• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Anime That Need a Reboot, Now!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
The only ones I feel a reboot isn't exactly necessary for from the list are Reborn! & Berserk, personally. Considering how long the original Reborn! anime wound up going for in the first place, I just say pull an InuYasha or Bleach & make a "Final Chapter" series that simply adapts the remainder of the manga. Also, to "cut out the first 20 episodes of gag filler" would essentially remove the entire set up for Reborn! in the first place,

To be fair those earlier chapters of the manga were likely the result of Amano wanting the series to be different from what it became later on which rendered characters like Naito useless after the genre shift. Secondly the final two arcs of the manga aren’t that great anyway due in part to the screwed up power scaling.

Lord Geo wrote:

As for Berserk... Well, it's obviously just a reactionary "We didn't like the last anime adaptation, so just burn it all to the ground & start over!"; I just feel that any more Berserk anime should simply continue on with the manga,

Let the manga finish before we get another adaptation, yes at most it’ll be another decade or so provided Miura doesn’t pass on with no drafts as to how the story is supposed to play out. But it’ll be better than making another adaptation that has to segment the story because the manga isn’t too far along.

Rob19ny wrote:
Yu-Gi-Oh!. It needs a full remake starting from chapter 1 of the manga to chapter 343 with no changes that result in it becoming its own canon as shown with Yu-Gi-Oh! in 1998 and Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters in 2000. While Yu-Gi-Oh! did start at chapter 1 of the manga, it did change scenes and create its own original content (like Kaiba's Game Masters arc) that wasn't in the manga. There are only 59 chapters before Kazuki Takhashi focused on cards and they didn't adapt all of them.

The problem with making a Yu-Gi-Oh reboot that adapts the original manga in full is that you’d essentially be adapting the weirder parts of the manga while dropping original things like the Kaiba Corp Grand Prix which included a nice call back for Jounouchi and Sugoroku. Seto would also not show up to witness the duel between Yugi & Atem.

Rob19ny wrote:
As for Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters, which starts on chapter 60 in episode 2 because episode 1 is a condensed episode of Kaiba meeting Yugi in chapter 9-10 along with DEATH-T, it was made to sell a card game by Konami.

Card game is what kept the manga from getting cancelled and why it’s a multi media franchise. Yeah it did lead to some weird stuff because Takahashi had to make things up as he went along (or wrote himself into a corner) but still.

Rob19ny wrote:

This resulted in the story becoming lighter (in Japan standards) than in the manga, where death and dark scenes still remained. It was also airing at 6:30 PM. Not only that, have you ever wondered why Yami Yugi stops using the power of the puzzle after Duelist Kingdom? The aftermath of the Pegasus duel in the manga explains why, which the anime left out completely. It changed character relationships, such as Anzu not worrying or blushing at Yami Yugi every single time because she loves him to changing her to like Yugi more

Maybe it’s me but I vaguely remember Anzu in the anime likes Atem but eventually finds herself liking both Yugi and Atem.

Rob19ny wrote:
and they can adapt R

Which weirdly brings back Atem after he moved on?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I know it will probably never happen because they are very old shows, but I would like remakes of Rose of Versailles and Space Pirate Captain Harlock. RoV directed by Sayo Yamamoto and condensed into 25 episodes because the original show is bloated with episodes, especially in its first half. And I would like Harlock as 3 cours show and remade in the style of Yamato 2199.
CerberusTheWise

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I know this title is pretty recent to consider a reboot for, but I think a rebooted Darling In the FRANXX series would be a great attempt at atoning for horrible ending of the original series. It was honestly pretty enjoyable up to about the middle of the series. It goes downhill from the middle onwards. I was so bitterly disappointed, I really did have higher hopes for it. If they rebooted the series was a better focus on character chemistry, character development, and not hamfist world building, then I think everyone would welcome the return of zero two and all the others.

Soul Eater definitely needs a brotherhood counterpart, this goes without saying.

