• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Japan Sinks: 2020

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:17 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:

Also their world is weirdly empty. Japan's a pretty densely populated island and they're hitting up towns all the time, yet they rarely encounter other people. It's kinda weird.

A voiceover in Episode 2 or 3 mentioned that spoiler[100 million people went missing as a result of the earthquake and tsunami], but it's still pretty weird considering that's spoiler[over 95% of the entire population. Granted though, there were still tons of people in the port scene.]

For me, I was vastly disappointed with the series as a whole. It's hard to imagine that someone as talented as Yuasa, who directed the best anime of the year so far in Eizouken, could fall from grace this hard. You can argue all you want that the other director is the one in charge, but bear in mind that Yuasa did a good chunk of the storyboarding, and there's no way he had absolutely no say in how the series would go.

I could understand that the art, which was horrendous from Episode 3, could be due to animators having to work remotely amidst the pandemic, but the script is unforgivable. Aside from Episode 1, all the other episodes feature a charade of weird decision makings by individual characters, characters appearing out of nowhere, settings and plot twists that are outright outlandish, as well as a bizarre spoiler[right-wing, nationalist] theme that just feels outdated in this modern era. It's just not a good show overall, and a complete waste of my time.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:48 am Reply with quote
I found the earthquake itself and its immediate aftermath to be compelling. (Though I did also wonder about the lockers, as another poster did.) However, the series gradually started to lose me after that, and I think a musical score which doesn't seem to fit it well is the main problem.. Currently through episode 3, but I will probably only finish it if I end up with a weekend with nothing else to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:00 pm Reply with quote
MasterGhost wrote:

A voiceover in Episode 2 or 3 mentioned that spoiler[100 million people went missing as a result of the earthquake and tsunami], but it's still pretty weird considering that's spoiler[over 95% of the entire population. Granted though, there were still tons of people in the port scene.]

Well that explanation makes even less sense. spoiler[They're in the mountains. How'd the tsunami get all the way up there? And for an earthquake that took out tens of millions of people it sure left the roads magically untouched 99% of the time.]

Bah, whatever. It's clear the people in this forum haven given more thought to the story than the writers did. I also suspect they were trying too hard to stay loyal to the 50 year old book the show's based on, which going by what I've seen so far, has some very outdated ideas, even for Japan.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:35 am Reply with quote
Thank you for taking my suggestion for a Daily Streaming Review for Japan Sinks! So far, I’ve only seen the first 2 episodes (so manageable!).

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Panoptican wrote:
The daughter running away at first and becoming grief stricken seems like an especially realistic take.

See this is where they very nearly lost me. I could maybe see her running away if they were strangers, but she ran away from her friends and teammates who were actively calling for her help. Yes, there are people who would do that, but they're awful. I can relate to Shinji not wanting to get in the robot, but I just cannot understand how you could leave people you know without even trying to help them.

That bothered me. A lot. I know she’s just a kid and she panicked, so I’m not going to call her awful or selfish, and she does feel guilty about it. But I started noticing that there are multiple instances in the first two episodes alone in which main characters are in the position to help others, and they only actually try to help them 1 1/2 times—Mari saving the boy from drowning (good!) and Ayumu giving the water bottle to the elderly couple, but *not* asking if they can join her group, or if there’s any other way her family can help them. Everyone else they passed they ignored, even if that fellow survivor was in distress. I’m afraid it will become a pattern, or worse, a theme—“survival of the fittest, helping the elderly or injured/disabled will get you killed.” There’s enough Ableist garbage in media without an explicit anime dedicated to that POV.

Quote:
I was also surprised that the lockers weren't bolted to the floor. Japan's supposed to be earthquake proof, but even here in CA, we bolt bookshelves and filing cabinets to the wall and lockers to the floor.

Interesting! (I’m from not-earthquake savvy New York)

Quote:
Anyway, those were my biggest problems with the first two episodes, and they were far outweighed by how intense the earthquake scenes were. And the bodies dropping out of the trees... Btw, I still don't quite get why Mari's plane went down.

WHY DID MARI’S AIRPLANE GO DOWN?! It was literally flying in the sky! Above the damage! And the helicopters? I get that communication is disrupted, but why are flying vehicles affected to that extent?

Quote:
As for unexploded ordinance, we dropped a lot of bombs on Japan (over 200K tons in 1945 alone). They found one at Sendai Airport in 2012, and in Okinawa in 2019, among others. Germany unearths about 2000 tons of unexploded munitions every year. Even England is still finding uxb's (the most recent I found with a quick search was 2018).

