• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Wha the hell iss wrong with you OP! Its actually funny, the lack off boob jokes only make it better and less cheap. The Sugoi Dekai written on her shirt and no one mentions it, is hilarious
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
fantaselion wrote:
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
It's not funny because it's not actually a comedy, it's an excuse. Like so much other recent anime and manga, lol.

THERE IT IS! THE LOL!!!

I don't even know what that particular post is even supposed to mean by "it's not actually a comedy, it's an excuse".

My interpretation is that Beltane is saying that the show is "not funny" because the focus of writing in Uzaki is not about comedy. The focus of writing is to place characters in multiple situations involving sex and breasts so that the audience is aroused.
Swissman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I know James, it's difficult to write something positive about a show which has protagonists you don't like and are hyper clichéd for your taste, but is it too much for me to ask if you could focus a bit more on the actual plot of each single episode? You barely did that in your 3rd episode review; you only mentioned what jokes you liked in the very last section. This episode's plot shows for example that Uzaki has indeed some good character traits and can be a dependable partner for Shinichi as long as she keeps her mouth shut. She takes care of him when he's sick and does that pretty well. She is thoughful about what ingredients are good for him when shopping at the local supermarket. No problems with her cooking either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I am becoming a big fan of the job that Uzonkers-chan's seiyuu, Naomi Ozora, is doing. I understand why some people consider her voice to be ear-stabbing, but I think it perfectly suits Uzaki's character and a big part of my enjoyment comes from listening to her speak a language I don't even understand.

I'm glad the the circle of secondary characters is slowing starting to expand. Given the limited nature of the premise, these secondary characters are going to be crucial in making sure the Uzaki/Sakurai antics don't become unbearable.
Quote:

At the same time, he's secretly super jacked, and all these girls have crushes on him too, because even though he apparently has such a “scary face” and doesn't even care about what other people think of him, he could totally get laid if he wanted to.

Is it just me or does James sound a little jealous there? Razz Laughing Twisted Evil
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna say, this actually sounds worse than I expected. Given that the source material got praise from its fans of not being entirely what you'd expect from the packaging, I kinda thought it'd be something a bit like dagashikashi, where you've got actual multi-dimensional characters acting in accordance with their (horny) motivations but with discretion because they aren't really sure what they want and because they aren't arseholes.

But apparently no.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Nope, I'm still enjoying it but it's not a romance series, it's like Nozokai-kun in that it's an UnRomance series. Yet I'm hearing, somehow, from someone, not mention any James names James "It's not witty, it's crass and vulgar!" One was high school, the other college. One has its mind in the gutter, the other lives there.

But.

Uzaki-chan wants to hang out. No more, no less but the poor girl has to have be stopped from staying over Shinchi's house as it doesn't look good if she spends nights over at her male friend's house, if only because she likes the fact he lives close by and he has games she wants to play.

And I agree with Blood that part of the fun is just listening to Uzaki talk. She speaks... according to background info,spoiler[ she's not supposed to speak with an accent]... yes, a spoiler on this show, the irony... but that's not normal accented Japanese. Part of it is the slang she uses but she also runs words together...
Right, I think of the main accents of Japanese as Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto and as a non-speaker, I can't break it done any further than that. Central, North, West and to me, Uzaki sounds north.
And the voice actress is from Osaka. In regards to the spoiler bit, it's not an ideal situation.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Sakurai-senpai is so hot, though. I mean, yeah, Uzaki-chan's cute and adorable and I want to cheer her on but Sakurai-senpai? Lordy, what a dashing young man!!

I hope they drop the beating around the bush and get together soon! I wanna self-insert!!
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:01 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

And I agree with Blood that part of the fun is just listening to Uzaki talk. She speaks... according to background info,spoiler[ she's not supposed to speak with an accent]... yes, a spoiler on this show, the irony... but that's not normal accented Japanese. Part of it is the slang she uses but she also runs words together...
Right, I think of the main accents of Japanese as Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto and as a non-speaker, I can't break it done any further than that. Central, North, West and to me, Uzaki sounds north.
And the voice actress is from Osaka. In regards to the spoiler bit, it's not an ideal situation.
She speaks perfectly "normal accented" (i.e. standard Tokyo-based) Japanese. The only thing that's remotely remarkable is her clipping the "desu" to "ssu", which is something lots of people do in casual speech and isn't really associated with a specific region nowadays (although it is said to have originated in the Tohoku region, as a local adaptation of the standard "desu" in a region whose dialects traditionally lacked such politeness markers, so I guess there is a grain of truth to her "sounding north").