Another series I think could enjoy a brotherhood reboot would be Rosario X Vampire. The anime was simple while not coming across as anything significantly more profound than your typical echi fan service anime. Picking up the manga I was surprised to learn that the manga had a very good storyline, and basically completely different from the anime. If it got a faithful adaptation, I feel it would’ve been as big as High School DAnime hyper.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Air Gear is overdue for a fresh coat of paint. The anime only ran for 25 episodes and didn't end so much as it stopped. The manga goes on for more than 25 episodes' worth of content.

Mad Bull 34 could also use a remake. Keep the "so bad it's funny" vibe, though. That's part of the charm of this old OVA. Four episodes wasn't enough.
Raven.In.Pink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Everyone who wants a reboot of Soul Eater... You'd still be let down in the end by the actual manga's ending. It has much of the problems that Fire Force that has been faithfully adapted has. Atsushi Ōkubo just isn't that great a writer is the brutal truth.

As a long time fan of Soul Eater, I would have to agree. Okubo has a great sense of design, style and a lot of good ideas. But he’s not the greatest at executing them. And I’ll be honest, around the last arc, I felt like he started to dislike working on Soul Eater. It’s why the final arc felt so off to me.

So while I would love to see SE get a reboot with the Baba Yaga Arc and Noah Arc, I feel like it could maybe take some liberties with the manga’s....Mixed Bag of a Final Arc. Like the original ending of the anime wasn’t the best, but it seems better than what we actually got in the manga, imo.
Sisyphusson66

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I'll second Rosario + Vampire, it really should get a full reboot. Its story and characters are so much deeper and richer than the original anime (which I love, no matter how trash it actually is at times) displays.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:50 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
To be fair those earlier chapters of the manga were likely the result of Amano wanting the series to be different from what it became later on which rendered characters like Naito useless after the genre shift. Secondly the final two arcs of the manga aren’t that great anyway due in part to the screwed up power scaling.

Still, I would imagine Reborn! fans would prefer seeing previously unadapted manga content, instead of just seeing the same stuff done over, especially since the previous anime was over 200 episodes long. It's one thing if the "first" anime was done after only a year-ish, like Soul Eater, Shaman King, or even the original Hunter x Hunter anime (yeah, there were OVA continuations, but those didn't debut on TV), but it's another thing to just act like ~4 years of anime never happened.

Quote:
Let the manga finish before we get another adaptation, yes at most it’ll be another decade or so provided Miura doesn’t pass on with no drafts as to how the story is supposed to play out. But it’ll be better than making another adaptation that has to segment the story because the manga isn’t too far along.

This is true, too, though I'm not against the idea of adapting Berserk one story arc at a time, which is technically how it's been done over the decades. Still, I think the idea of potentially adapting the Golden Age Arc a third time would make more sense if there was at least some actual time between adaptations. I mean, the Golden Age movie trilogy isn't even 10 years old yet (2012-2013), so let's at least wait until the middle of this decade before we start asking for a full-on Berserk anime reboot.
dark13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Katekyo Hitman reborn to this day is still VERY much popular to the point the japan did a poll for " 5 Manga that Define Myself" Guess what made the top 10 https://twitter.com/inoueart/status/1249735988391202821

AND lets not forget the anime industry's 100th anniversary Poll ranking REBORN ranked 64 out of a 100 shows https://myanimelist.net/news/50582644

and then there is the stage play Like it or not Katekyo Hitman reborn is an iconic legendary series that still holds relevance to this day now should the series get a remake or a sequel ? I think it should get a sequel since that's what the japanese audience have been asking for as well evidence being this hash tag started by them back in 2012 which is still active even today #リボーン2期希望

also if Dragon ball can get away with starting out as a Gag series ( lets not pretend here https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/dragonball/images/3/3c/Bacterian_DB_Ep_21_001.png/revision/latest?cb=20170915031455) Then Hitman reborn should be allowed to tell the Daily life arc its only fair

Also Katekyo Hitman Reborn has one of the Best openings in the series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqxRKlsT_Dc

Last edited by dark13 on Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
WingKing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:55 pm Reply with quote
This is a timely topic for me since I recently watched Dream Eater Merry for the first time. Of course it would probably never get a remake since it was never that popular to begin with, but of all the shows I’ve seen that could use one, that would be right near the top of my list. Flaws and all I still enjoyed it, but it barely scratches the surface of the manga’s plot, and the (anime original) ending was pretty terrible. Coincidentally the manga is ending very soon, per the author, so now would be the perfect time for redoing the anime properly if anyone could be bothered.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:58 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I know it will probably never happen because they are very old shows, but I would like remakes of Rose of Versailles and Space Pirate Captain Harlock.

