• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Climax

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sisyphusson66

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:39 am Reply with quote
alaskaslim wrote:
Sisyphusson66 wrote:

Their relationship did not start out fake, nor is their relationship irreparably damaged.

It did start out fake; that's part of the problem in Hiki and Yukino's eyes, as they're conditioned to hate superficiality.

Yui is ahead of them in realizing even if the circumstances for the relationship were forced, that doesn't mean genuine desires and dynamics can't arise.

She knows that, in part, as sees that in her other group.

Ultimately what makes a relationship genuine is the two or more sides choosing to come together simply for each other's company. Being genuine is a process, an action, not a state.

Whatever "fakeness" hangs about these relationships doesn't automatically make them lack value.

It started out superficial, not fake. They were forced into their situation, yes, but as you said, forced relationships (isn't that what high school is in general?) can breed genuine, lasting relationships. All three of them have probably become better people for their relationship. It became fake when their reasons to keep the relationship no longer matched the perceived growth within their relationship. Something fake has value in trying to be the genuine article and requires effort, whereas something that remains superficial lacks any effort, growth and substance.
alaskaslim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:40 am Reply with quote
Sisyphusson66 wrote:

It started out superficial, not fake. They were forced into their situation, yes

I'm speaking to Yukino's hidden initiative here; she created the Service Club specifically to fix Hiki, yet she never reveals to him that this is the purpose. So she is faking their relationship to a degree. She's not just superficially insisting "You're going to learn to be social by talking with me and helping others" etc. etc. she's also hiding her motives.

This is all very similar in premise to Haganai and its "Neighbor's club". Wataru Watari knows the writer, knows that story, and it seems apparent that Oregairu is his take on it.

I'm not denying that parts of their situation weren't forced. Sensei's own plans clearly extended beyond what Yukino had in mind, and the bet itself was the former's plot to coax the latter further out of her comfort zone. The bet forced Yukino to engage Hiki, learn who he is, rather than just indifferently "adjusting" him.
Sisyphusson66

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:49 pm Reply with quote
alaskaslim wrote:
Sisyphusson66 wrote:

It started out superficial, not fake. They were forced into their situation, yes

I'm speaking to Yukino's hidden initiative here; she created the Service Club specifically to fix Hiki, yet she never reveals to him that this is the purpose. So she is faking their relationship to a degree. She's not just superficially insisting "You're going to learn to be social by talking with me and helping others" etc. etc. she's also hiding her motives.

This is all very similar in premise to Haganai and its "Neighbor's club". Wataru Watari knows the writer, knows that story, and it seems apparent that Oregairu is his take on it.

I'm not denying that parts of their situation weren't forced. Sensei's own plans clearly extended beyond what Yukino had in mind, and the bet itself was the former's plot to coax the latter further out of her comfort zone. The bet forced Yukino to engage Hiki, learn who he is, rather than just indifferently "adjusting" him.

I wonder the extent in which this actually impacts their relationship in the beginning. I mean, would she have acted differently otherwise? Even if she had a hidden initiative (I would assume it has to do with the accident that precede the series, otherwise I struggle to think of why she would go so far for someone she didn't even know), her motives for the relationship still match with their relationship as it was. Also helps that Hiratsuka-sensei pretty much puts him there with that same purpose, which she does verbalize. However, when her relationship with Hachiman evolved and her motives remained the same, then it became fake.
alaskaslim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Sisyphusson66 wrote:
alaskaslim wrote:
Sisyphusson66 wrote:

I'm speaking to Yukino's hidden initiative here; she created the Service Club specifically to fix Hiki, yet she never reveals to him that this is the purpose. So she is faking their relationship to a degree.

I wonder the extent in which this actually impacts their relationship in the beginning.

I believe this is why she said she couldn't be his friend.

https://imgur.com/a/u0YNo

She can't give him that even as a pretense; earning the ability to have friends is precious to her, and it'd be a lousy start to have her first friend be someone she's hiding things from.

Equally, from the start and to the end, their relationship is that of "instigator" and "victim".
I don't believe she ever truly moves past that, though before she realized Yui had feelings for Hiki she may have been considering it.
Sisyphusson66

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:46 pm Reply with quote
alaskaslim wrote:
Sisyphusson66 wrote:
alaskaslim wrote:
Sisyphusson66 wrote:

I'm speaking to Yukino's hidden initiative here; she created the Service Club specifically to fix Hiki, yet she never reveals to him that this is the purpose. So she is faking their relationship to a degree.

I wonder the extent in which this actually impacts their relationship in the beginning.

I believe this is why she said she couldn't be his friend.

https://imgur.com/a/u0YNo

She can't give him that even as a pretense; earning the ability to have friends is precious to her, and it'd be a lousy start to have her first friend be someone she's hiding things from.

Equally, from the start and to the end, their relationship is that of "instigator" and "victim".
I don't believe she ever truly moves past that, though before she realized Yui had feelings for Hiki she may have been considering it.

I think I get what you are saying, and I largely agree. I would still say that their relationship did not start out fake. If she had offered to be his friend at that point you bring up, then yes, it would be fake. By keeping a relationship of open hostility and competition in that first season, it allowed them to get to know each other in ways that were unencumbered by formality and social etiquette. This worked well for both at the time because of where they were in their lives: Yukino was still the ice queen, and Hachiman was still his misanthropic self (I do miss the truly awkward Hachiman moments when he tries to interact with Hayama's group in the first season). Yukino was able to avoid the type of conflict Hachiman had with Yui when he thought she was only nice to him out of social obligation.

