• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Man, I remember the days of Dagashi Kashi, a slice-of-life comedy featuring an obnoxious, big-chested female lead pestering the heck out of the male lead. Except that show wasn't agonizingly stupid and tepid, actually had some decent jokes, and they remembered to make Hotaru actually endearing as opposed to just a total gremlin like Uzaki. Uzaki-chan is such a chore in comparison, and this week's episode so perfectly encapsulates that. It's not "a show about nothing", like other slice of life shows, it is nothing.

Also Hotaru was actually physically attractive and had an appealing design. I know shortstacks exist, but Uzaki's design is just dumb. I'm not even entirely sure if the show wants you to think she's actually attractive, but it's definitely worse if it does because I don't see how she can be.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:39 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
Also Ami casually drops a Jojo Reference at the end of the episode only proving that this anime has more taste than is given credit for when it comes to it's approach to humor.

OMG. It had a Jojo reference??? How original. No other series has every made a Jojo reference. Its not like so many series have made Jojo references over the years that it has gotten stale at all. Obviously this is peak comedic genius.

But to be serious, if an episode is somehow better because it made a couple of references to other, better shows, and not based on its own material, then that really is not saying much.
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:35 am Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
TexZero wrote:
Also Ami casually drops a Jojo Reference at the end of the episode only proving that this anime has more taste than is given credit for when it comes to it's approach to humor.

OMG. It had a Jojo reference??? How original. No other series has every made a Jojo reference. Its not like so many series have made Jojo references over the years that it has gotten stale at all. Obviously this is peak comedic genius.

But to be serious, if an episode is somehow better because it made a couple of references to other, better shows, and not based on its own material, then that really is not saying much.

Ah right, sorry the show didn't cater to your specific needs of being so deep as to being deconstructed for 25 years.

I'm also sorry you went into a show that's clearly fanservice expecting it to be a deep meaningful existential plot.

The show is just fine get off your high horse and maybe just enjoy it for what it is, instead of trying to bemoan it for it not being exactly your cup of tea.
Generations

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:57 am Reply with quote
I don't expect fanservice shows to have deep, meaningful, or existential plots. I instead expect them to be good for what they are. This one is not. It is average at best, below average at worst.

Also, shows have been making JoJo references since JoJo existed. If you had to award a show for making a JoJo reference then it's not that the reviewer's standards are high, it's that your standards are low.

Oh right, I forget. It's a crime to have standards when it comes to fanservice shows. In which case, 10/10 anime. But in case you DO have standards, I can definitely name several dozen other fanservice anime you could be watching instead that are way better and deliver better fanservice.
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:50 am Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
I don't expect fanservice shows to have deep, meaningful, or existential plots. I instead expect them to be good for what they are. This one is not. It is average at best, below average at worst.

Also, shows have been making JoJo references since JoJo existed. If you had to award a show for making a JoJo reference then it's not that the reviewer's standards are high, it's that your standards are low.

Oh right, I forget. It's a crime to have standards when it comes to fanservice shows. In which case, 10/10 anime. But in case you DO have standards, I can definitely name several dozen other fanservice anime you could be watching instead that are way better and deliver better fanservice.

Oh shock horror and surprise.

I went into a fanservice show with absolutely no standards set and treated it exactly like it was. A decent show with humor that is aimed at a specific demographic.

It's almost like there's a time to be hyper critical and this aint one of them chief.
But sure name me several of those dozen better Fanservice shows that. I have no problem calling that bluff. Show me how much "better" the comedy is.
Generations

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:32 am Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
A decent show with humor that is aimed at a specific demographic.

A description so lacklustre, it could fit any show. It's like an action movie described as 'an action-packed thrill ride', it says nothing of actual value.

Also, describing as such doesn't fill anyone with confidence as to why they should watch it over literally anything else.

Quote:
It's almost like there's a time to be hyper critical and this aint one of them chief.

In which case, I already covered that. It's a 10/10 if you have no standards. Also in which case, naming 'better' shows is a moot point because clearly they're all 10/10 already by that logic and so I will not actually be able to name 'better' shows. Also in which case, you are right.

But the show isn't being reviewed so the rest of us can have zero standards. It's for people who DO have some.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:40 am Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
Generations wrote:

Oh shock horror and surprise.

I went into a fanservice show with absolutely no standards set and treated it exactly like it was. A decent show with humor that is aimed at a specific demographic.

But sure name me several of those dozen better Fanservice shows that. I have no problem calling that bluff. Show me how much "better" the comedy is.

