• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:55 pm Reply with quote
The past two episodes have toned down enough in sex jokes to make me still curious about how long the writers can keep this going. These two are adults, they should be able to express how they feel about each other at some point.

I liked the train scene, but I didn't like the scene in the glasses store. These two characters are obnoxious in public and more people should chastise them for it. \

Also, there is no person in the world that would invite someone into a private shower with them without having ulterior motives. C'mon!

What is Uzaki up to? Why won't Shinichi say anything? I don't know why I want to know, but I want to know!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:10 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:

I have no idea how you can hear an apostrophe

They're dropped consonants. "Clippin'" If I don't hear the "G" of "clipping" then I'm hearing its missing space represented by an apostrophe.
"If I'm lyin then I'm dyin" versus "If I'm lying then I'm dying." Without the proper pronouncing, it causes words to run together and makes the words come out as syrup. "That's not a dialect or accent, that's just one person who's a lazy speaker."

I do kind of feel like I'm trying to explain color nuance to someone who speaks only in binary. As I said, I don't speak Japanese so I'm applying American speech patterns to what I hear. However, I did mess up as I thought Osaka was in the north; Sad that I'm been consuming Japanese media for over three decades. While I immediately found Kyoto where I thought it was, Osaka wasn't. And for some reason, it was the only Japanese city that I'm familiar with that I couldn't place in relation to Tokyo. I honestly thought Osaka was in the north on Hokkaido and I have no idea where I got that from.
OK, I'll blame movies and anime. Everybody rode bullet trains past Mt Fuji to get to Kyoto, no one ever went to Osaka on a school trip.
Seriously I don't know where I got the impression though I still do declare I hear a difference between the two of them.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:28 pm Reply with quote
This happens every few seasons - maybe more since there are plenty of reviews I never peek in on. There is a show that ends up on the review list that the reviewer has no taste for, and you end up with several weeks of said reviewer doing a poor job of not being overly subjective in their critiques and at best passive-aggressively tearing down a show that otherwise would be perfectly okay. I've commented in the past that the editorial decision that there are series that MUST be reviewed every season even if put in the hands of someone with no affinity for the genre or subject is a very bad strategy. My suggestion to people has and will continue to be to give every review you plan to follow the same treatment you give any anime you plan to watch - give it a couple episodes, see how it goes, then decide if you want to follow along or not. You can always come back and check the whole thing out later.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Hey, people. Expressing your opinion of a show is fine, but avoid getting personal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:55 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
This happens every few seasons - maybe more since there are plenty of reviews I never peek in on. There is a show that ends up on the review list that the reviewer has no taste for, and you end up with several weeks of said reviewer doing a poor job of not being overly subjective in their critiques and at best passive-aggressively tearing down a show that otherwise would be perfectly okay. I've commented in the past that the editorial decision that there are series that MUST be reviewed every season even if put in the hands of someone with no affinity for the genre or subject is a very bad strategy. My suggestion to people has and will continue to be to give every review you plan to follow the same treatment you give any anime you plan to watch - give it a couple episodes, see how it goes, then decide if you want to follow along or not. You can always come back and check the whole thing out later.

And every time someone posts this you get reminded that is absolutely not how things work here. There is no editorial decision forcing some poor sucker to get stuck with things. No one reviews anything they didn't volunteer for. Turns out that sometimes reviewers have different opinions than you despite still wanting to watch a thing.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Skyletv wrote:
Quote:
you guys are really out of touch with what’s considered good outside the typical horny offerings and are just quick to blame it on “woke-ness”.

I don't know what's worse, the reviewer watching this or this comment. Jesus!

I was trying to post in a way that avoided the typical go-to three letter acronym that’s (rightfully) censored here and I think it came out rather awkwardly as if I was trying to sound all smug and superior. I really wasn’t trying to. I might scoff a little at the defensiveness of just blatant horniness. But that’s it! Honest!

