• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The God of High School

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't think building up the character and the setting is worth the time, nothing that's has been shown in the first 2 episodes makes me interested in any of it (I was also really annoyed when she apologized for something that was 100% his fault). I don't see the main drawn from the show ever shifting away from action and choreography, so I'd rather they just double down on that. Like instead of the sword in water sequence, couldn't we have seen some of the fights that the show just skipped over (why setup a tournament if you skip 75% of the fight)?

Similarly I can't bring myself to care about the character fighting style and such since we're only on episode 2 it's already all about energy beam, super fast "teleportation" and perfectly executed hit that somehow deal no damage. Does it really matter what martial school they practice when it'll all come down to how much chi (or w/e they'll call it) everyone has?
micah007

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I knew a problem for enjoying this adaptation would be exposure to perfunctory plot elements. The bonding scene in Episode 2 was fine but you can't escape a noncommittal feeling to the scene since it is nothing that hasn't been seen before, something that I'd argue you'd be harsher with depending on your experience as an anime watcher, in other anime. This is less of a problem later but that assumes you're still following the series by then. I am glad the review appreciated the philosophical clash between the fighting styles seen in Episode 2 and the subtle character elements that can be discerned from that. The action so far has been as intense as I remember from reading the Webtoon and I hope that MAPPA can maintain this level of quality.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Something I appreciate is that they got rid of the panty shoots.

Mira is always flashing her panties in the Manhwa and the worse part is that they are not even good shoots, they are mostly white triangles with no details and only made me question why the freaking hell she doesn't use pants and damaged my suspension of disbelief.

The scenes where she flashes are still present but they add stuff/shadows to cover her, still silly she fights in a sailor fuku though.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:27 pm Reply with quote
If this is supposed to be the Crunchyroll answer to Netflix’s MMA themed anime like Kengan Ashura and Baki, fast forwarding through the first round is a gigantic misstep. The first two shows use their fights not only to show cool fights, but build their supporting casts. And this show wasted it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm liking this so far except for the rosy noses, but I just shook my head at the Crunchyroll product placement on the arena. While it does make sense as a place where ads would show up, it still felt cheap for them to use their own logo for it. NBD, just groan-worthy.

Did the nanobots fix Mira's eyes? I kept trying to decide whether she still needed glasses or not. If they didn't, why not? And if Gamdo had died before passing out or giving up, could they fix that? I'm not quite clear on the concept yet, beyond a plot device to allow unbridled mayhem. Smile
andramus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:23 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Something I appreciate is that they got rid of the panty shoots.

Mira is always flashing her panties in the Manhwa and the worse part is that they are not even good shoots, they are mostly white triangles with no details and only made me question why the freaking hell she doesn't use pants and damaged my suspension of disbelief.

The scenes where she flashes are still present but they add stuff/shadows to cover her, still silly she fights in a sailor fuku though.

I have a slightly different take. My problem with the way the panty flashing is generally presented in anime is the character being embarassed about it. Now that's fine if it's an unexpected flash such as a sudden gust of supernatural wind when a woman is just walking down the street or somesuch. However if a woman is jumping, kicking and flipping around then flashing what's under her skirt is to be expected and her getting embarrassed about it bothers me.

On the other hand if the woman is wearing something not overly revealing under her skirt and is comfortable with flashing whatever that is then it makes sense to me and I don't have a problem with it.

For example if a gymnast was wearing a leotard with a skirt and did a triple backflip revealing the bottom half of her leotard under the skirt most people wouldn't think that was out of place. When I was a teenager I probably would have been inclined to freeze frame that kind of imagery but just because I was lecherous doesn't mean that the outfit was unsuited for the activity. How something is presented and how it is received are two different things.
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
If this is supposed to be the Crunchyroll answer to Netflix’s MMA themed anime like Kengan Ashura and Baki, fast forwarding through the first round is a gigantic misstep. The first two shows use their fights not only to show cool fights, but build their supporting casts. And this show wasted it.

No this show is not an competitor in any way to Kengan or Baki.
It's closest analogs would be Dragon Ball, Gintama or the aformentioned JoJo in the article.

A lot is being lost due to the expediated nature of the show right now as the producer really wanted to push us into the meat of the series so they're intentionally cutting some character building in favor of doing simple motivations with a sprinkling of guess the mythical/historical/romaticized influences for the characters.

This can be seen with Daewi fight the most which ironically the reviewer kinda missed out on or at the very least failed to elaborate on. The stances of his attacks are very key to understanding who he's loosely based on. It's also important to note that Daewi didn't showcase the 4th form of that final attack and showed mercy.
Flipdew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Tbh let's start with the fact that they went through the tournament extremely fast, they practically don't show any of the flashbacks/backstories of the characters by showing 1 second image flashes both here and in other episodes. Everything about this episode is a fudge you to the original by changing most stuff for the worse. In the manhwa the fight against Miseon is much longer and Mira gets way more beat up, the only reason Mira wins is because Miseon doesn't know if sacrificing an arm to win is worth it and she backs out after a tough fight. Daewi v Chan is also longer and pretty close between them, Chan even copies the 3 kick move Mori used to beat Gan and in the end he gets up once again to fight before passing out, there's even a backstory for him to show why he is doing this and how powerful he really is. Mori v Q is a WHOLE different story, in the anime the 3 second match feels extremely anticlimactic before becoming a supposed more serious match where Q pulls out a Stand (that doesn't exist) and proceeds to beat up Mori to a pulp, while in the manhwa the Joker is just a representative image to signify his killing intent, the fight is mostly one sided where Mori beats the hell out of Q which gives Q the nickname "The Loser". In the manhwa the fruit is not given to Mori, he finds it in the depths of the facility in a room where an old man is locked up, the man is training to be able to eat the fruit which kills you if your body can't hold it's power. After dumb Mori releases him, the old man punctures Mori's heart which leaves him dying there until the next morning which eventually makes the fight against Q even more impressing. The fruit isn't what's killing him, his wound is, in fact Mori is so powerful that not only does his body stand the power of the fruit but the fruit doesn't power him up practically at all. There are 2 great fight scenes cut from the episode and are most likely not gonna appear. I still don't understand why the team thought it made senseto change it to have the bad guy give his biggest threat (which they know he is) a fruit that is supposed to power him up drastically if eaten.

