• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: How Cardcaptor Sakura Was Cancelled in the Philippines

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericarreza

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:22 am Reply with quote
There are so many legal violations of ABS-CBN & I could posts some of the links below:

1) Tax violations: https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1300950/defensor-wants-congress-to-check-tax-related-issues-of-other-broadcast-firms

2) Labor law violations:https://www.manilatimes.net/2020/07/02/news/top-stories/abs-cbn-violated-labor-laws-bello/736902/

3) ABS-CBN owns a "dummy" company of Amcara Corp: https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news/nation/745723/house-good-gov-t-panel-to-hold-separate-probe-on-abs-cbn-block-time-deal-with-amcara/story/

4) Morality issues on some of the ABS-CBN shows: http://pageone.ph/abante-hits-back-abs-cbn-with-morality-issue/

And those are NOT politically motivated on shutting down the largest & most controversial TV network in my country, the Philippines. Its just a LEGAL issues on why the Philippine Congress denied to give the renewal of the network's franchise.

And BTW, the 2 original seasons of Card Capture Sakura was shown first on GMA Network & not ABSCBN & they'd even shown on the Kapuso Network (aka GMA) on CCS last year. And I hope that GMA would get the 3rd season of CCS & aired it in the near future after the ABS-CBN shutdown, and here's the final note before I'll leave this board. When ABSCBN aired the anime cult hit series, Inuyasha, the female character on that series by the name of Kikyou, they'd changed her name to Kikiyou instead of Kikyou and the word Kiki is a Tagalog word term for a dirt within your teeth (and I don't know what's the English translation for that). So its very rude! But thank God when GMA (Kapuso) Network aired Inuyasha, they'd corrected her name and GMA Network have more ethical in nature than ABSCBN, IMHO. If Kikyou would watched the Tagalog dubbed of ABSCBN & she'd heard her name as Kikiyou instead of Kikyou then she'll be pissed off for sure. She'll probably give a curse to that network & shut it down for the next 50 years just like what she did to Inuyasha. Very Happy [/i]
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:34 am Reply with quote
ericarreza wrote:
There are so many legal violations of ABS-CBN & I could posts some of the links below:

1) Tax violations: https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1300950/defensor-wants-congress-to-check-tax-related-issues-of-other-broadcast-firms

2) Labor law violations:https://www.manilatimes.net/2020/07/02/news/top-stories/abs-cbn-violated-labor-laws-bello/736902/

3) ABS-CBN owns a "dummy" company of Amcara Corp: https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news/nation/745723/house-good-gov-t-panel-to-hold-separate-probe-on-abs-cbn-block-time-deal-with-amcara/story/

4) Morality issues on some of the ABS-CBN shows: http://pageone.ph/abante-hits-back-abs-cbn-with-morality-issue/

And those are NOT politically motivated on shutting down the largest & most controversial TV network in my country, the Philippines. Its just a LEGAL issues on why the Philippine Congress denied to give the renewal of the network's franchise.

And BTW, the 2 original seasons of Card Capture Sakura was shown first on GMA Network & not ABSCBN & they'd even shown on the Kapuso Network (aka GMA) on CCS last year. And I hope that GMA would get the 3rd season of CCS & aired it in the near future after the ABS-CBN shutdown, and here's the final note before I'll leave this board. When ABSCBN aired the anime cult hit series, Inuyasha, the female character on that series by the name of Kikyou, they'd changed her name to Kikiyou instead of Kikyou and the word Kiki is a Tagalog word term for a dirt within your teeth (and I don't know what's the English translation for that). So its very rude! But thank God when GMA (Kapuso) Network aired Inuyasha, they'd corrected her name and GMA Network have more ethical in nature than ABSCBN, IMHO. If Kikyou would watched the Tagalog dubbed of ABSCBN & she'd heard her name as Kikiyou instead of Kikyou then she'll be pissed off for sure. She'll probably give a curse to that network & shut it down for the next 50 years just like what she did to Inuyasha. Very Happy [/i]

Those may be true but they don't seem related to this specific instance. In the InuYasha English dub they also pronounced her name as Kikiyou. Was super irritating
Yu Ominae

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised that this thread will be visited by someone who supports pro-Duterte factions to close ABS-CBN.

Anyway, the Philippine Supreme Court will look into the temporary restraining order filed by National Telecommunications Commission by the 13th. Meanwhile IIRC, the programs made by ABS-CBN will air to various cable/satellite TV providers.
KittyEponine
ANN Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Yu Ominae wrote:
Not surprised that this thread will be visited by someone who supports pro-Duterte factions to close ABS-CBN.

Anyway, the Philippine Supreme Court will look into the temporary restraining order filed by National Telecommunications Commission by the 13th.

Thanks. Exactly what I wanted to say.

Really hoping for the best for this network. Both sides may have their goods and bads but it shouldn't go this low.
ericarreza

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:15 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Those may be true but they don't seem related to this specific instance. In the InuYasha English dub they also pronounced her name as Kikiyou. Was super irritating

Well that's really weird. I hope that Kkyou should named as Sakura instead as what Rumiko Takahashi's previous works, Urusei Yatsura where one female character of that manga/anime series was named Sakura in which she was a shrine maiden/miko just like Kikyou & coincidentally Rumiko was copied & pasted Sakura from UY to her later works on Inuyasha to be included on that anime/series & the name Kikyou was very a controversial name in spite that it is named from a flower. Rolling Eyes
ericarreza

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:27 am Reply with quote
Yu Ominae wrote:

Anyway, the Philippine Supreme Court will look into the temporary restraining order filed by National Telecommunications Commission by the 13th. Meanwhile IIRC, the programs made by ABS-CBN will air to various cable/satellite TV providers.

