• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- [2020-07-13]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:28 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Speaking of those gauntlets, were they mentioned before or is this the first time we know about them?

In the anime it's the first time. In the books Subaru notices them in Ryuzu's replacement house while talking to her about clones etc (her actual house is the one Roswaal took over, so she stayed at Garf's). Ryuzu tells him back in the day the cat siblings' pastime would be to "spar" by bashing into eachother with those shields.
Ohm_0_

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:42 am Reply with quote
OrdepNM wrote:
Covnam wrote:
Speaking of those gauntlets, were they mentioned before or is this the first time we know about them?

In the anime it's the first time. In the books Subaru notices them in Ryuzu's replacement house while talking to her about clones etc (her actual house is the one Roswaal took over, so she stayed at Garf's). Ryuzu tells him back in the day the cat siblings' pastime would be to "spar" by bashing into eachother with those shields.

Correction. We did get a glimpse of this in the anime in Ryuzu's house. It was never brought up but we did see it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:47 am Reply with quote
T-they... they... ACTUALLY went back to the mansion???!!!!

*faints in shock*
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:50 am Reply with quote
^ Don't worry they'll go back to Sanctuary later on, we see in the OP Beatrice and Subaru going against the bunnies

...Maybe it was a good idea not to have the OP?
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:54 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
T-they... they... ACTUALLY went back to the mansion???!!!!

*faints in shock*

The bet between Subaru & Roswaal stipulated that Subaru was to prevent the disasters that would befall both Sanctuary and Manison without reviving in 3 days. Its only natural he go back after settling the matter of Emilia's inability to overcome the trials. If he doesn't do that we get retread of last couple loops in part 1 & he loses & must follow Roswaal's plans in the next life via contract.

Yes the OP did spoil but it's pretty natural conclusion if think about it after last couple addressed the matters with Garf, Emilia & Ryuzu who were intergal to problems on the Sanctuary. The Manison slightly simpler affair in comparison.

Last edited by Iron Maw on Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:58 am Reply with quote
I think Blood- was just just joking that it took so many episodes it seemed like they’d never get back there.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:58 am Reply with quote
Ah okay.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:07 am Reply with quote
In terms of skipped content, only very minor things:

-When Subaru says Echidna may have given Betty the wrong book she, besides refusing to believe Echidna would do that kind of mistake asks "Would you doubt your own mother's words?" To which Subaru claims he hasn't believe a word her mother says at face value since she heard on the news a satellite had fallen off the atmosphere and told Subaru a satellite had fallen on Aichi Prefecture.

-Ryuzu says she had deliberately told the Sanctuary people to not go near Emilia up to this point, to avoid anyone throwing abuse at her if/when she had trouble with the trials.

-Also Ryuzu and Milde (the old granny from the village) have been talking and become somewhat friends, which is how this show of support from both sides came to be. Emilia thinks this friendship between people of different races is a precious thing. Milde is also surprised that Emilia, a royal candidate, remembers her name, but Emilia tells her "You've probably been dealing with kings with poor memory. I'm very good at learning things."

---

The anime also did flub one thing. In the books, when Fortuna finishes doing Emilia's hair she tells her to go look in the mirror, which causes Emilia to freeze up and use the knock on the door as an excuse to not do so. In the anime, Emilia goes to the mirror on her own initiative -somewhat absent minded I suppose- and only remembers where she's going midway. It hasn't come across very clearly in the anime but Emilia up to this point avoids looking at her own reflection, as all the verbal abuse she was subjected to seeped into her appreciation of her identity. In fact, she hasn't looked at her reflection at least since she formed a contract with Puck because, in his overprotective style of love, the spirit knew of this complex of hers and made it easier for her by tying it into their pact: Emilia is not to go near large bodies of water and Puck has the right to do her hair every morning, plus he always removed every mirror from a room before she enters. With this in mind you can appreciate how the last scene of the trial, when Emilia finally looks at herself for the first time in several years, is sort of a capstone to her old frightened and coddled self.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:28 am Reply with quote
Echidna keeps being the most interesting character. She's a puzzle, a complete enigma. At the end of the previous cour she showed her true colors and supposedly that was it: she was unable of having emotions and anything she shows on her face is a calculated choice to manipulate people... but now we have her here, twice in this cour, showing outbursts of emotions that don't seem to serve any ulterior motive, for now at least.
You really really can't trust the words of a witch. Or mostly anyone in this show to be honest.

And for a moment I forgot there was a high.stakes battle at the mansion with three battle zones and another unsolved point of conflict. This season's handling of pacing and tension is... let's say weird.

OrdepNM wrote:
In fact, she hasn't looked at her reflection at least since she formed a contract with Puck because, in his overprotective style of love, the spirit knew of this complex of hers and made it easier for her by tying it into their pact: Emilia is not to go near large bodies of water and Puck has the right to do her hair every morning, plus he always removed every mirror from a room before she enters. With this in mind you can appreciate how the last scene of the trial, when Emilia finally looks at herself for the first time in several years, is sort of a capstone to her old frightened and coddled self.