Also, until she cleared the sign, I was fully expecting a minor quake to bury him in the grave he was digging for himself. >.>

Add me to the list of folks who think the dad suffered a dumb way to die! (Man, don’t, just, *ignore* warning signs!) And I already think some of their choices don’t make sense—why haven’t they tried to secure a vehicle? Are they refilling their bottles with water, now that they’ve found some and are still planning to travel? Having a kid jump into a body of water when he can’t swim is incredibly dangerous (Trauma will be your swim coach, kid!)
IDK. Based on other comments (and that elevator Muzak score), I guess I should be anticipating “so bad, it’s good” content from now on!
MysticGon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:30 am Reply with quote
It had a strong opening, Japan Sinks 2020. But my most anticipated anime of the year turned out to be a collection of Yuasa's worst impulses with no weight behind it. No complexity or nuance. It's scenarios are sadistic and at times incoherent. Then there is the animation which is the worst I've seen in an anime. They were going for an abstract stylistic approach probably... We'll never know because the result was a lazy, choppy, ugly mess.

I recommend you stay far away from this one unless you want a lesson in how badly an anime could drop the ball in a setting that should be filled with compelling stories. Its the antithesis of Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. It's hot garbage.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:48 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
WHY DID MARI’S AIRPLANE GO DOWN?! It was literally flying in the sky! Above the damage! And the helicopters? I get that communication is disrupted, but why are flying vehicles affected to that extent?

The best I could figure was that the underwater volcano erupted right ahead of the plane and either the pressure wave impacted it or the ash and/or water spewing up got in the engines. But the way it was storyboarded was extremely confusing, since it was in front of the plane in the first shot (with the plane apparently already banking to its right, the same direction as the ash plume), and in the next shot Mari is looking out her window to see the volcano on her right (and only after that the turbulence hits). Which means not only is the timing off, but the plane would've had to make a nearly instantaneous turn to its left - and even if that were possible, why then did it encounter ash/water/pressure wave at all? That could've easily been fixed or made clearer if the view out of Mari's window had been a cloud of ash.

As for the helicopter, I think it was overloaded and/or unbalanced with people clinging to the runners (think fall of Saigon) plus maybe people clinging to those people, and maybe someone managed to get into the cockpit and grab the pilot or the joystick or something. A bunch of people fell out of the trees, so a lot of people must've piled on.

I think the sign the dad ignored was insufficient to the danger. It seemed to only warn against digging for yams, and he may have thought it was a "no trespassing, these yams are mine!" sentiment that no longer applied under the circumstance.

Still it raises the question of why the authorities didn't go ahead and dispose of the bomb(s?) they knew about instead of fencing it off.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Still it raises the question of why the authorities didn't go ahead and dispose of the bomb(s?) they knew about instead of fencing it off.

Simple explanation for that: they didn't know exactly where they were, how many, and whether they were live or not. And they may not have known for sure that any were left in the area; they just knew that there had been issues with that before. Wouldn't be cheap to hunt them down and remove them, either, or safe; you'd need bomb disposal experts. Much cheaper to fence the area off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kusakabe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:02 pm Reply with quote
This review was great! Got me to watch the show and I'm so happy I did! My favorite anime title since Inuyashiki back in 2017.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Loved this series. I can't say too much because only episode 1 & 2 have been reviewed so far. I was surprised that the spoiler[father bought it so early on, though.]
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:14 pm Reply with quote
WizardOfOss wrote:
After the first episode, while I questioned a few things that happened (why did the plane land on a river full of bridges when it was flying above open sea when it got into trouble? Did the mother actually outswim a tsunami? Where did the father get the lights and power to illuminate the shrine?), it still felt like this could become a pretty good disaster drama.

Episode 2 made some more questionable choices, but still, not bad.

spoiler[However, from episode 3 on everything just gets more and more ridiculous, and now 8 episodes in I'm almost getting Mayoiga-vibes: is this actually meant as a drama, or is it a comedy in disguise? I still quite enjoy watching it, but for all the wrong reasons.]