As for the "main accents", Osaka and Kyoto are both Kansai dialects and the differences between them in terms of pronunciation and grammar are fairly minor - and the differences in vocabulary and the overall cadence of speech tend to get exaggerated in media in accordance with the wildly different stereotypes associated with the residents of the two cities. The most traditional way to divide Japanese dialects is East vs. West, with Kansai dialects seen as most representative of western Japan and Tokyo historically having an eastern dialect that was strongly influenced by western ones. There are also other ways of subdividing the Japanese language area that treat certain dialect groups as distinct enough to be excluded from the overall East/West dichotomy. Some confusion may also arise when translating literally from Japanese because A) in common parlance the traditional speech varieties of the Ryukyu islands are treated as dialects whereas in linguistics they are usually seen as separate languages, both from Japanese and from each other, and B) Japanese speakers tend to use the English word "accent" in a very specific way, meaning "pitch accent", which has its own regional groupings that don't always neatly align with divisions between dialect groups.
Lin Liren

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:02 am Reply with quote
Hands up who else thinks Cute (and occasionally heartwarming) Slice Of Life and/or Adorable Fanservice (with Action) Series that cater to Healthy Adolescent Male Fantasies should be reviewed by an Anime Fans who are not feminists who detest cuteness/sexiness/Moe, and actually LIKE said genres (and accompanying Character designs) enough to give them a fair, impartial go?

Because Animenewsnetwork reviewers of late has repeatedly tried to smear series like "Fire Force", "Nekopara" and "Uzaki-chan" as unwatchable "sexist" garbage, when they are anything but, simply because they are non-feminist works that allow male viewers to vicariously live out erotic but ultimately chaste and harmless (if not often heartwarming) boyhood fantasies of love?
nargun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:44 am Reply with quote
"Chaste" isn't praise, Lin. It's no problem if consenting adults are having sex, and as uni students the characters here are adults.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:34 am Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:

She speaks perfectly "normal accented" (i.e. standard Tokyo-based) Japanese. The only thing that's remotely remarkable is her clipping the "desu" to "ssu", which is something lots of people do in casual speech and isn't really associated with a specific region nowadays (although it is said to have originated in the Tohoku region, as a local adaptation of the standard "desu" in a region whose dialects traditionally lacked such politeness markers, so I guess there is a grain of truth to her "sounding north").

As for the "main accents", Osaka and Kyoto are both Kansai dialects and the differences between them in terms of pronunciation and grammar are fairly minor - and the differences in vocabulary and the overall cadence of speech tend to get exaggerated in media in accordance with the wildly different stereotypes associated with the residents of the two cities. The most traditional way to divide Japanese dialects is East vs. West, with Kansai dialects seen as most representative of western Japan and Tokyo historically having an eastern dialect that was strongly influenced by western ones. There are also other ways of subdividing the Japanese language area that treat certain dialect groups as distinct enough to be excluded from the overall East/West dichotomy. Some confusion may also arise when translating literally from Japanese because A) in common parlance the traditional speech varieties of the Ryukyu islands are treated as dialects whereas in linguistics they are usually seen as separate languages, both from Japanese and from each other, and B) Japanese speakers tend to use the English word "accent" in a very specific way, meaning "pitch accent", which has its own regional groupings that don't always neatly align with divisions between dialect groups.

Only the Japanese would think of subdividing their speech between "Tokyo" and "not Tokyo". And with this sort of "West versus East" thinking, Osakan isn't even a choice? What I hear is not precise diction and there's a lot of apostrophes and drawn out sibilants; Uzaki isn't representing Osaka, she's repressentin' it.

I think of Kyoto as flowery and airy, archaic but flowing. Osaka is all brash, crass and brass and only Tokyoites... wanting to raise Tokyo Japanese as the PROPER way to say the language... would put the two together. To me, it's comparing light honey and thick oil with "Tokyo" being baselined as water.

It's as bad as putting Joisey, Bronx, Brooklyn and Boston as all the same sound.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:50 am Reply with quote
Lin Liren wrote:
Hands up who else thinks Cute (and occasionally heartwarming) Slice Of Life and/or Adorable Fanservice (with Action) Series that cater to Healthy Adolescent Male Fantasies should be reviewed by an Anime Fans who are not feminists who detest cuteness/sexiness/Moe, and actually LIKE said genres (and accompanying Character designs) enough to give them a fair, impartial go?

