• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The God of High School

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not even mad at The God of High School being so willing to brazenly rip off Dragon Ball
Ah yes. Of course. It was Dragon Ball that inspired God of High School. Not Journey to the West. Dragon Ball.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:44 pm Reply with quote
^ Huh, I thought it was Saiyuki. Smile Also, I don't recall Journey to the West having a magical wish-granting genie, as did GoHS and DragonBall.

When Mori turned into Son Goku, I was kinda kicking myself for not seeing that coming sooner, given his outfit and character design.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:45 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Quote:
I'm not even mad at The God of High School being so willing to brazenly rip off Dragon Ball
Ah yes. Of course. It was Dragon Ball that inspired God of High School. Not Journey to the West. Dragon Ball.

I don't know if you read the full review or not, but I cited Journey to the West before making the comparison to Dragon Ball and DBZ, so I don't exactly know what you're implying here.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
there's always an online manhwa reading app that you can spend some money on…

Btw, Webtoons is free to read, unless you meant to go read something else entirely, which I could understand. Smile
Ensaru64

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
there's always an online manhwa reading app that you can spend some money on…

Btw, Webtoons is free to read, unless you meant to go read something else entirely, which I could understand. Smile

Webtoons are sometimes free to read. God of High School is free to read at the moment, save for the most recent 5 chapters, which all eventually unlock after a week. Noblesse, on the other hand, is no longer free, and I guess Webtoons knows (or maybe it's the author's decision) that it's probably the most consistent one they have at least until the ending happened.
R.Obliv

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I do agree with what AksaraKishou said about there being a lot worse anime (I appreciate the fact there isn't creepy fanservice stuff going on here, or nationalist rhetoric, that's always nice). GoH is still a bad anime and being defensive isn't really helping sell the case of the webtoon. And the series, both as an anime and a webtoon, is highly derivative of other work. It is literally all of the shounen tropes, so it's completely understandable to have Dragon Ball Z comparisons. DBZ is the prototypical shounen anime and even more, it is also based on the same myth, with a focus in tournaments at the start. King Arthur has been adapted hundreds of times, but if you have a film focused on a young Arthur being tutored by Merlin, it's going to get comparisons to Sword in the Stone.

And to be honest, the author knew what he was doing using the monkey king. The first two weapons Mori uses as the Monkey King are the same ones Goku used - the staff and the cloud. It was demanding comparison. There's nothing in the anime to really say the series is anything different than Dragon Ball Z by way of Shaman King. I guess the comment earlier was because the webtoon is technically a sequel of Journey to the West and not a loose adaptation like Dragon Ball. JTTW happened, just instead of being raised to Buddhahood, Tathagata turned out to be evil and tried to kill everyone to become Maitreya. It's dumb (and I mainly summarized it because I know it will annoy people already angry with the plot as is). "It's technically not doing the exact same thing as DBZ" is not really a reason to try and discredit the DBZ comment, however.

On the other hand, rushed adaptations can be really poor. It is hard to cram a lot of material into a short amount of time. A strong plot can survive shoddy pacing, but when the strength of the work is flow of the chapters (Which is to say, enjoyable to read but not for any depth) that isn't the case. The anime hasn't really done a good job of representing a decent enough comic. Most anime watchers didn't get a fun dumb anime where the plot never got in the way of the fights. They got a mess. But writing off webtoon readers as deluded stans that think the series would be perfect with infinite episodes is a bit of an over statement - most just wanted a better anime that would let them enjoy the stuff they like with new people. Now they feel like they have to defend what they like from side eyes, and it becomes really easy to misread the criticism of the anime as one of the webtoon too, whether it is fairly perceived or not.

People being bummed that something they liked wasn't well received always leads to a lot of excuses. When an adaptation is unpopular, it is easy to feel that you now have to defend liking the source material too. Most of the webtoon readers (although not all) know the series isn't perfect - it's chapter scores have been really down, especially in recent years. Even at it's peak of popularity most would have another webtoon they preferred over the generic feeling GoH. That's not even taking into account the manga they could also be reading - which to be honest are generally better packages due to the competitive nature of magazines cutting out the weaker series. If someone who hated the anime was forced to read the webtoon chapters covered in the adaptation, I doubt they'd take anything away really; not the frustration the anime causes, nor an appreciation of some amazing series hidden in the folds of a bad anime. More just an "okay." It was a decent weekly constant with really strong fight scenes.

