• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Dragon's Dogma Anime Reveals Staff, Visual, September Debut

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:50 am Reply with quote
For all the interest Netflix have suddenly developed in Anime in recent years, they do not seem to care what they make, and good shows seem to be pure flukes of luck.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:31 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Netflix shows only seem to last a couple of seasons regardless of popularity so I wouldn’t be surprised if it ends in another season or so anyway. But Netflix still hasn’t addressed the allegations against The Dragon Prince creator yet either.

The rumor is that show is done due to poor ratings and the rest of the story will continue in novel form, but they have a panel at Virtual SDCC about said franchise, so we’ll see there. If they just cancelled the show because if couldn’t draw flies, they don’t have to address the toxic work environment.

Castlevania, being much more popular and greenlit for a fourth season, is much harder. Yeah, in a perfect world, Ellis is thrown out on his ass and we move on to future Belmont’s like this is JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, and with less Ellisms, but he’s the executive producer, head writer, and according to most sources, the only real writer on the show. I’m not sure you can get rid of him.

At the very least, Dragon’s Dogma is completely unconnected to the loose confederation of shows that were all going to be thematically similar (and probably written by Ellis) under Adi Shankar’s production company. So it gets to avoid that stench.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:50 pm Reply with quote
@MarshalBanana Anime is cheap. That´s why Netflix opened the flood games. They also don´t own or actively produce most of these shows.
The subscribers also seem fine with what they are getting, thus the middling quality of many of the Netflix "anime originals". So the true fault liest with the customers. We are fine with cheap slob so slob is what we get. They are much better with cartoons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Yet again Netflix goes with CG, but couldn't even go with one of the better CG studios? What a huge letdown

I do wonder why that is. Netflix's anime originals ("original" or actual original) often are CG. Is it because it's aimed a more western audience and westerners are more use to CG and view 2D as cheap so Netflix goes that route? Or is it the CG studios themselves going to Netflix while the 2D studios don't? Speaking of other things like Castlevania, I do find it a bit ironic that the best looking Netflix original animations aren't even anime. Granted, there's still a lot of low budget and CG cartoons in Netflix as well, but if more Netflix original anime looked like Castlevania or Seis Manos rather than this or Ghost in the Shell it would definitely be my preference. Even CG anime that's toted as being well animated like Beastars I find to be pretty unappealing by comparison.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I guess Netflix is looking hard for a Castlevania replacement.

I mean it’s not like their gonna replace the show, it’s been very successful for them. They are just gonna remove the controversial element & replace him with someone else.

It’s not like you can’t have multiple successful shows.

The "Controversial Element" is the reason it was good. You can't simply replace Warren Ellis, the man's a legend.
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how they're going to construct a story when the entire script is, "FIRE WORKS WELL!" and "SOAKED TO THE BONE!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2