This adaptation is nothing but a joke, the fights are a downgrade, the backstories are not shown and thus we don't care about the characters, some characters are not given the respect they deserve, and the team doesn't even realize that a stand isn't a stand at all but just an image used to represent something which definitely proves that the changes they are making are decided by a team that genuinely doesn't know wtf they are doing. And it's even funnier that even the manhwa has a better opening than the anime, yeah Webtoon released an opening 4 years ago in YouTube that is surprisingly better which just shows that these guys can't even surpass that.

THE WHOLE ADAPTATION SO FAR IS A JOKE, and I find it an insult to the original.
I still give the team taking care of the fight scenes props as some of the sakuga is even better than the original. But seriously whoever is pulling the strings on the rest is an idiot.
TexZero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Flipdew wrote:
THE WHOLE ADAPTATION SO FAR IS A JOKE, and I find it an insult to the original.
I still give the team taking care of the fight scenes props as some of the sakuga is even better than the original. But seriously whoever is pulling the strings on the rest is an idiot.

The adaptation is happening with the express consent of the Manwha artist and had his blessing to cut the very stuff you're complaining about.

Does that make him an idiot ?
Source - https://youtu.be/rHgxoRz_qC0?t=339
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:17 am Reply with quote
While i admit the rushed pacing is a bit much and the character develoment is thin, I still think there is enough to keep me invested and the mythical allusions i'm seeing are also enough to keep me invested.

That combined with the solid fighting is enough for me to recommend the show on the basis of a fun combat show.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I honestly can not understand why this show and its original comic were being hyped to no end. is it pretty to look at? absolutely. can it be action popcorn material? sure. but that's it, the story is as generic as fighting anime can get except remarkably faster paced (which i actually prefer) and it just dumped its selling point as a "martial arts" show by switching to full on telekinetic/spiritual power system and now freaking stand users because why the hell not. not that it was any loyal to martial arts at all to beginning with. there is the karate guy whose fighting doesn't look like karate, the Japanese sword chick who does that default kendo stance everyone can identify and that's it, the protagonist who the show claims practice taekwondo because nationalism even though there is no nuance in his kicks to suggest they are anything but cool looking kicks.

what was even the narrative purpose of the mysterious-spiritual-peach-super-fruit? the MC was already depicted as overpowered, and in a tier of its own, when he effortlessly beat the bad OP taekwondo dude, he didn't need any random spontaneous power up no one ask for just to get the same reality check he would have gotten without said fruit.

I will continue to watch this series as it is still entertaining, but I just don't get all the hype the readers from the source material were giving it
TichoSlicer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe the show really should just stick to the flashy fight scenes, and leave the storytelling to…well, anyone else, really.

Yeap, i thought the same after this s*** a** epi... Man, how da f*** can an author/director f*** a show SO F***ING FAST? I really dont understand... And the worst part is that next week the MC will use the 'talk no jutsu' or the 'friendship no just' with that stupid Daewi and everything will go back to normal hahaha They will all forget how that idiot did a 180° and became a f***ing baby throwing a show at the end... ¬¬ (anime only here btw)
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Now, if you're the type that reads these reviews before watching the show itself

Raise hand. I've been on the fence about continuing this show and hummmmm yeah I think I'm dropping out here. How the heck do you mess up a tournament arc?! Especially when your entire show is a tournament!
micah007

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Not alot to say except that the wedding mini story was random and poorly constructed in the manhwa when I read it so I knew this episode wouldn't go over well with viewers.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:50 pm Reply with quote
When the episode begun and i saw the dumb marriage proposal my first reaction was "seriously, this dumb cliche filler nonsense?" So i proceeded to fast forward the episode only to get a huge whiplash when i suddenly saw her already in a bride dress just by the half time mark. I straight up said out loud "excuse you, what?", Lol. Now we are supposed to look forward to next week, when the irritating shounen protagonist MC will teach his fallen into the dark side friend the errors of his way.....

Seriously though, this whole daewi became a cold hearted bastard thing is so dumb. While it is easy to make the case that he was being scummy by specifically aiming for the abdomen laceration he saw her get just the day before, from another angle one could say he was just respecting her as a warrior by taking her that much seriously,. And we were apparently supposed to think his force was excessive and she could have obtain permanent damage... In a show that went out of is way to tell us that their nano machines can even fix a broken neck, in fact, why was she still injured on that fight? This show just keeps shooting itself in the foot
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8