• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Misfit of Demon King Academy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:34 am Reply with quote
thedarkemissary wrote:
Frankly, I'm surprised he hasn't just imbued himself with the knowledge of what really happened. I assume he can, if he wanted, since he's Anos.

Going by the world's internal logic, he might not be able to do that because it could fall under the "origin magic cannot affect the origin" principle.

While I understand your concerns, I'm still loving this series at this point; out of the titles that I'm not episode-reviewing, it's second only to Re:Zero as a priority view for the week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RenRen94

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:55 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying this show. Looking at the promotional art for the series, I wrote it off as a " cocky OP main character in a magic academy being overly worshiped by his insufferable harem with ecchi fanservice sprinkled in" show. But after skimming the positive review of the first 2 episodes, I decided to give it a shot. Currently there's no ecchi in sight for now (fingers crossed it stays this way), and I actually like the 3 main characters and their dynamics. A lot of this has to do with how Anos is handled, and I think Gina Szanboti hit the nail on the head in describing how taking the very tired cliche of the OP MC and making him a decent dude makes the show more enjoyable. Also, Anos is voiced by one of my fave seiyuu, Tatsuhisa Suzuki, so I have some bias, LOL.

I hope that the transfer student in the next episode will be the reincarnated Hero from Anos' past (it probably is).
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:34 am Reply with quote
thedarkemissary wrote:
The mystery of the narrative is really the only thing keeping this thing interesting. Honestly, all the spectacle of the action is rendered moot cause not even the physics of cause and effect can effect Anos. Soaring music, high speed action, fancy artwork; none of that matters. Ep.4 would have made just as much sense if Anos just showed up and announced that he wins and Ivis's plan is thwarted and Ivis just says, "okay" and gives up. None of the conflicts have any weight, given you already know how they'll resolve. It's not just that the MC wins (happens all the time), it's that NONE of the obstacles MATTER in any meaningful way. Misha has a problem, I'll solve it by being the MC. Sasha has a problem, I'll solve it by being the MC. God of Time can't beat me, cause I'm the MC. Time paradox? Not a problem, after all, I'm the MC. What makes me the Demon King? I'm the MC.
Well, here comes the thing — the Misfit isn't really about the conflicts, challenges, battles and it's outcomes — it's a story about the completely broken in terms of power level MC who obviously win in any fight, but with one clear thing — the writer is completely self-aware about the MC being ridiculously broken and acts like Deus Ex Machina in any situation, and basically making the story around that thing by letting other characters their limelight or making a nice lessons (mostly about the family ties and bonds — not only about Sasha and Misha, but with the first episode as well). So yeah, it's a complete power fantasy, but it works around well because the story itself know that it's power fantasy and where exactly it's going.

Basically it works in the same way as One Punch Man, where you put Saitama vs. any enemy, you obviously already know the outcome, no matter how much tension will this fight create — but then, the story isn't only about the Saitama fighting the things at all. Anos himself is basically a Demon King version of Jesus (who is still pretty much do his things in human way) who can overcome pretty much everything and actually already achieved most of his life goals (he literally made sacrifice 2000 years only to stop the war and made his own country peaceful), where even the part of being a Demon King works on his side — because of being nor hero of justice or saint, he can pull the evil tricks that are still works inside his alignment of being a perfect Chaotic Good character — but then, it was also not only about Anos.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:58 am Reply with quote
I really liked how the OP song for episode 4 changed to Anos VA singing it. It was a nice change of pace from the main OP.
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:47 am Reply with quote
Self-awareness is definitely a conscious choice. You don't write your MC casually spinning castles on one finger, walking through solid walls unphased, and mocking someone for assuming he'd die when killed and expect anyone to take it with a straight face.

These scenes are supposed to make you laugh in the same way Chuubyou Gekihatsu Boy does. It is unashamedly chuuni, and it revels in it. If it can say something profound or emotionally touching along the way, it's a bonus.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:17 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:

You post made me realize that there might be people who don't get the jesus references and I found that hilarious.
minamikaze

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Reviewer wrote:
To a person like Misa, Anos is a godsend. His power is proof that the cast system is flawed. If a mixed blood—much less a mixed with zero aptitude under the current system—is able to routinely overpower the purebloods, it's hard to pretend that purebloods are superior.

Moreover, what if Anos really is the Demon King reborn? In that case, that would mean that the founder himself is a mixed blood. That would shake the cast system to its very foundation.

Anos isn't mixed blood. He wears a white uniform because he was labeled as a 不適合者 (futekigousha) - someone who is unsuitable (to be the reincarnation of the Demon King), or as in the English title: a misfit - because, despite demonstrating his magical power and combat prowess, he failed the exam that tested knowledge of the original Demon King. He answered all the questions based on his own knowledge of himself, not yet knowing that the current world believes that the original Demon King was someone else.
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:30 pm Reply with quote
minamikaze wrote:
Reviewer wrote:
To a person like Misa, Anos is a godsend. His power is proof that the cast system is flawed. If a mixed blood—much less a mixed with zero aptitude under the current system—is able to routinely overpower the purebloods, it's hard to pretend that purebloods are superior.