You heard it here folks. You are not meant to be critical towards shows like Uzaki. If you have problems with a show, just ignore them, or pretend they don't exist. Only focus on the good parts of the show. If you cant find the good parts, just pretend the parts you find bad are good. How else would we get every single person who watches a show to have the exact same opinion? 10/10 anime.
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:50 am Reply with quote
Generations wrote:

A description so lacklustre, it could fit any show. It's like an action movie described as 'an action-packed thrill ride', it says nothing of actual value.

Also, describing as such doesn't fill anyone with confidence as to why they should watch it over literally anything else.

Ah yes, because "an action-packed thrill ride" has never been good before right ?
That's why there's how many Die Hards / Mission Impossibles etc...

Just because the show to you dribbles in mediocrity doesn't mean it doesn't have a target audience that isn't you.

Generations wrote:

In which case, I already covered that. It's a 10/10 if you have no standards. Also in which case, naming 'better' shows is a moot point because clearly they're all 10/10 already by that logic and so I will not actually be able to name 'better' shows. Also in which case, you are right.

But the show isn't being reviewed so the rest of us can have zero standards. It's for people who DO have some.

Lol running away from the point ?
Great debate on the points mate 10/10 would turn tail and hide again.

So humor me, since clearly this show aint for you why are you still watching it ?
What possible value does it get you to watch something you so clearly despise because the juevenille humor and slapstick gags with blatant anime fanservice just aren't what your there for.

AnimeFlyz wrote:

You heard it here folks. You are not meant to be critical towards shows like Uzaki. If you have problems with a show, just ignore them, or pretend they don't exist. Only focus on the good parts of the show. If you cant find the good parts, just pretend the parts you find bad are good. How else would we get every single person who watches a show to have the exact same opinion? 10/10 anime.

You can have all the problems you want with the show. Never claimed othewise.
I said it's ulimately a pointless endavour to go into this kind of show with a critical mindset as that's like going into any "Summer Blockbuster" or "Action Flick" looking for the meaning of life. You're barking up the wrong tree. If you aren't watching the very obviously intenteded to be low brow humor show for low brow humor then why are you here ?

There's better animated breast elsewhere if that's you niche. If you're here for the gaggle of friends exploring the power of Nakama there's better shows for that too.

The show was never going to be revolutionary and to come at it like it needs to be a 10/10 is dumber than dirt. No one in their right mind is calling this a 10/10.
Generations

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:17 am Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
Ah yes, because "an action-packed thrill ride" has never been good before right ?
That's why there's how many Die Hards / Mission Impossibles etc...

Clearly you missed my point. it's not about what the show is, it's how you described it.
If you described Die Hard or Mission Impossible as 'an action-packed thrill ride', you told me nothing that tells me I would want to watch this over a different action movie.
You describing the show as 'A decent show with humor that is aimed at a specific demographic' tells everyone it's an average show for its audience and they're better off looking elsewhere.

Quote:
Lol running away from the point ?
Great debate on the points mate 10/10 would turn tail and hide again.

I watch a lot of fanservice shows, and I mean A LOT. Naming the stand-out shows from that list would be easy. But sure, whatever makes you sleep at night.

Besides, from your argument, there's no need to. They're all 10/10. I could name literally any fanservice show and you should say 'Yes, I agree'. Otherwise, this whole conversation would have been pointless.

Quote:
So humor me, since clearly this show aint for you why are you still watching it ?

Because then your comment would be 'How would you know you don't like it if you don't try it?' Or alternatively, 'How could you criticize a show you didn't watch?'

Think about it.

Quote:
What possible value does it get you to watch something you so clearly despise because the juevenille humor and slapstick gags with blatant anime fanservice just aren't what your there for.

The same thing I could be asking of you.

Clearly you're still here, despite several episodes in, not having agreed with this reviewer's opinion on the show one bit, acting with the enthusiasm of as if this review has somehow slapped your own kin.
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:32 am Reply with quote
Generations wrote:

Clearly you missed my point. it's not about what the show is, it's how you described it.
If you described Die Hard or Mission Impossible as 'an action-packed thrill ride', you told me nothing that tells me I would want to watch this over a different action movie.
You describing the show as 'A decent show with humor that is aimed at a specific demographic' tells everyone it's an average show for its audience and they're better off looking elsewhere.
So calling it what is average as i've stated before is a problem ?
No, i believe the problem here is your own standards being way above where they should be for a show of this nature.You clearly wanted this to be something more than a mindless popcorn flick and that's on you, not on the show.

