• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The God of High School

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanKen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:17 pm Reply with quote
jeckersly wrote:

Did YOU write the manhwa?

Because this is a whole bunch of nonsense apologia to excuse the worst writing I’ve seen all season.

This anime is an embarrassment.

I'll see your embarrassment and raise you a "Gibiate."

Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I think the only real problem I had with this episode was how the anti-Nox faction (do they have a name?) just stood around on buildings watching the Nox wizards circle up in their summoning formation and let them call down whatever, without lifting a finger to stop them until all Heaven literally broke loose. Then they mopped the floor, I mean street with them. So they could've done that at any point. But the rooftop drum festival was pretty neat, so I'll let it slide.

{Mod edit} I edited your post as the first part was in response to another post that is gone. ~ Psycho 101
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:28 pm Reply with quote
This episode gave me the biggest laugh i have had this season when the old guy in the roof started switching between all those hilarious weapon. You know, i would legitimately love this show if at least all the tournament fights looked like what we got this episode, and i don't even mean the fluid animation but the actual choreography. Daewi's fighting finally resemble legitimate karate and Mori's is something more than super magical kicks shenanigans for a change, at least for the first half of their respective battles. On another note It is hard to care for any character when they are all so lazily written, daewi is now just there for the ride and "contribute", and mira has never been more than a filler mess of tropes (her first fight was against the other girl in the opening, the second was jobing to showcase daewi's "coldness", the third was against the only other sword chick in the series, then the latest against the people that stole her sword. Insert eye roll) also about the story when there is so little sense of danger. Mori pulling a sharingan out of his butt as if it is the most natural thing to do was just lazy and dumb, the sense of weight behind the hits is just a mess, the gorgeous animation suggested mori was getting his ass kicked for a good while and yet at the end, all he seemingly got from it was becoming tired and concerned. The problems with the power scaling in this anime is that nothing that happens seems to be consequential, mori was already kicking ass in the beginning then was giving a magical fruit for no narrative reason since everything continued as if nothing had happened, then instantly learnt some points of pressure chi thingy for no real reason since his plot armour didn't exploit it this time. Next time he seems to be going to lose i will just wonder which colour dragon jin original 4 will be. Daewi is getting power crept? Don't worry he will just continue to do offscreen training arcs. Mira will just be there for when the show needs someone to win or lose as required by the plot.

Btb, why does the president guy keep meeting with team mori's members in his office if he think they are weak? Does he also personally meet with all the other participants?

Last edited by MiloTheFirst on Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:38 pm Reply with quote
ZentrisQ#914627 wrote:
The people who say this anime is an embarrassment is insane.

The pacing's a little whack, but my god is half this stuff really not self explanatory of what Park Mujin was eluding? Borrowing Power from gods, there's deities from religion/other medium in the show behind the base of most of the abilities. Nox is following a bad god. There's a lot more to it because yea, the webcomic is much longer than what would be allowed in 12 episodes. To dismiss the whole thing as trash when this is some of the greatest fighting I've seen in an anime in a while is crazy. If you care that much about a story in what is obviously a battle shonen to a T you're dumb and wasting your energy being mad over shit you're wrong about. It's not hard to put the plot together, but like Demon Slayer, it doesn't have to do "New" things to be good. Go buy more Fruit's Basket omnibus and figurines.

Dude. If you think this show is not meant to be intellectually judged why are you reading a review of it, leave alone one made by a professional writer. If all you want is too see people praising how pretty it looks or speculating what hey imagine would fill in the blanks of the world end plot, then try a Reddit sub thread or something along those lines. Calling others named only makes you look bad
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
has a brother named Seungyon who got his leg busted up by Jegal.
Pretty sure that Seungyon is a girl and a friend of his.
Quote:
Daewi also displays a bit of icy charyeok power too
That was water.

Anyways absolutely beautiful episode.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:55 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Quote:
has a brother named Seungyon who got his leg busted up by Jegal.
Pretty sure that Seungyon is a girl

Yup, she is. It might not have mattered too much, but considering that Jegal's whole (stated) motivation for messing up her leg was him seeing her as an uppity woman...

FilthyCasual wrote:
and a friend of his.

Yes, and also Seungah's sister (it's customary in Korea to give siblings names with the same first syllable).

