• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Anime That Need a Reboot, Now!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:12 am Reply with quote
i would go absolutely bonkers in [expletive] honkers for a chobits reboot anime that more closely followed the manga's intent. holy crap.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:35 am Reply with quote
Oh what the heck, I'm logged in to write some plot summaries, let's post something for the first time in forever:

Need sequels, not reboots:
Baccano! and The Twelve Kingdoms both have a ton of material past what was covered in their anime adaptations. Both of those adaptations are excellent, so I don't want them undone, I just want more. Especially now that Fuyumi Ono is back to finishing up the story lines in her series.

Need an actual reboot:
Trigun. I love the story and the characters (obviously, look at my name) but rewatching it recently it is so late 90s in its animation and pacing, and of course eventually departs radically from the manga.

KareKano/His and Her Circumstances. What a mess that series wound up being by the end, for understandable reasons, but still. Furuba got a reboot, this should too.

Rurouni Kenshin as a work deserves a reboot with the final arc being adapted... but the complications with the author means I'm not sure I want one.

Basara was one of the best shoujo manga ever written, but the anime only covered the first three volumes (albeit very well). It would make for an absolutely epic anime if handed over the proper director and staff.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:43 am Reply with quote
I really don't want a KareKano reboot. It's already great, and I don't think anyone could top what Anno did.

As for what I'd actually want, not much. Medaka Box's anime was pretty bad, with no real sakuga and adapting the least interesting parts of the manga, but you could just do a sequel with pedigree instead of a reboot. I didn't like Bokurano's anime at all, but that happened to a bunch of manga I ended up liking like School Rumble, Monster, Gintama. I think maybe Tasogare Otome x Amnesia could use a reboot because I felt like the anime wasn't sure what it was trying to do and didn't capture the manga's atmosphere at all, but I don't feel very strongly about it.

Last edited by killjoy_the on Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Oggers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:48 am Reply with quote
I agree that Ouran really needs a second season, not a reboot. The 2006 anime still holds up pretty well on its own, and I don't think it really needs that much improvement.

I have mixed feelings about Kare Kano, though. I do like the anime for the most part, but the way it completely fell apart at the end of its run and the creator's dissatisfaction with Anno prioritizing comedy over drama suggests that it could use a do-over.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:00 am Reply with quote
My main take is that I don't feel like KareKano fell apart at all. I'll agree with you that those 1 and a half episodes of recap were unnecessary, and that's about it. I liked the art in every episode, and while the beginning absolutely has more animation than everything from episode 12 onwards, I didn't feel all that detracted from the story. The final episode is one of my favorites of the show, too
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:17 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
My main take is that I don't feel like KareKano fell apart at all. I'll agree with you that those 1 and a half episodes of recap were unnecessary, and that's about it. I liked the art in every episode, and while the beginning absolutely has more animation than everything from episode 12 onwards, I didn't feel all that detracted from the story. The final episode is one of my favorites of the show, too

To be fair, the recap episodes are kind of a sign of the production falling apart.

But yeah, overall I agree that the last thing Kare Kano needs is a remake. I vastly prefer the anime over the manga, and a major part of that is because of Anno's writing and direction, Shiro Sagisu's score, and an increased focus on comedy. I got the sense that Anno's experiences with mental illness helped him to make Arima a more rounded, human character than his manga counterpart, and there was a real sense that he understood a lot of Arima's issues. Plus, not long after the point where the anime concluded, the manga turned into the worst kind of shoujo melodrama and I'm happier pretending it doesn't exist.
dark13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:43 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
MisterMister wrote:
I'll say this to start. Reborn has always felt like the black sheep of Jump. As some have pointed out and even the video KHR has had an impact in the anime world despite things like the story or the ending but it always feels like it never got the recognition it deserves in the anime community compared to other series especially the Big 3 during it's run.

For a like a good few years while it was running it seemed like every other Jump series was always in some sort of spot light while it felt like KHR was sitting in the back burner and the western anime companies didn't help either. Viz only published 16 volumes. No dubbing company touched it during the licensing bubble days OR the licensing rebirth. Discotek literally just licensed it for home release just lat year. Think about all the other Jump series that came to the US in some way before Reborn. From Buso Rekin to Bobobo. From Jojo to Food Wars. From Eyeshield to Prince of Tennis. From Black Clover to D Gray-man. Reborn was left in the dust compared to others. A real kicker was the game Jump force where Tsuna was completely denied a roster spot.

