• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Misfit of Demon King Academy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bennyl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:50 am Reply with quote
The episode feels like a TV series that finds out four weeks before filming the season finale that it is going to be a series finale. Did they not know they only had 13 episodes to work with?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:49 pm Reply with quote
bennyl wrote:
The episode feels like a TV series that finds out four weeks before filming the season finale that it is going to be a series finale. Did they not know they only had 13 episodes to work with?

This. My head was spinning at how much they crammed into the episode.

For a series that has more consistently exceeded expectations than any other title this season, this was a significant misstep.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

"Hit it, girls!" I actually really liked their song this time. I wonder how they manage to write the lyrics and tune on the fly so that they're all together. I mean this doesn't seem like a piece they would've practiced in their songbook. Smile

I think I have only one question after all this. How did Ley appear in the shadows as Avos while he was unconscious in the center of the arena after the sword championship?

I'm perfectly satisfied with this ending. Clearly mushroom gratin is the true source of Anos' power. Lol at the spoiler[10,000 grandchildren] joke. Would watch another season gladly, but I don't think it needs one.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Would watch another season gladly

Good news, Mahouka season 2 is airing next season. It's like basically the same thing, right?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Nah, Tatsuya has no sense of humor. He couldn't tell a dad joke if his life depended on it.

I realized I have another question still: why did Ley's parents kick him out? He apparently is a pure demon after all since his mother just picked him up off the street, so what pissed them off to that extent?
Seagloom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I realized I have another question still: why did Ley's parents kick him out? He apparently is a pure demon after all since his mother just picked him up off the street, so what pissed them off to that extent?

Despite being born to a mage family, he was unable to use magic. They kicked him out before discovering his swordsmanship skills since their specialization never gave him the opportunity to demonstrate his talent.

In reality he could use magic, but only holy magic. Revealing that to anyone would have blown his cover.

Last edited by Seagloom on Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Nah, Tatsuya has no sense of humor. He couldn't tell a dad joke if his life depended on it.

Yes, but Tatsuya can create three consecutive psion waves of varying oscillation frequencies, calibrate them so that all three converge on a single spot and then generate a powerful surge. Isn't that amazing? Wink

Eh, I thought this was a pretty dumb show, but it was slightly fun, I guess. The fanclub girls' singing cracks me up. It had pretty cool opening and ending so extra points for that.

P.S. Did Anos' VA sing the opening in this last episode?
Seagloom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:

Yes.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Well I enjoyed it. The behaviour of Kanon until the last episode makes no sense but I enjoyed it. I think I would of preferred it if the humans had rejected the call to slaughter demons more (the common folks not the people from the academy). Since they had been living with and cross breeding with demon kind for 1000 years.

Ow well like this series all plot is waved away with the "A wizard did it" clause. And it was quite fun.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:54 am Reply with quote
Seagloom wrote:
Cam0 wrote:

Yes.

Not bad. Anos should create a band with his fan club.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Definitely an 'ok' ending. After watching it still wouldn't surprise me if this was an anime original ending. Still, I'd be happy to see a second season announced.

Quote:
How is it that Sasha and Misha's fusion—which is supposed to be permanent—is now temporary?
I got the impression it was more of an absorption than a fusion originally.

Quote:
I really wish the Misha/Sasha fusion was permanent—or at least something Anos would need to work at undoing. It would have added the feeling that there were some consequences to the battle—and you'd even get a potential “Tuvix” moral dilemma sometime down the road.

That would definitely be an interesting plot line to see Smile Though I don't think we'd have a Tuvix situation as it sounded like both personalities were still separate as we heard both voices.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:48 pm Reply with quote
While rushed jerga was only a disc one boss so there is plenty of material for season 2. Also Misha and the other one are two separate beings , they actually always were they are reincarnationa of two sister goddesses . Then staying as one being makes no sense .
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:49 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
While rushed jerga was only a disc one boss so there is plenty of material for season 2. Also Misha and the other one are two separate beings , they actually always were they are reincarnationa of two sister goddesses . Then staying as one being makes no sense .
Might want to spoiler tag.

Also I feel like at least a little bit of the Kanon inconsistency can be explained by spoiler[the fact that there are two Avos Dilhevia's, the second one, the one that appeared at the arena and was likely responsible for Melheis acting unpredictably at that time, is Shin Reglia who appeared in the one flashback with Anos. His right hand man.]
thedarkemissary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Sorta the point, since his psyche was destroyed and he was rendered virtually emotionless after being experimented on to be turned into a living weapon. By his own family no less. Again, maybe watch the show, before just dumping on it constantly.

Definitely makes more sense than spending 13 episodes trying to kill Anos, just so you can save Anos, after 2000 years of not dealing with Jerga, then easily dealing with Jerga by letting Anos easily deal with Jerga. Then there's the whole "I'm gonna bring peace by LITERALLY spurring on full scale war, where thousands of demons and humans will die." Or the, "I can rewrite all of demon history so that everyone forgets Anos, but I can't rewrite all of human history so that everyone forgets Jerga and Asc." Or the, "I can fix your problem, Eleonore, with a snap of my fingers, but I think I'll let you become an army of 10,000 spirit nukes, just so we have something to do in the finale."

Honestly, I'm with Richard. How is anybody watching Misfit and not scratching their head?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:51 pm Reply with quote
thedarkemissary wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Again, maybe watch the show, before just dumping on it constantly.

Again? When was before? And if I hadn't watched the show, how would I know he has no sense of humor? oO In any case, merely observing that fact is hardly "dumping on it" at all, let alone "constantly." It was simply saying why the two series aren't interchangeable, a sentiment with which it seems you agree, so I don't know why you're getting so testy about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6