Moreover, what if Anos really is the Demon King reborn? In that case, that would mean that the founder himself is a mixed blood. That would shake the cast system to its very foundation.

Anos isn't mixed blood. He wears a white uniform because he was labeled as a 不適合者 (futekigousha) - someone who is unsuitable (to be the reincarnation of the Demon King), or as in the English title: a misfit - because, despite demonstrating his magical power and combat prowess, he failed the exam that tested knowledge of the original Demon King. He answered all the questions based on his own knowledge of himself, not yet knowing that the current world believes that the original Demon King was someone else.

Anos is mixed blood. His father, Gusta is a demon. His mother, Izabella is human. He would have been a white uniform regardless of the tests. The patch on his shoulder is what labels him a missfit.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I was already wary of this becoming a harem, but I thought we'd mostly dodged that bullet. So I have to say I was disappointed that all of the Unitarian members are girls. Or should I say, an Anos Estrogen Brigade of fangirls. Surely there are mixed-race guys as well? Are they leaving their fate to the girls? Or just letting them do all the work and they'll reap the benefits should they succeed.

At least we got Ray to balance things a bit. He's pretty fun so far.
minamikaze

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Richard Eisenbeis wrote:
minamikaze wrote:
Reviewer wrote:

Anos is mixed blood. His father, Gusta is a demon. His mother, Izabella is human. He would have been a white uniform regardless of the tests. The patch on his shoulder is what labels him a missfit.

Oh, I did not know that was in the source material. That his mother was a human was not mentioned in the show.

EDIT: Although, just to be sure I checked and in the both the first and second episodes, and although it isn't revealed that his mother is a human, Anos is called mixed-blood and he doesn't deny it.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Interesting to see a half-demon/half-spirit. I wonder if we'll see a half-demon/half-god or half/human/half-spirit etc.

Richard Eisenbeis wrote:

Huh, interesting. I thought they were both human. They really should give the regular demons some kind of distinguishing feature :/
Speaking of, all the different races here (other than the Demon King Emperors, two of which probably weren't like Richard said), all look too human.

Quote:
While we already knew that there was a blood-based cast system in the kingdom, we now learn that, for purebloods, even birthing a half-breed is illegal with the repercussions falling across not only the “perpetrators” and the child but any related family members as well.

Was the legality mentioned somewhere else? I rechecked the part with the half sword and Misha's explanation and it just seemed like not keeping things in the demon family just led to something more akin to a social/societal death, rather than being out right against the law, but maybe I missed it somewhere.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:04 pm Reply with quote
you know, after seeing it first in Mahouka, also in some RPGs like "trails of cold steel" and now in this show I had to wonder. what's up with the inside-school caste system thing?

what's up with having them wear a different uniform? if their Society is so open about it's caste system why do they even let them enroll in the same school to begin with? is that a thing borrowed from our irl world history?
TexZero

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Richard Eisenbeis wrote:

Those aren't really his parents though.
They're as much his parents as Kurama's human mom is in Yu Yu Hakusho. The mother was mearly a vessel for his reincarnation.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:32 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
Richard Eisenbeis wrote:

Those aren't really his parents though.
They're as much his parents as Kurama's human mom is in Yu Yu Hakusho. The mother was mearly a vessel for his reincarnation.

Yeah... see, the word "hybrid" is derived from the concept of breeding, which means things like biological ancestry and birth parents (pedigree). His biological material comes from his parents, even if his spirit comes from somewhere else. The term is describing his physical ancestry, not where his spirit came from. The fact that he is actually the reincarnation of the Demon King has no bearing on whether or not he's biologically a hybrid.
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:01 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

Quote:
While we already knew that there was a blood-based cast system in the kingdom, we now learn that, for purebloods, even birthing a half-breed is illegal with the repercussions falling across not only the “perpetrators” and the child but any related family members as well.

Was the legality mentioned somewhere else? I rechecked the part with the half sword and Misha's explanation and it just seemed like not keeping things in the demon family just led to something more akin to a social/societal death, rather than being out right against the law, but maybe I missed it somewhere.

In the episode, Misha states the following:

Quote:
A royal's duty is to leave behind pureblood decendants.If any other strain is introduced, even close relatives are excluded from royality.

I interpreted that to be a legal issue--that if you interbreed as a royal, the punishment is that you and your family have your nobility stripped from you (along with, I assume, your status, lands, and all other things that come with a noble title).

This explains why all the various girls' fathers won't acknowledge the existance of their daughters--to do so would mean they and their legitimate familes lose everything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6