Huh, I had noticed she was afraid of the mirror, but that's it. I thought it would be because of more recent learnings. It's a bit melodramatic tbh
That's another thing to watch out for on a rewatch: are there any mirror in scenes where Emilia is present?
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Huh, I had noticed she was afraid of the mirror, but that's it. I thought it would be because of more recent learnings. It's a bit melodramatic tbh
That's another thing to watch out for on a rewatch: are there any mirror in scenes where Emilia is present?

Other than the 2nd ED, Emilia is actually never shown near any mirrors. Tappei himself stated in a tweet that people show ignore that lol.

Is it really melodramatic when for nearly her entire life Emilia has been treated differently because of her looks even by the elves themselves tho? The Witch of Envy equivalent the Satan/Voldemort/Sauron or detestable vile figures of the highest order. Emilia exist is a serious matter in this world to point even higher beings like Great Spirits such Melakeura have attempted to execute her for it, believing it is for the greater good so it's not just humans who are highly disturbed by her. That's even before getting int o our favorite murder cult whom also persecutes any half-elf that bears the likeness of Satella. Its not hard for me to see why Emilia would subconsciously grow to hate her self and wish she anyone else or different than she does. Its practically tied to every part of her conflict such her astonishing lack of self-confidence.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

Like Iron Maw said she appears in the 2nd ED brushing her teeth in front of a mirror. Oops. Besides that, the closest she comes to breaking that part of the pact is in the very first episode, she's shown sitting atop a bridge over some pool/large fountain thing but importantly, she has her back turned to the water below.

There's also the question of whether the large open bath that everyone appears to use for bathing (at least until Rem filled it with mayo, I sure hope someone cleaned that up) counts as a large body of water and if so how has Emilia been showering, but such questions are likely to remain unanswered.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:20 am Reply with quote
On your second point OrdepNM, Tappei has mentioned that Puck has removed/manipulated reflective surfaces in so I imagine she bathed normally in those instances without seeing her her face in the water.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:15 am Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
On your second point OrdepNM, Tappei has mentioned that Puck has removed/manipulated reflective surfaces in so I imagine she bathed normally in those instances without seeing her her face in the water.

Right, on further consideration, I doubt running bathwater on a well lit bathroom is even reflective enough to be worthy of concern. Otoh Puck probably had his word cut out for him applying anti reflection material to all the glass panels in the walls of the mansion, those are almost certainly reflective when looked from the outside.

That said, it's the least important detail to fret over, but sometimes you end up discussing the weirdest things, specially between seasons/volumes and when the WN is on hiatus. Like that time Tappei said there's toilets in Re:Zero and they use magic crystals and people were discussion why you'd even need "redstone" to operate a toilet. Fun times
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I thought the "what if Emilia's mom is Minerva?" thing was a crack theory but I see now where the basis for that comes from and it's pretty darn strong. But on the other hand, Minerva is emotional as fudge so just about any kind of relationship might leave her like that.
Even more interesting is that Emilia didn't recognize the body in the glass coffin as Echidna's... what gives? And her face was hidden. I assumed her face in Ryuzu's flashback was hidden to conceal her emotions but there might be something else going on. Echidna was enough of a puzzle before introducing the possibility of there being two of them! Now I'm doing stupid shit like looking at her weird eyelashes and comparing them to Pandora's...

On the mansion side of things, I guess Subaru isn't as much of a Senku as he thinks he is lol
There was a LOT to unpack with Elsa, Jesus... Although I'm not sure about that "finale", surely letting a vampire have your blood isn't a very good idea, and after that she should have enough "energy" to recover from being crushed? Afterall she managed to rebuild half her head in no time (in retrospect, it's weird that she couldn't heal Puck's freeze-burn while battling Reinhard).That scene of her struggling as Garfield (this cat has no chill) pinned her down was particularly uncomfortable, being just minutes after her backstory exposition.
And I guess Frederica is really fond of little girls, huh?

And for the last part, Roswaal keeps getting blindsided by everyone's intentions. First he misjudged Subaru, then Emilia, now he can't accept Ram. For as much of a puppetmaster as he is (but I guess the BOOK is actually), he's a terrible judge of character. He knows A Lot of stuff but he gets so flustered whenever things deviate form his plans and guesses, I don't dislike that Roswaal. That is, until he was petty enough to attack Ram when the damage was already done. But I'm confident she will survive, otherwise Subaru would have already lost the bet. And you can't just kill off the world's most adorable maid.
pip25

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Awesome episode, they more than made up for the time they've spent on the trial last week. It felt way longer than even 30 minutes, the fights were well-animated and thrilling, teamwork saved the day - best episode of the arc for me so far (even if it's not really fair to compare this to buildup episodes).
One thing I don't get is why the vampire-lady ran out of regen-juice just before getting squashed by the ma-hippo, but whatever, it was still awesome. Really looking forward to next week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 40 of 47