• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Anime That Need a Reboot, Now!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:43 pm Reply with quote
For me Reborn's issue is one more of timing outside of it's own existence than anything else. What I mean by that is it is a little quirkier than Bleach or Naruto, but at the same time not as quirky as One Piece. This came at a time when you had two dynamics playing out - a stronger lean-in to international, and particularly U.S. markets, and the burgeoning world economic slow-down.

If you look back at that era now, there are a number of series that while not superb, would have normally garnered at least a little more traction and likely further adaptations in a more normal or traditional time. While Reborn was and still is fairly huge in Japan, the international and American markets were at the time saturated by other properties that caught on just a bit faster and held on a bit longer. Combine that with production companies tightening purse strings and shying more towards more certain wins on the broader market due to fans with somewhat tighter purse strings, Reborn ended up on the outside of the fringe of breakout popularity, looking in at One Piece and the like. If it had been just a little earlier or later, it likely would've done better at catching fire outside of Japan. It just lacked that little extra edge.

All that said, thinking on it again, I don't know how much of a reboot it needs. I can't see much room to change anything story wise that would make it "better" and not just "different" until you get pretty far down the road of episodes, which would make for an odd remake. I suppose they could go the Blue Exorcist route and just pick a spot and partially reboot from there. The animation is a little dated, but it fits the style of show, so I don't think it's dated enough that you'd want a reboot just for that.
chronium

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:00 am Reply with quote
I would like to see a reboot of the Starship Troopers anime series not the movies.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:49 am Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
Heishi wrote:
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
Heishi wrote:
Considering the times we’re living in, Kannazuki no Miko needs a reboot more desperately than ever. I don’t think it can survive in this current social climate.
Of course, I could be wrong. But I would LOVE to see a reboot of this.

Always thought they were a tad more faithful to Kannazuki no Miko's manga than some yuri stuff. It was my introduction to yuri at that. And seeing that it was only two volumes, I think I'd rather have the ending they stuck with than the manga's...since the two spoiler[were reincarnated into twin sisters who get in an incest relationship.]

I would like a sequel to No.6 though...bring Nezumi back to Shion! lol

I’m talking about the more...problematic aspects(or aspect to be more precise) of the series.
I’m talking about a KnM reboot that leans just a little more for a modern audience that won’t cause a massive Twitter/social media shitstorm. You know what I’m saying, right?
right?

Yeah, I get what you mean. Yet some of the plot would be hard to kick out that wouldn't cause a massive storm. lol Now upgrading the mecha or making it kind of less of a situation to have would be good...don't know how yuri and mecha mixed, but they made it happen back then.

Personally, what I would like to see in a reboot is a battle between the lesbian heroines and the lesbian villains.
It would have Chikane doing most of the fighting, but Himeko would serve a very important role in the plot.
I dunno, how much controversy that would spark, but I would say very little.
Also, I don’t think having Yuri and Mecha mix be such a big deal. Cross Ange did that and nobody made a fuss about that. Hell, look at shows like Eureka Seven. Had Mecha with some straight romance and it turned out fine.

Also yes Chiibi, I am aware of that particular manga. It is the recent sequel manga, I’m more worried about because I haven’t seen an English translation of it yet.
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:15 am Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:

Well, second season was the better of the two, I'll say that, but I do agree the first seemed slightly rushed. Plus I'd love to know what the illness was that Nagisa had. I've read so many theroies, but no one has said for certain what it was and I'd like to see that. Now on this new story of Clannad, the one where Tomoya is with the other girl, now that one might also have anime potential as a side story. It's got a whole new visual novel too. It's like their "After Story" as well.

As for fluff, well, the slice of life stuff does have some element to the storyline, yes. However, it's not all over the place like some can be. It's evened out and all. So in my mind, it can be essential, or it doesn't have to be. It depends on how it flows and creates a meaningful storyline that is needed.

The only thing I was miffed about with the anime version was how they handled the spoiler[orbs] by not making them evident and allowing the viewers to catch on. The other character routes spoiler[add up to gaining the true end. So if they actually showed the orbs being collected] it would give the viewer a better idea why we need these other stories. Also Kappei route is ?????

Nagisa's unless is never explained in full, at least her initial illness. Maeda is like that with his writing and will leave things up to viewers (like in Little Busters and AIR). However, it is explained that her illness spoiler[is tied to the spot with the tree/where the hospital is being built. You can see this when her father begs for his daughter's life. When the construction begins she begins to falter. in her health.] And thenspoiler[ Ushio inherits this as well.]

Tomoyo After would be great. We can only hope they will make it one day. It is the only non Key anime asides from Summer Pockets that has no anime version :/ However Tomoyo After is very far removed from Clannad.
trilaan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:58 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Need an actual reboot:
Trigun. I love the story and the characters (obviously, look at my name) but rewatching it recently it is so late 90s in its animation and pacing, and of course eventually departs radically from the manga.

Vash fanatics unite! I could die happy after getting this, knowing future generations would have it and that it would be safe and available in this age of the quickly advancing tragedy of the loss of the want and/or ability to read.
Generations

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:01 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Need an actual reboot:
Trigun. I love the story and the characters (obviously, look at my name) but rewatching it recently it is so late 90s in its animation and pacing, and of course eventually departs radically from the manga.