If you are right and Yukino hasn't moved past this perception of their relationship, then of course it is fake. It's also interesting to note that some of the most intimate and vulnerable scenes in the last two seasons occurred during this so-called co-dependent relationship. Intimacy and vulnerability, interestingly, are also aspects missing from Hayama and Haruno's relationships and philosophies.
GrimaH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:15 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if I'm out of line here the weekly episode articles are more straight recaps than reviews.
Delphisage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:36 pm Reply with quote
GrimaH wrote:
I'm not sure if I'm out of line here the weekly episode articles are more straight recaps than reviews.

It's really hard to discuss a show whose themes are explicitly about dumb teenagers reveling in their attitudes and failing to communicate with each other like normal because of it. At least not as easily as a straightforward shonen anime or CGDGT comedy like everything else this season.
Birriaman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Delphisage wrote:
GrimaH wrote:

It's really hard to discuss a show whose themes are explicitly about dumb teenagers reveling in their attitudes and failing to communicate with each other like normal because of it. At least not as easily as a straightforward shonen anime or CGDGT comedy like everything else this season.

Which is precisely the allure of the show and why I believe it creates so much discussion and discent, especially among anime only viewers. From what I get the LN is still vague and filled with misunderstandings (it IS told from 8man’s POV for the most part), but it shows the trio’s inner feelings more clearly through the characters’ monologues.

The talk between Yui and Yukino at the end of episode 8, for example, was obviously quite important and it seems to have been expanded much more in the LN - enough to have LN fans actually hate episode 9 because it didn’t continue the scene. That and the continued focus on the Yui side of the story is probably what gave it its lowest score yet (don’t rememeber any episode having a score lower than a 4 throughout the entire series but I might be wrong).
Delphisage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Birriaman wrote:

The talk between Yui and Yukino at the end of episode 8, for example, was obviously quite important and it seems to have been expanded much more in the LN - enough to have LN fans actually hate episode 9 because it didn’t continue the scene.

Don't fans of Japanese media just hate anime adaptations period because they aren't literally a reading of the novels/VNs/manga, and literally any kind of change will get them demanding heads to roll?
Birriaman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Fair enough, but I can’t remember this show getting THAT much hate from LN purists until it started about 3 episodes or so ago.
Delphisage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Birriaman wrote:
Fair enough, but I can’t remember this show getting THAT much hate from LN purists until it started about 3 episodes or so ago.

LN purists haven't been watching Season 3 period. They all finished the LN two years ago, had a fit over the ending, and then abandoned the franchise.
Kuzu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:19 pm Reply with quote
The LN ending was actually pretty well recieved for the most part, at least if you were a HachYuki shipper, which a majority of LN readers are.

Most of the division seems to be coming that said LN readers feel that Yui is getting too much focus and attention to the detriment of Yukino, the actual main heroine.

There was similar division in Season 2 where many felt there was too much Iroha.
Delphisage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Kuzu wrote:
The LN ending was actually pretty well recieved for the most part, at least if you were a HachYuki shipper, which a majority of LN readers are.

Most of the division seems to be coming that said LN readers feel that Yui is getting too much focus and attention to the detriment of Yukino, the actual main heroine.

There was similar division in Season 2 where many felt there was too much Iroha.

Wasn't most of 4chan Iroha fanboys who wanted Yukino to make with Hayato and leave Hachiman alone so he could go after Yui or Iroha instead?
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Delphisage wrote:

LN purists haven't been watching Season 3 period. They all finished the LN two years ago, had a fit over the ending, and then abandoned the franchise.

You mean not 1 years ago, right...?

Last volume came out on Nov 19th 2019

Also, wtf is with all this Yui focus? Are they trying to jebait anime only's or something? lmao

Last edited by AksaraKishou on Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kuzu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Delphisage wrote:
Kuzu wrote:

Wasn't most of 4chan Iroha fanboys who wanted Yukino to make with Hayato and leave Hachiman alone so he could go after Yui or Iroha instead?

I take anything /a/ says with a huge grain of salt. I also watched the series after it aired, so I have no idea of the general attitude, BUT...

From what LN readers told me, the Anime severely downplays a lot of Iroha's negative qualities...or at least, it does a poor job of communicating them. I was told a similar thing about how Yui is presented, with the Anime downplaying how emotionally manipulative and selfish she could be towards Hachiman and Yukino because their lack of emotional awareness.

That said, I feel this is because of the medium; the LN is told entirely from Hachiman's perspective, from start to finish. And the LN's make it really explicit that Yukino is his top priority over everything, to the point where he all but ignores every other girl, and this is in spite of Yui's insistence.

Many felt the Anime made it seem like a legit love triangle that Hachiman would have to choose, when the LN made it clearer that Hachiman never felt anything romantic for Yui, and most of the time he spends with her, he finds their conversations really plain and his thoughts eventually drift to Yukino.

The last couple of volumes got some flak for having Hachiman interact with the side characters, over furthering developing his dynamic with Yukino as we're seeing with the Anime. So its not just an Anime issue, the novels were like this too. The readers just accepted it because the few moments that Hachiman and Yukino did interact were considered great, and most of that is being cut. So LN readers are upset that the series is focusing on things like Yui's house, but not developing its two main characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 11