I tend to see this from the hardcore Reborn! fanbase: A sense that this series has never been given any respect. Yes, a manga that ran for literally as many volumes as Dragon Ball, had an anime that aired for just over 200 episodes, & constantly sells merchandise like crazy gets no respect.

It's not hard to tell why Reborn! didn't become a major hit in North America. First, Viz's release stopped because it just wasn't selling, and after a point Viz decided to trim the fat with titles that weren't selling; Reborn! was far from the only Jump manga to get that fate (see: Gintama, Bastard!!, Kurohime, etc.). You can't deny that the first section of the series, though enjoyable in its own right, isn't exactly something that will instantly hook potential readers before it moves into being more of an action series. Also, if the manga bombed like it did, then why in the hell would anyone want to bother with the anime, especially when it just kept going & going & going & going.
Let me go " did you know gaming " mode for a little bit and Tell you why the REBORN manga didn't do well and its for the same Reason JoJo part 3 didn't do well VIZ never give REBORN a chance the translation for the manga was HORRIBLE not only did it have spelling errors, I mean reading the orginal English version is like reading google translation, but it also had lots of censorship and changed certain character's stories to the point they weren't even the same characters Ask any Reborn fan who owns the Manga THEY will tell you about " Nature Guardian" So yes Reborn fans have been done dirty Viz never give the series a chance that is A HUGE lie. IF VIZ actually cared they would have released the BUNKO versions that you know FIXES the manga's translation with actual good editing, what I'm saying is nobody is gonna buy a manga that issues with its English release right from the start, because Viz has Pigs for brains.

Edit One last thing I forgot to add but in the "Viz translation" they called Xanxus "Zanzasu" I don't know why I guess the people who translated REBORN never went to English class.
Carad Elen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:33 pm Reply with quote
As far as I'm concerned - and I know that as an 80s child I'm sort of out of the target group - I'd like to see reboots of some of the older shows (meaning mostly pre- and early 90s) - wishing for the following:
Boku Patalliro
Goldfish Warning

and finally a complete series of
Tenamonya Voyagers

Thank you for providing this nice outlet for these desires Wink
Joa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
#894822 wrote:
mulletZERO wrote:
You have no idea how badly I want a Baccano reboot. There is so much source material they could adapt, and considering the massive success of Durarara, I think Narita's other work deserves a second chance. I would love an animated adaptation of the Alice in Jails arc.

Ahh Baccano! I would love a reboot of that series. I want a proper adaptation of Drug & a The Dominos (my favourite)

Bah, the Baccano! anime is fine as it is. Really, it needs a sequel more than any sort of reboot.

Baccano is a great anime on it's own, but it cut and changed so much stuff from the light novel that I think a sequel is basically impossible.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:18 pm Reply with quote
It only really changed one novel significantly, and you can totally rearrange the spoiler[Felix] stuff to happen somewhere else. Not to mention that spoiler[Felix] isn't a character in all books to begin with
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:23 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
MisterMister wrote:
I'll say this to start. Reborn has always felt like the black sheep of Jump. As some have pointed out and even the video KHR has had an impact in the anime world despite things like the story or the ending but it always feels like it never got the recognition it deserves in the anime community compared to other series especially the Big 3 during it's run.

For a like a good few years while it was running it seemed like every other Jump series was always in some sort of spot light while it felt like KHR was sitting in the back burner and the western anime companies didn't help either. Viz only published 16 volumes. No dubbing company touched it during the licensing bubble days OR the licensing rebirth. Discotek literally just licensed it for home release just lat year. Think about all the other Jump series that came to the US in some way before Reborn. From Buso Rekin to Bobobo. From Jojo to Food Wars. From Eyeshield to Prince of Tennis. From Black Clover to D Gray-man. Reborn was left in the dust compared to others. A real kicker was the game Jump force where Tsuna was completely denied a roster spot.

I tend to see this from the hardcore Reborn! fanbase: A sense that this series has never been given any respect. Yes, a manga that ran for literally as many volumes as Dragon Ball, had an anime that aired for just over 200 episodes, & constantly sells merchandise like crazy gets no respect.

