• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bennyl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:48 am Reply with quote
It is classic two man comedy, with a twist. It's the same bit as Laurel and Hardy, Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, Abbott and Costello.
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:05 pm Reply with quote
episode 8 is better mainly because it actually makes Shinichi seem like he wants to be around Uzaki.

A also laughed at the double meaning of their "sexual" conversation at the beginning of the episode. Shinichi and Uzaki definitely need to learn inside voices because everyone always hears them in public.
Sisyphusson66

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Like most things in this show, what makes this latest episode poor is how long it draws out its comedy. The misunderstanding joke with Uzaki's mom can be really well done, and there are aspects of it that do work. The problem here is that this same joke, with slight variations but not enough to make them fresh, is used for probably the first 15 or so minutes of the episode's runtime, with no other jokes/gags to break up the monotony.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:28 pm Reply with quote
You know, I shouldn't have enjoyed this episode as much as I did because, I too, despise travelogue episodes. But damn, that cat popped up at the perfect times and had me spitting out my water. The show is SO much better when they bicker, going at each other like a married couple and when Uzaki gets her dander up it's even better. Other then Uzaki's Mom, the secondary characters are at this point unnecessary; or at least do something that they haven't done previously because it's getting monotonous. I'm hoping Uzaki's Mom shows up in one of these last episodes. We need her over-the-top cluelessness.
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:55 am Reply with quote
There have been some enjoyable bits of humor in the past couple episodes of Uzaki, but the writers clearly do not know when to move on from a joke that works.There is so little subtlety. The tourism episode would have been much more fun if Ami and Sakaki were not peeking around every corner explaining things.

Maybe that's just how humor works in Japan.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Gotta disagree with James when he says the show is wasting time on Tsuki Uzaki, because she is easily my favorite character. I love her cluelessness and most of the gags that it leads to. And that line about her thinking that her own daughter is trying to pimp her out to Shinichi was pure gold.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:10 pm Reply with quote
To put it as bluntly as possible, this series was a stupefyingly goofy and sweet love story I needed to watch during the most 'you've got to be kidding me' year on record. I'll be looking forward to Season 2 Very Happy , (just hoping 2021 won't be anywhere near what 2020's been like, please).
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:43 am Reply with quote
Uzaki will return in "The Pest Who Loved Me" and that idea makes me smile more than anything else that came in this season of anime. Breakwater made me nostalgic and SNAFU made nauseous but at least this comedy remembered to make me laugh.
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:24 am Reply with quote
Overall, I liked the first season of Uzaki

Uzaki's actions in episode 12 were a major turn off though. Intentionally getting someone drunk so that you can take advantage of them in their vulnerable state? If the roles were reversed on that one it would have been real bad news for Shinichi.

I don't think I would tolerate a second season of Uzaki where neither Uzaki or Shinichi actually tries to have a relationship. As the show is now, it seems like a romantic comedy that is perpetually stuck in the second act where the two romantic leads always bicker and don't admit how much they like each other. That would get old if the next season does the same.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:47 am Reply with quote
This was exactly the sort of show I needed to watch during the absolute nightmare of a year that is 2020. A cute, sexy and goofy as hell show that helps take my mind off things. Really glad were getting another season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8