Last edited by R.Obliv on Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Ensaru64 wrote:
Webtoons are sometimes free to read. God of High School is free to read at the moment, save for the most recent 5 chapters, which all eventually unlock after a week. Noblesse, on the other hand, is no longer free, and I guess Webtoons knows (or maybe it's the author's decision) that it's probably the most consistent one they have at least until the ending happened.

Huh, this is the first time I've run into this. All I've seen is just authors offering new episodes earlier on paid sites like Patreon than when they put them up on Webtoons, and I've never been impatient enough to look into that more. I also remember that Noblesse had some side stories that were app-accessible-only early on, but those were no big deal.

I'd been meaning to finish up Noblesse for quite some time (got kinda bored when after a couple years in, most posts were 95% thwack!!!/btoom!!! SFX and asplosions and 5% plot progression), but I guess I won't be doing that now. Smile Thanks for the heads up.
Ensaru64

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:23 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Ensaru64 wrote:

Huh, this is the first time I've run into this. All I've seen is just authors offering new episodes earlier on paid sites like Patreon than when they put them up on Webtoons, and I've never been impatient enough to look into that more. I also remember that Noblesse had some side stories that were app-accessible-only early on, but those were no big deal.

I'd been meaning to finish up Noblesse for quite some time (got kinda bored when after a couple years in, most posts were 95% thwack!!!/btoom!!! SFX and asplosions and 5% plot progression), but I guess I won't be doing that now. Smile Thanks for the heads up.

No problem. You can still read Noblesse whenever you're feeling bored, but the website/app set up a "free daily pass" which is basically a chance to read 2 paid chapters for free each day, with each unlocked chapter staying that way for 3 days.

Otherwise, if you ever feel like reading a webtoon and isn't sure about its quality, Room of Swords is the most narratively interesting and well-written comic I've read on the site/app so far, and is definitely a high recommendation. There was a lot of thought put into the world-building, the characters and motivations and their dialog. It never feels like the series is feeding you the plot and the character dialog and motivations feel natural.
ETX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:03 am Reply with quote
Regardless of all the hate from disappointed fans and the overly-negative reviews from ANN, I thouroughly enjoyed the anime for what it was.

As an avid reader of the webtoon, sure I'm disappointed at how it turned out but the main thing I wanted to see was the fights in motion, and that's pretty much what the anime did well.

Props to MAPPA for producing some amazing visuals and animation.

However Crunchyroll can burn in hell. It's clear they don't care about the overal quality of any webtoon anime. Noblesse is up next and I'm sure it's bound to follow suit. As well as whatever manwha follows.
Ensaru64

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:42 am Reply with quote
ETX wrote:
Regardless of all the hate from disappointed fans and the overly-negative reviews from ANN, I thouroughly enjoyed the anime for what it was.

As an avid reader of the webtoon, sure I'm disappointed at how it turned out but the main thing I wanted to see was the fights in motion, and that's pretty much what the anime did well.

Props to MAPPA for producing some amazing visuals and animation.

However Crunchyroll can burn in hell. It's clear they don't care about the overal quality of any webtoon anime. Noblesse is up next and I'm sure it's bound to follow suit. As well as whatever manwha follows.

I also enjoyed it for what it was. Heck, it convinced me to read the series, not because it looked good, but because I wanted to know if it was as difficult to follow as the anime. Noblesse is a series I have fond memories of, flaws and all, so I hope they don't go with the quick pacing of the OVA.
R.Obliv

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:42 am Reply with quote
Ensaru64 wrote:
Noblesse is a series I have fond memories of, flaws and all, so I hope they don't go with the quick pacing of the OVA.

Looking at the poster and episode preview released so far, they're either adapting the first three seasons of Noblesse into 13 episodes, or they are treating the OVA as cannon to the anime and adapting the DA-5 arc and Noblese arc that followed. Probably going to be rushed either way, but the first option would require adapting 200 chapters, which would be ridiculous.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Ensaru64 wrote:
if you ever feel like reading a webtoon and isn't sure about its quality, Room of Swords is the most narratively interesting and well-written comic I've read on the site/app so far, and is definitely a high recommendation.

Thanks for the tip and the rec! In return, I'll recommend The Red King, which I'd love to see as an (unrushed) anime, but it's still in early days, so it'll be quite awhile before it would even be an option (might also be considered too western for anime?). It's got an intriguing plot and just stunningly gorgeous artwork. My other current fav is Love Advice from the Great Duke of Hell, but I just can't imagine that animated. Its art is deceptively simple and sketchy but almost everyone's a mood and the reaction faces, including the skull-heads, are pure gold. The plot may seem to be all over the place, but patience is a virtue and even apparently throw-away details end up as important threads woven back into the story sooner or later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8