Quote:
(I'm still a little fuzzy as to whether Nox is working for the capital-G God of the Abrahamic tradition, though I'm sure it doesn't really matter).
FWIW the line on the sword about something existing before God is a direct quote from Dao De Jing, so... I guess not? Confused Honestly, I don't think I'd put anything past this show at this point.

The show's pacing problems have been less of an issue for me because I've been following up the episodes by reading the corresponding chapters from the webtoon and thus have been getting more of the exposition and establishing scenes the show skipped, but this time even I'm at a complete loss about what even happened in this episode (aside from "some really cool-looking Korean stuff).
R.Obliv

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:51 am Reply with quote
So I've been going back over the webtoon to check, but Jegal's misogyny is really played up in the anime and I'm not comfortable about that.

I found him making one comment he made about how he hates women interfering in his fights in the webtoon, which was followed by sexist comments ("blah blah blah, so noisy"), but he didn't complain directly about women fighting as a whole and doesn't show that behavior again in the webtoon. This whole "women shouldn't fight" thing feels out of place even for a generically evil character like him - particularly when his number 2 is also a woman. Furthermore, the attack on Seungyon was more of him being a dick and purposefully landing an illegal move which resulted in injury, as opposed to him attacking her after the fight due to her being a woman. As hurting his opponents in the guise of fighting is basically Jegal's entire personality in the webtoon, it feels completely in line with him and not at all targeted against Seungyon due to her gender. I just feel like there are unintended consequences of making prejudice a defining aspect of a character, particularly when you are adapting a work where sexism isn't central to the aforementioned character or their actions within the plot. Which is to say, it comes across as a half-assed way of making someone more hateable, without actually having any plans for a payoff in the narrative. His rivals are all men, his major fights are going to be against men, so his comments are never really going to be proven wrong by any of the women in the cast. It is just a really lazy, ill-thought addition.

Anyway, other than that, I really liked the fights this episode and always enjoy characters that bring a crew along to a fight purely to play their hype music. I do miss how the webtoon was more consistent about the strength of the characters and the power scaling, however. It would hammer you over the head with that in the webtoon - who was stronger than who, what attacks did what and so on.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:11 pm Reply with quote
So basically... this is the whole shonen anime genre distilled down to its essence, with all of its flaws on full display. The entire premise is that most predictable of shonen tropes - the tournament arc - and it's executed with an utterly cynical level of barely-give-a-shit, at least in so far as the writing goes (admittedly, the animation is way better than this deserves).
jeckersly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:57 pm Reply with quote
HOLY SHIT

This show is so [expletive] bad, LOLOLOL.

Fights aren’t even cool anymore since caring about martial arts has gone out the window.

Easily the worst of the season relative to any potential and expectations it had.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It also doesn't speak very well of the comic, in my opinion, if the reverse argument is that the fight scenes from it simply cannot be appreciated without the visual flourishes that MAPPA's decidedly overqualified staff provide every week.
What monkey said that lol, the webtoon has great art and fights.

On the downside, there's more speeding through material and trimming that leaves anime-onlies in the dust. On the upside, blue eyes and Il-Pyo headpatting Mori.
Kami-koto

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:41 am Reply with quote
This was the worst change from the webtoon by far. Since they changed the tournament rules in the anime to make the matches shorter, I kind of saw this coming but I'm still disappointed. In the webtoon Mori didn't get any silly powerups in his fight with Ilpyo. Ilpyo got a lot of damage but wiped the floor with Mori after transforming. Mira then barely managed to finish Ilpyo off, which was pretty nice.

The webtoon only gets worse as it goes on, but I'm sad the anime doesn't even manage to include the few good scenes of its source material.
R.Obliv

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:30 am Reply with quote
I don't get some of these adaptation changes. Mori defeating Il-Pyo is kind of bad, and unlike the webtoon there isn't even the uncertainty whether or not Il-Pyo's charyeok is the key. Nox's goals are different here as well, but in a less comprehensive way (in the webtoon they serve all of the gods). In this episode alone, they've removed Mira's best fight scene, had Mori leave the hospital ward before the Jugok attack and, for that matter, have kept Jugok's transformation without any of the character or plot stuff around it. Like, why not just have Jugok be eaten in his initial fight with Jegal instead? Jegal was already heading to attack Il-Pyo in this episode, unlike in the webtoon, so Jugok was unneeded for pushing Jegal to accidentally hurt Il-Pyo's friends. The anime could have given Jugok some more time, detailing his life and goals, as GoH did in the webtoon, making him a real character (if a basic one) and then just immediately have him be eaten by the shark. Also grieving the death of his last living relative would at give an explanation as to what Jugok's grandfather is doing while the other members of the Six fight Nox.