I consider this a blessing. The artwork for the manga is great, but it gets worse and worse as it went on.

Yes, the Gung-Ho Guns had more backstory and Knives was a lot more sympathetic in the manga, but it became more and more dragon ball-y and less and less sci-fi western. Also some characters I wish was left off rather than having more backstory. I preferred the consistency of the setting in the anime, plus it had more Meryl and Millie.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:07 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Also yes Chiibi, I am aware of that particular manga. It is the recent sequel manga, I’m more worried about because I haven’t seen an English translation of it yet.

Officially? I wouldn't worry so much...Kaishaku's only English-released manga in the States was Steel Angel Kurumi to my knowledge...and that wasn't even finished since ADV Manga went under... Confused

USA translations don't mean that much for something to be popular in Japan. xD There is so MUCH out there...and we've only seen a fraction of it over here...like the tiny tip of a huge iceberg.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Lann wrote:
Kare Kano, someone get on that, stat.

Probably not going to happen. Although Kare Karo/His & Her Circumstances is always my answer to this question too. As fun as it was, the tone of the first anime messed with the tone of the source a little too much and ended, basically, in disaster. if only someone could convince Masami Tsuda that they could produce a "Fruits Basket" type reboot that is true to the wishes and intentions of the source (while still adding value). But I'm pretty sure she has no interest in any adaptations... Although, I'm not sure she's doing anything else right now and could maybe use the exposure, work, and income.

Needs a long delayed sequel/finale:
Sket Dance

I mean, really... that show set up so much simply never to deliver on it. Hilarious but with a very neat drama buried underneath.
When it went off I figured it'd be gone a year or two and then complete the story. Nope. Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Generations wrote:

I consider this a blessing. The artwork for the manga is great, but it gets worse and worse as it went on.

Yes, the Gung-Ho Guns had more backstory and Knives was a lot more sympathetic in the manga, but it became more and more dragon ball-y and less and less sci-fi western. Also some characters I wish was left off rather than having more backstory. I preferred the consistency of the setting in the anime, plus it had more Meryl and Millie.

I haven't read the Trigun manga, or even know much of anything about how the story differs from the anime version. While it might be interesting to see that alternate take on events, the anime is so near and dear to me that I can't imagine myself enjoying another version more. That was pretty much the same reaction I had to FMA: Brotherhood versus the 2003 adaptation.

And oh lord, how did I forget to talk about Berserk...honestly what it needs isn't a reboot so much as a miracle at this point. I agree with everyone else who said that we don't need another Golden Age adaptation: the 1997 series was great, albeit abrupt in its ending, and while the movie trilogy compressed things (and had some wonky CG) at least it provided a competent modern adaptation with a slightly more fleshed-out ending. In a perfect world we'd have someone pick up from there and be able to pretend that that CLANGing abomination never existed. After the job Wit did on Vinland Saga I'd love to see their take on things, but even in the best-case scenario adapting more of the series while it remains perpetually unfinished seems rather fruitless.
Lann

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:22 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Lann wrote:
Kare Kano, someone get on that, stat.

Probably not going to happen. Although Kare Karo/His & Her Circumstances is always my answer to this question too. As fun as it was, the tone of the first anime messed with the tone of the source a little too much and ended, basically, in disaster. if only someone could convince Masami Tsuda that they could produce a "Fruits Basket" type reboot that is true to the wishes and intentions of the source (while still adding value). But I'm pretty sure she has no interest in any adaptations... Although, I'm not sure she's doing anything else right now and could maybe use the exposure, work, and income.

I think the new Fruits Basket helps. Its from a totally different studio, with a different team and different voice actors, with the promise to follow the manga right to the end. I'm sure Masami Tsuda could could be convinced.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:51 am Reply with quote
Need a One piece reboot
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:56 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I didn't like Bokurano's anime at all, but that happened to a bunch of manga I ended up liking like School Rumble, Monster, Gintama.

No idea about the anime but the songs were part of the reason that I started visiting Japan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSARpjKsyZM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwvmJW4bV20
EducatedRuffian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:21 am Reply with quote
EB01 wrote:
The ship has sailed for any new Trigun anime project, after apparently luke warm reception for Trigun: Badlands Rumble (wow has it really been 10 years since Trigun: Badlands Rumble?)

I would have liked to have seen a 'Trigun Maximum' re-do following the full manga story, though realistically it would probably be like Full Metal Alchemist where there'd be a solid core of the fanbase that will prefer the original over any re-make.

Nostalgia can be very potent.

Yes, Trigun!! I really wanted a remake adapting Maximum with original VAs (both JA & Eng), but with the passing of Hiromi Tsuru... Sad
RevyHenriettaRider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Hello! Cool

I have wanted Reborn! back as an anime ever since it went off the air. I wanted to see the last two parts of the story animated. I wanted to see the Simon Family. I think that if the did need to reboot the whole story it would be alright as long as they would commit to doing the entire manga like they are doing for Fruits Basket. If not then at least finish the final part as an anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9