Because Animenewsnetwork reviewers of late has repeatedly tried to smear series like "Fire Force", "Nekopara" and "Uzaki-chan" as unwatchable "sexist" garbage, when they are anything but, simply because they are non-feminist works that allow male viewers to vicariously live out erotic but ultimately chaste and harmless (if not often heartwarming) boyhood fantasies of love?

That's quite a bit of hyperbole.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Only the Japanese would think of subdividing their speech between "Tokyo" and "not Tokyo".
What exactly is this referring to? I can't think of anything that I wrote or linked to that would imply that Japanese people think of all Japanese varieties not from Tokyo as interchangeable.

Animegomaniac wrote:
And with this sort of "West versus East" thinking, Osakan isn't even a choice?[...] It's as bad as putting Joisey, Bronx, Brooklyn and Boston as all the same sound.
You misunderstood, I wasn't implying that there were only two dialects, only that this was the traditional way of grouping the various dialects. Obviously Osaka has its own variant of Japanese that has some unique features and shares a number of others with Kyoto and other Kansai dialects, while also having a smaller number of features in common with other dialects in western Japan. There's really nothing controversial about that, just like in some linguistic contexts it does make sense to speak of the urban dialects of the US Northeast (or indeed all North American dialects as opposed to British, Australasian, etc.) as a single grouping without implying that they're all one and the same.

Animegomaniac wrote:
What I hear is not precise diction and there's a lot of apostrophes and drawn out sibilants; Uzaki isn't representing Osaka, she's repressentin' it.

I have no idea how you can hear an apostrophe, but Uzaki's VA being from Osaka does not change the fact that nothing in the character's speech is reflective of Osaka: not the grammar, not the vocabulary, not the pitch, nothing. The way she speaks to the MC is very informal and slangy, but there's nothing markedly regional about it.

Animegomaniac wrote:
I think of Kyoto as flowery and airy, archaic but flowing. Osaka is all brash, crass and brass and only Tokyoites... wanting to raise Tokyo Japanese as the PROPER way to say the language... would put the two together. To me, it's comparing light honey and thick oil with "Tokyo" being baselined as water.
If anything it's precisely Tokyoites who are more likely to buy into those same exact stereotypes of Kyoto and Osaka, especially when presented with exaggerated and stereotypical media. Fictional portrayals of Kyoto tend to be especially egregious about this, either going for full on "aristocrats and geishas" speech (most shows with only one character from Kyoto, like the Monogatari series, or with only one episode taking place there, like Kill la Kill) or not bothering with the dialect at all (Kyousougiga, the anime adaptation of Sound! Euphonium, Tomihiko Morimi's novels and anime based on them, etc.). Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha is one of the few shows set in Kyoto that actually go for a realistic portrayal of the modern everyday Kyoto dialect (at least for its human characters). Try watching an episode of that one back to back with an episode of Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi and see if you can spot any differences between how characters from Kyoto and Osaka sound.

As for Tokyo speech being treated as the proper way of speaking Japanese, Japan is hardly unique in the world for setting up a single standard for spoken and written language based on the variant spoken in the capital city. FWIW its language policy is not as strict about this as in some other countries, as kids from the regions are not really required to master the Tokyo-based standard pitch accent unless they're aiming for a career as a teacher, announcer or actor (including anime VAs).
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Lin Liren wrote:

And yet Interspecies Reviewers was quite well received here. A show literally about banging prostitutes.

And those aforementioned shows are kinda sexist. If your main female character's literal only trait is her underwear falls off then you need to try a little harder. Women can be kinky, sexy, and also have personalities!
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:35 pm Reply with quote
They've also been relatively kind to Monster Musume and High School DxD, and even a show that would normally set off warning bells: How Not to Summon a Demon Lord. (Because of the slave collar thing.) One of the former Shelf Life columnists also found one of the Strike Witches shows cute and harmless.

El Hermano wrote:
The anime has been pretty faithful so far. All these jokes and scenarios come right from the first few chapters so far: the vibrating chair, the stuck in a bush, the cafe owner. Was it the same reviewer? Whoever reviewed the manga might not have as much of a hang up on boob joke as who is reviewing the anime. Although I suppose it's easier to notice jiggling boobs in animation than in still images (the massage chair scenes, for example) Boobs are just one aspect of her character, though.

A little belated as answers go (I've been away on vacation for about a week) but thanks. I haven't gotten around to watching it yet, but I'll give it a look-see, at least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8