The anime should have made improvements to the flow of the story so it could stand alone and not be dependent on the webtoon to give answers. The Webtoon outright explains what the key does in the next arc, why not move that explanation to this arc? The nature of gods, monsters and humans is also a plot element in a later arc, but the anime isn't guaranteed later arcs - so just have Mujin explain it here. spoiler[Charyeok was given to the humans by the gods to help them fight monsters, but this also created a taboo. The gods can no longer be hurt by humans due to a taboo, and so they exist above humanity. Nox serves the god's will, Mujin and allies serve humanity, thus making them enemies to Nox. The key is a being whose hate of the gods facilitates breaking of the taboo. Mujin wants the key so he can fight the gods for humanity. That's the context, just explain that to the audience. The anime instead suggests anything but.] What the anime needs is context, not a fight scene with a character the viewer knows nothing about without reading the webtoon, that serves no purpose in this adaptation.

Beyond these adaptational issues, this episode shows there is also a problem with the overall anime's direction - it just feels like a bunch of scenes stitched together without any narrative flow. Characters will move from location to location off-screen without really any acknowledgement in the prior scene that they were heading out, people who should be in a rush to get to the key don't seem to be, and scenes with Nox and scenes with the tournament often feel unrelated. There is no effort to make stuff flow together.

Oh, small edit, but I just want to add: Nobody should feel the need to read the webtoon if they don't want to. You should never feel forced to watch or read anything that you don't want to, be it by fans of the series or the anime itself. Media should be able to stand up on its own - the webtoon just works as a good comparison piece for the anime because the webtoon is telling the same basic story in a much better fashion. Both have good art as their selling point, just one doesn't taint that by making it's story such a confusing mess. At least until the Ragnarok arc, then the webtoon became a complete mess in desperate need for an ending that refuses to appear.
jeckersly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:33 am Reply with quote
R.Obliv wrote:
Oh, small edit, but I just want to add: Nobody should feel the need to read the webtoon if they don't want to. You should never feel forced to watch or read anything that you don't want to, be it by fans of the series or the anime itself. Media should be able to stand up on its own...

This right here. This so much. Nothing else needs to be said.

It's pathetic when fanboys yell at anime only people to read the source material to understand the shitty adaptation.

If the adaptation can't stand on its own, it shouldn't exist.

Simple as that.
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Why does Ipyo's power manifest now, of all times? Why is the audience expected to understand how much of a power increase this is when Fox Ipyo's powers aren't that much more elaborate than everyone else's normal charyeok abilities? Why is Mori able to just…be stronger whenever it is convenient, and at seemingly random times? Why is nobody in this show the least bit impressed by the universe-shattering implications of the things they see and learn every week!?

I have been more entertained by the reviewer's descent into madness than I have the actual content of God of High School.

That being said, I hope James gets proper counseling to guide through this difficult time.
R.Obliv

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:30 am Reply with quote
Man, what a rushjob of an episode. Nothing is given time to breathe, any time a fight begins it is over immediately and there's an abundance of stuff happening but none of it feels important.

I'm really not sure who this adaptation is for, particularly in the back half where rushing is the only thing that matters; webtoon fans can get some enjoyment out of seeing the battles animated, but often they are only adapting parts of the battle so they can fit everything in within 13 episodes, which is irksome (episode 5 and 10 are exceptions). Conversely anime only watchers are getting flashy animation without any substance - and as things get bigger the lack of substance makes the emptiness more noticeable.

There are also a lot of changes here that make things more confusing not less - the one that really stood out to me, however, was the alchemy scene creating a giant stake from the nuclear warheads, as opposed to just a much bigger bomb like in the webtoon. That change made the scene more fantastical and nonsensical because the anime has gone hard on making the events more difficult to follow for the audience, not less. It is also a choice that this Nox fight, which was largely off screen and in the background to the more interesting Jegal fights in the Webtoon, is in the foreground for the anime instead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8