It’s just a pattern I’ve noticed. Whenever there’s a show with not much substance other than T+A fanservice people get super defensive and blame the reviewer. They can’t STAND the idea that maybe their favorite is a little shallow when you get past its fanservice. It seems a bit toxic to me. Maybe I’m misinterpreting, but it just comes off like people are giving this a pass because boobs and are getting mad that reviewers and some other people like me are looking past that and just don’t see the appeal.
Generations

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:12 am Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
And yet Interspecies Reviewers was quite well received here. A show literally about banging prostitutes.

And those aforementioned shows are kinda sexist. If your main female character's literal only trait is her underwear falls off then you need to try a little harder. Women can be kinky, sexy, and also have personalities!

Shh. It's a crime to have standards.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:01 am Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
Honestly I think you have it backwards, I feel like a “normie” looking in and seeing all this praise from the “internet lols and fanservice” crowd.

I think most anime fans fall under that crowd tho. Its very common to see anime fans being, well, horny, for lack of a better term. Overall, people love fanservice and all this kinda stuff. You might see a vocal minority who label it as trash, especially if people purposely surround themselves with others who think the same as them and embolden their view, but if you look at the actual numbers, stuff like this is widely loved and sells in the community very well.

If people wanna say anime fans have no taste in general, then okay, opinions and all that, but i'd say a lot of stuff like this falls into the "no, it's the children who are wrong" kinda mentality. Uzaki wasnt exactly some obscure series they chose to adapt on a whim, it was a popular manga that had a big fanbase
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:47 pm Reply with quote
So the second part of the episode was basically this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfkBYHFZAt8
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5 is definitely my favorite of the set so far. Partially because the lame sex jokes are toned down again, and also because Uzaki had a genuinely funny moment.

This episode makes me think that Ami is the real jerk in this situation. It is creepy to watch people from afar and not interact with them. Ami is getting off on her voyeurism and I don't like it, especially since she is trying to prevent Sakaki from speaking up.

I'm more on Sakaki's side. If I see 2 people I know getting close the way that Uzachi and Shinichi are, I am going to call them out. "ARE YOU DOING IT???!!!"
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:09 pm Reply with quote
So far it's been ok, but that chocolate mint bit was pretty great. Nice to see the crowd live up to my expectations and start clapping too Laughing
TexZero

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm just gonna ignore the review as a whole because from what i've personally read this reviewer seems to be hate watching a show and being forced to write about it. I'd much rather ANN increase staff and have people who can be critical but actually enjoy the shows they watch rather than being tortured into submitting something for the sake of hitting a deadline.

Ep6 Things that went completely unmentioned by the reviewer that others may have noticed...

The intro segment is a direct parody of G Gundam. The voice actor Yosuke Akimoto is shared between the two.

Also Ami casually drops a Jojo Reference at the end of the episode only proving that this anime has more taste than is given credit for when it comes to it's approach to humor.

It knows exactly who the target audience is and knows this show isn't for people who want this comedy to suddenly turn into a super serious animated version of Friends™
gpanthony

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:11 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:

Also Ami casually drops a Jojo Reference at the end of the episode only proving that this anime has more taste than is given credit for when it comes to it's approach to humor.

GOOD!
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I was really hoping that the beach episode would not rely on the "accidental grope", but episode 6 of Uzaki unfortunately disappoints.

This episode would have been much more interesting if other guys wee flirting with Uzaki at the beach, and Shinichi got jealous in a manner that encouraged him to hang out with Uzaki so that other guys stayed away. Ami hinted at something like this happening, but they did not deliver.

It is also kind of annoying how Shinichi is so aware of his social life about being a loner, but he is not smart enough to know when he is touching a large breast. The writers are not being consistent with his character. I also object to him being that ripped when he spends most of his day playing games and there has been no mention of him keeping up an exercise routine.

I'm still hopeful that the plot improves, but I'm not liking how slow it is taking the main characters to catch on to what is happening between them. The show makes it seem like neither of them are aware of their sexuality, which is a unhealthy approach.
Skyletv

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Dear God, save us!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8