WHAT HOW DARE YOU ROSE OF VERSAILLES IS AN UNTOUCHABLE CLASSIC THIS IS SACRILEGE I SHOULD...

Quote:
RoV directed by Sayo Yamamoto...

...okay, I'm listening

Last edited by all-tsun-and-no-dere on Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:07 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
The problem with making a Yu-Gi-Oh reboot that adapts the original manga in full is that you’d essentially be adapting the weirder parts of the manga while dropping original things like the Kaiba Corp Grand Prix which included a nice call back for Jounouchi and Sugoroku. Seto would also not show up to witness the duel between Yugi & Atem.

That is clearly your problem which is irrelevant to Kaz who made Transcend Game and The Dark Side of Dimensions, manga canon sequels that ignores the events of the anime.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Card game is what kept the manga from getting cancelled and why it’s a multi media franchise. Yeah it did lead to some weird stuff like because Takahashi had to make things up as he went along but still.

What happened 23 years ago has nothing to do with now. Konami has SEVENS with a specific target audience. This wouldn't be targeting that same audience. And if a card game is what people want then they can wait for episode 4 or 5 when Kaiba is introduced then wait until episode 18-something for the DEATH-T duel then wait another 5 for Imori then another 8 for DK. lol The original Yu-Gi-Oh! anime ran for 27 episodes. They can do it again.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Maybe it’s me but I vaguely remember Anzu in the anime likes Atem but eventually finds herself liking both Yugi and Atem.

It's you.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Which weirdly brings back Atem after he moved on?

R is a spinoff based on a scrapped plot Kaz created that is set after Battle City. All I'm seeing is negativity being added by you. Not fair criticism, but negativity about a remake existing based on issues you have since you seem to love the anime. You also seem to like the word "weird" in relation to this story that was originally a horror manga that focused on many games, which fits into the title of the series: Game King.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:07 pm Reply with quote
My picks:

-Alien Nine: Moe cute things plus weird creepy death scenes are still relevant. With the whole Children in Peril genre still being popular (a la Made in Abyss and Promised Neverland), I think it'd find an audience. The short anime series was a good adaptation, but it only adapted half of the 3 volumes (4 if Emulators is included). The last scenes shown over the credits were teases of manga-only events to come, and I'd really love to see the whole thing animated.

-Angel Sanctuary: There are 20 volumes of manga and it only got like a 2 episode OVA.

-Gunsmith Cats: 8-9 volumes of manga got one 3 episode OVA. Girls, guns, fast cars, and silly action would look great with modern animation handling setpieces.

-Pet Shop of Horrors: Another long running manga with just a short OVA adaptation and a lot of story. I'd really love to see some of the creatures in motion.

-Sorcerer Hunters: The TV anime didn't really adapt the manga's story at all. It might not be particularly relevant now, but I'd still like to see the actual story animated one day.
Turro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:22 pm Reply with quote
A Mobile Suit Gundam reboot of the original show would be great! Specially if its based on “The Origin“ Manga.

A reboot of Capitan Harlock or anything from the Leij Matsumoto sounds good to me.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:30 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
I'd like a reboot on Zatch Bell. It never did adapt the last arc.

My man! I loved that show.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Chobits...hmm... I guess it did have a lot of fanservice but I didn't think it was that bad.

Soul Eater definitely needs to be fixed.

Lot of good stuff on this thread. And as much as I love all the original Shana series, I just want more so I wouldn't mind a reboot ( WITH THE ORIGINAL VOICE CAST )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9