies and other for the series, with Bakugo and Midoriya having the same actors in both. And for the spanish dubs, I feel sorry for them. Miami hasn't a good reputation.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:30 pm Reply with quote
As a latin-american I still have my doubts with this, on one hand I'm glad that after all these years Funimation finally decided to enter our market but on the other I and many others are questioning some of their decisions. Most feel that Funimation is being cheap by dubbing their shows in Miami and Cuernavaca, Mexico instead of doing it Mexico City where most dubs are made with the most recognizable voice actors. A good example is the future dub of My Hero Academia, some characters like All Might and Iida will be voiced by venzuelan actors living in Miami, and while both of them are great actors (All Might being voiced by the same actor who voiced Superman in the 90s cartoon and Brain in Pinky & The Brain, while Iida shares the same voice with Xellos from Slayers and Spongebob), there aren't many voice actors in Miami compared to Mexico City. Also we already got the MHA movie dubbed in Mexico with many veteran voice actors as well as some newcomers, and some wanted Funimation to keep that cast. There's also the issue if they're going to dub the shows using the japanese or english script and audio reference as the basis.
Stll, I'm trying to be positive about this, but people are still angry at Funimation for their practices towards latin-america and the fact that DBZ Kai was dubbed here using their version as a basis (but not for The Final Chapters), although that wasn't Funi's fault.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Most feel that Funimation is being cheap by dubbing their shows in Miami and Cuernavaca, Mexico

To be fair, Funimation is exactly that way with their English productions. They pay their actors notably less than what VO work costs elsewhere.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Winger wrote:
Dubrasil is a São Paulo based studio, however, the studio that dubbed the movie, wich is Unidub, was also a São Paulo based studio too.
So, they kept Felipe Volpato and Fábio Lucindo as Midoriya and Bakugo from the movie cast. Changed the entire rest of the cast, but kept those two.
So, My Hero Academia hasn't a Rio based cast, but two different São Paulo based casts, one from the movies and other for the series, with Bakugo and Midoriya having the same actors in both. And for the spanish dubs, I feel sorry for them. Miami hasn't a good reputation.

Where did you hear that?
Winger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:02 am Reply with quote
^

The dub was officially confirmed a few weeks ago and it caused a lot of discussion among the brazilian fandom, and than reliable brazilian websites talked about it.
A third actress would be kept as Felipe and Fábio, wich was Vii Zedek, the voice of Tsuyu in the movies, but she gave up on the job when she find out the studio only called them 3 instead of the entire movie cast, and then only Fábio and Felipe continued. Vii recorded 3 episodes, but was replaced and then her previous work was redubbed by another actress that is still unknown. She said that on her social media.

Also, those informations are already credited in the encyclopedia:
person#48732
person#151533
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:32 am Reply with quote
^

Ah right.

Yeah, that response from her meant that she grew close to the cast of it and wouldn't feel complete without them, which is understandable.
EiMs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:47 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
My country(Lithuania) has a Russian version with Russian subs instead the Nordic version with English subs. I'm so disappointed with Wakanim, the Baltic countries should be in Wakanim Nordic instead Wakanim Russia.

I have already lost hope in Wakanim. If they think that the Soviet Union still exists, they can't be helped. So as long as they won't offer compelling service I am going to pirate their properties. And that's it. And I am going to encourage those who care about like our new movie distributor who has licensed Weathering with you in Lithuania.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Cleaned up the nested quotes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2