It's not hard to tell why Reborn! didn't become a major hit in North America. First, Viz's release stopped because it just wasn't selling, and after a point Viz decided to trim the fat with titles that weren't selling; Reborn! was far from the only Jump manga to get that fate (see: Gintama, Bastard!!, Kurohime, etc.). You can't deny that the first section of the series, though enjoyable in its own right, isn't exactly something that will instantly hook potential readers before it moves into being more of an action series. Also, if the manga bombed like it did, then why in the hell would anyone want to bother with the anime, especially when it just kept going & going & going & going.
Let me go " did you know gaming " mode for a little bit and Tell you why the REBORN manga didn't do well and its for the same Reason JoJo part 3 didn't do well VIZ never give REBORN a chance the translation for the manga was HORRIBLE not only did it have spelling errors, I mean reading the orginal English version is like reading google translation, but it also had lots of censorship and changed certain character's stories to the point they weren't even the same characters Ask any Reborn fan who owns the Manga THEY will tell you about " Nature Guardian" So yes Reborn fans have been done dirty Viz never give the series a chance that is A HUGE lie. IF VIZ actually cared they would have released the BUNKO versions that you know FIXES the manga's translation with actual good editing, what I'm saying is nobody is gonna buy a manga that issues with its English release right from the start, because Viz has Pigs for brains.

Edit One last thing I forgot to add but in the "Viz translation" they called Xanxus "Zanzasu" I don't know why I guess the people who translated REBORN never went to English class.

^
This

Almost the entire Reborn fandom boycotted Viz's translations and did not buy the manga anymore because of the blatant disrespect for the translations done. Alot of translations were wrong, and they added in weird phrases to the characters to add to the "gag" effect of it. Once it was out of its gag manga status, though, they still translated it as a gag manga. So you see the characters fighting for their lives and they are are clearly distressed but make pun comments instead of what is actually being said in Japanese...so yeah, it was just terribly horrible.
dark13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
dark13 wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
MisterMister wrote:

^
This

Almost the entire Reborn fandom boycotted Viz's translations and did not buy the manga anymore because of the blatant disrespect for the translations done. Alot of translations were wrong, and they added in weird phrases to the characters to add to the "gag" effect of it. Once it was out of its gag manga status, though, they still translated it as a gag manga. So you see the characters fighting for their lives and they are are clearly distressed but make pun comments instead of what is actually being said in Japanese...so yeah, it was just terribly horrible.
I agree so much Kazemon15 I remember how everyone in the Fandom was super pissed off on how the Varia arc was completely miss handled Viz Media if you are reading this Know that me and I lot of People WILL NEVER EVER FORGIVE YOU for Disrespecting one of the most iconic manga in japan.
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:14 pm Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
Heishi wrote:
Considering the times we’re living in, Kannazuki no Miko needs a reboot more desperately than ever. I don’t think it can survive in this current social climate.
Of course, I could be wrong. But I would LOVE to see a reboot of this.

Always thought they were a tad more faithful to Kannazuki no Miko's manga than some yuri stuff. It was my introduction to yuri at that. And seeing that it was only two volumes, I think I'd rather have the ending they stuck with than the manga's...since the two spoiler[were reincarnated into twin sisters who get in an incest relationship.]

I would like a sequel to No.6 though...bring Nezumi back to Shion! lol

I’m talking about the more...problematic aspects(or aspect to be more precise) of the series.
I’m talking about a KnM reboot that leans just a little more for a modern audience that won’t cause a massive Twitter/social media shitstorm. You know what I’m saying, right?
right?
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
Heishi wrote:
Considering the times we’re living in, Kannazuki no Miko needs a reboot more desperately than ever. I don’t think it can survive in this current social climate.

Always thought they were a tad more faithful to Kannazuki no Miko's manga than some yuri stuff. It was my introduction to yuri at that. And seeing that it was only two volumes, I think I'd rather have the ending they stuck with than the manga's...since the two spoiler[were reincarnated into twin sisters who get in an incest relationship.]

I’m talking about the more...problematic aspects(or aspect to be more precise) of the series.
I’m talking about a KnM reboot that leans just a little more for a modern audience that won’t cause a massive Twitter/social media shitstorm. You know what I’m saying, right?
right?

Yeah, I get what you mean. Yet some of the plot would be hard to kick out that wouldn't cause a massive storm. lol Now upgrading the mecha or making it kind of less of a situation to have would be good...don't know how yuri and mecha mixed, but they made it happen back then.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
Heishi wrote:

right?

Heishi, do you know about the sorta KNM reboot manga? It's like an Alternate Universe...with Himeko as a nun...I read a little bit of it...but I can't remember what they called it.

I don't think it has many problems as the first series...but I also don't know if it properly finished either. I think they started writing it after finishing Kyoushiro To Towa No Sora (shoujo-esque cheese which I loved of course lol)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9