Yeah they will still broadcast to the cable/satellite channels, internet & social media when they want to continue to air their TV shows & news programs & they have the right to do that because the Philippine government had ONLY forbids to give their franchise to broadcast on free-to-air TV broadcast but NOT on cable channels & ABS-CBN have so many cable channels they have like TFC, ANC, Metro Channel, Kapamilya Channel, etc.in which my country's gov't didn't halt it. So there's still a democracy in my country but the laws in our country are already on the roll unlike the pre-Duterte administration in which the Filipinos had became undisciplined, ignorant & too liberal but now we've almost become disciplined & aware on the bad systems of my country like corruption, oligarchy, traditional politics, poverty, etc. for the past 35 years since the end of Marcos era. And that's the truth within my country.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:38 am Reply with quote
ericarreza wrote:
So there's still a democracy in my country but the laws in our country are already on the roll unlike the pre-Duterte administration in which the Filipinos had became undisciplined, ignorant & too liberal but now we've almost become disciplined & aware on the bad systems of my country like corruption, oligarchy, traditional politics, poverty, etc. for the past 35 years since the end of Marcos era. And that's the truth within my country.

Democracy? Are you sure? When you're doing your utmost to suppress your political rivals, I don't think that word means what you think it means...

The next regime will have a hell of a time untangling the dictatorship and human rights violations committed by the Duterte regime...
ericarreza

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:16 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

Democracy? Are you sure? When you're doing your utmost to suppress your political rivals, I don't think that word means what you think it means...

The next regime will have a hell of a time untangling the dictatorship and human rights violations committed by the Duterte regime...

So is that what's you think & I do believe Blanchimont that you live in a Western countries like the US or Europe where "Liberal" Democracy is the norm. But my country, the Philippines is NOT a Western country or part of Europe or the Americas although there's a part of Western cultures in my country but Philippines is an Asian country & my current president is doing an ASIAN way of Democracy which are more disciplined & conservative like the countries of Japan, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, etc. as according to this blog: https://www.getrealphilippines.com/2016/09/duterte-turning-philippines-back-real-southeast-asian-country/

So don't involve or turn my country into a chaotic & undisciplined Western/Liberal Democracy even though you'll gonna tell me that it gives more freedom & rights but it lacks of good values & meaning unlike on the Asian side. Oh and by the way, even the Greek Philiosopher by the name of Socrates hates "Liberal" Democracy: https://youtu.be/fLJBzhcSWTk

And do you think he supports dictatorship over democracy? Rolling Eyes
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:24 am Reply with quote
ericarreza wrote:

Philippines is an Asian country & my current president is doing an ASIAN way of Democracy which are more disciplined & conservative like the countries of Japan, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, etc.

You seem to believe that there is such a thing as pan-asian culture, a racist belief usually reserved for non-asians. Japanese people and Filipino people are as different from each other as they are from the French.

As for an "Asian Style Democracy..."

Japan has a complete liberal democracy, with complete freedom of speech and complete freedom of the press. No Japanese government would ever do anything like Duterte, or even be allowed to do anything like him. They simply don't have the power to limit freedom of speech in that way.

Same goes for Taiwan. The government does not censor the opinion of the media in any way. In fact, Taiwan is rated "more free" than the USA on terms of democracy, freedom of speech and freedom of the press.

Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand do also have more strict limitations on freedom of the press than those other the countries. Thailand in particular is ranked worse (less free) than the Philippines by reporters without borders.

Malaysia on the other hand has a more free democracy than the Philippines, Singapore or Thailand.

There's no such thing as "Asian Style...."

Last edited by Tempest on Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Yu Ominae

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:40 am Reply with quote
Oh boy. And that's why I hate staying around.

Shame I didn't vote... Oh well...
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:42 pm Reply with quote
ericarreza wrote:
So don't involve or turn my country into a chaotic & undisciplined Western/Liberal Democracy even though you'll gonna tell me that it gives more freedom & rights but it lacks of good values & meaning unlike on the Asian side.

As I said in the earlier post, you don't seem to have an idea what democracy really means going by that statement. And the latter part of your statement indicates you also may have some serious issues with things like the freedom of speech, and how those 'values' you mentioned are decided and evolved in a healthy society...

Quote:
Oh and by the way, even the Greek Philiosopher by the name of Socrates hates "Liberal" Democracy

Socrates was opposed to any form of democracy. He was in favor of technocracy.

Quote:
And do you think he supports dictatorship over democracy? Rolling Eyes

Well, as I already said above how he favored technocracy as a form government, technically one lead by philosophers like himself, so, yes, he does...
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Terrifying that a government has that much reach.
cutemi2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:32 am Reply with quote
wait till the new franchise this 2021

hope the kids channel on Digital TV will comeback, people are desperately to watch the continuation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2