It makes me wonder how much Yuasa was actually involved in the production. Apart from the story, even the art style feels off. His distinct style might not look that great when looking at stills, but really comes to live through the animation. Unless it doesn't, as in much of Japan Sinks. It almost looks like someone without his talent tried to replicate the style. And failed.

spoiler[You know a show is going downhill when a racist old fart becomes your favorite character in the show. And I still hope that kid dies a gruesome death. His random use of English annoys the shit out of me Twisted Evil]

I watched this recently and honestly, this summed up my feeligns. spoiler[By the end of the series it felt like it shifted to dark comedy, the deaths became more and more absurd and almost like a dark comedy at times, and the wonky art and animation didn't really help . I enjoyed it, but probably not for the reasons the series intended. There was a few good moments in the end, but overall it was a very awkwardly done series]
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mari's works as a member of a rescue team overseas. At least, I assume that's what Ayumu meant when she told she said "if you're so good at saving other people's children, why don't you save your own?"

I believe she's talking about her mother saving that kid from drowning in episode 1, the one they later met in episode 2.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

I still haven't watched past this episode; This series seems to confuse the disaster film with the slasher film so instead of having people you want to see survive, they give you people you're rooting to die.

And Ayumu, you are number one on the hit parade. In episode one, I was thinking "Give me a reason to like her" and in episode 2, I was thinking "OK, she's in shock so I can understand... a little... of how she's not handling the situation" but now I'm just "STOP CODDLING HER, SHE'S GETTING YOU KILLED!!"

And in regards to the toxic gas.... CO2 asphyxiation? I think of it less as an outright toxic gas as then wouldn't CPR be helpful? But breathing in nothing but carbon dioxide would probably kill the brain so maybe not? One quick search will answer it but I'd rather not know either way.... situation, it was just like the signs; I knew what happened as soon as I saw the dead birds and all Ayumu had to do was say something, they'd stop before going further DOWN; CO2 is heavier so it displaced all oxygen, O2, at that height in the valley.

That's it, that's all she had to do was open her mouth. AGAIN.

And then again in the store, I noticed all the holes in the floor. These people have the survival instincts of... dodos? "Flightless birds that walk right up to danger and get killed." App but then they'd have to be as dumb as dodos.

And then there's Kite.... more flying metaphors... An Estonian Youtuber just happens to be over Okinawa when the Earthquake hits and it sinks? And then he travels East but stops to join up with people to travel West overland?

I don't know the gliding/flight range of such a set up but he is really acting above it all... The first actual smart theme this work has produced.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:54 pm Reply with quote
^Haven't watched the show, but sulfurous gasses are the primary release from a number of volcanos or steam vents so I'd guess they were thinking of that. Like in Dr. Stone, such hot gasses are heavy and turn to sulfuric acid in the lungs which nearly instantaneously damages the tissue so oxygen can't get to the blood. Victims of such exposure can die in seconds and CPR does nothing even if administered.

Appreciating the reviews on this because I don't have to subject myself to what sounds like a really dumb show weekly to find out what I think will be the result: Everyone Dies The End... Confused
PonSquared

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:24 am Reply with quote
Dad's death was a real OMG did that just happen moment? SERIOUSLY! I even had to ask my (Japanese) wife if there are really places like that in Japan to which she replied, "I donno."

Nanami death was just a punch in the gut. I am so glad Dr. Stone explained it so well so when it happened I understood it perfectly. Still, really sucks she died like that but 'dem the breaks I guess when Japan is sinking.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:09 pm Reply with quote
PonSquared wrote:
Nanami death was just a punch in the gut. I am so glad Dr. Stone explained it so well so when it happened I understood it perfectly.

Me, too! That was exactly what went thru my head as I watched. Laughing

Quote:
I get that Haruo is a recluse forced into a group at this point but holy shit the guy who promised to keep you safe just got blown up and now all three female members of the group are in an out-and-out brawl with a rapist maybe you could [expletive] do something?

I was pretty sure he couldn’t hear the fight, just like Go, because headphones/music/sleep.

Quote:
At the top of the hill, Ayumu seems bothered by the attention Nanami is giving to Haruo and, perhaps purposefully, plans to interrupt by feigning injury only to tell Nanami she needs to pee.

I’ll have to watch it again, but that wasn’t my take. I thought it was embarrassment—she did that to pull Nanami over because she didn’t want to say she had to pee in earshot of the boy she likes.

I don’t think I feel as harshly as Lynzee about how the survivors are handling their emotions, or maybe I’m just holding off judgement for the time being—or I’ve watched too much Walking Dead. I think maybe they’re all a bit numb right now. They’ve seen so much death. Ayumu saw her whole track team get smooshed. My guess is Mari will have a bit of a meltdown later on. I’ll have to wait and see.

I enthusiastically support Lynzee’s decision to review just one episode per week. I’m doing my best to watch along with the reviews, and not jump ahead and binge the lot. So far, I’ve stayed strong. Fingers crossed I can hold out until the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4