Generations wrote:

I watch a lot of fanservice shows, and I mean A LOT. Naming the stand-out shows from that list would be easy. But sure, whatever makes you sleep at night.

Besides, from your argument, there's no need to. They're all 10/10. I could name literally any fanservice show and you should say 'Yes, I agree'. Otherwise, this whole conversation would have been pointless.

Still haven't listed any of those better sources. For someone who claims to partake in a great many fanservices shows you sure seem quick not to list them out. I can't help but wonder why that is. You claim i'm gonna call them all 10/10 which is absurd as i've never even claimed Uzaki was a 10/10. I've only said it set out to step over the very low bar it set for itself. Sorry if you came into this looking to for it to be a masterpiece whilst i came into it looking for it to be beyond average.

Generations wrote:

Because then your comment would be 'How would you know you don't like it if you don't try it?' Or alternatively, 'How could you criticize a show you didn't watch?'
Think about it.

If you didn't try and attempted to review it i'd question you for other reasons like how you could form any basis.

Clearly you've watched enough to form an opinion so why stick around when it's not for you. Are you an anime completionist ? I'd understand if that was your personal hang up but there's absolutely no shame in dropping a show that doesn't hold your attention.

Generations wrote:

The same thing I could be asking of you.

Clearly you're still here, despite several episodes in, not having agreed with this reviewer's opinion on the show one bit, acting with the enthusiasm of as if this review has somehow slapped your own kin.

Oh, i know why i'm here. I enjoy trash shows and i'm not above admitting that i find crass jokes and juevenille humor enjoyable every now and then. I'm also posting because despite what you have seemingly "gathered" about me from my post about having a general disagreement about the critical review you've seemingly missed the entire point.

The reviewer is clearly and has clearly been looking at this show for something it's not and trying to pigeon hole their reviews to fit this mold. You can even see this in both the top line and bottom line takeways. It's makes the review questionable at best and extremely unreliable at worst hence why im disagreeing and it due to the perspective used when watching.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:36 am Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:

I mean, ANN routinely runs articles about stuff like that. They did a Pokemon one about G Gundam specifically one time. I get if not everyone cares but this is a really silly thing to get upset over. If the show isn't for you then it's not for you, but other people are enjoying it.
Generations

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:58 am Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
So calling it what is average as i've stated before is a problem ?
No, i believe the problem here is your own standards being way above where they should be for a show of this nature.You clearly wanted this to be something more than a mindless popcorn flick and that's on you, not on the show.

Actually, as we have already clearly pointed out, me, several others, and the review itself, believe that it is not that our standards are 'way above' for a show of this nature, but that yours could be really low.

Honestly, I could just stop right there. That's clearly the root cause.

Quote:
You claim i'm gonna call them all 10/10 which is absurd as i've never even claimed Uzaki was a 10/10. I've only said it set out to step over the very low bar it set for itself. Sorry if you came into this looking to for it to be a masterpiece whilst i came into it looking for it to be beyond average.

For someone who constantly claims we're putting words into their mouth, you sure do a lot of that. No one here -- not the people who don't like it, not the reviewer, not myself -- was expecting a masterpiece. The fact that you even suggested that not only clearly tells us that bias, but that by the very fact that we think it's not good suggests you and anyone who agrees with you are viewing it from the right frame of mind and anyone else does not.

We expected it to be the typical fair. We got that, but as far as typical fair goes, it's average to below average. Because as it turns out, you can rank typical fair between each other.

Quote:
Clearly you've watched enough to form an opinion so why stick around when it's not for you. Are you an anime completionist ? I'd understand if that was your personal hang up but there's absolutely no shame in dropping a show that doesn't hold your attention.

Enough for a conjecture, not a complete opinion. Huge difference. It's only halfway through.
There's no shame in finishing it either.

Quote:
The reviewer is clearly and has clearly been looking at this show for something it's not and trying to pigeon hole their reviews to fit this mold. You can even see this in both the top line and bottom line takeways. It's makes the review questionable at best and extremely unreliable at worst hence why im disagreeing and it due to the perspective used when watching.

It can't pigeonhole a review to fit a mold when the show itself fits the mold every review like this fits itself into.
nargun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:04 am Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
No, i believe the problem here is your own standards being way above where they should be for a show of this nature.

Having low standards doesn't make a C-grade show into an A, it just means you'll watch C-grade shows. And there's nothing wrong with that! It's just, some of us don't for whatever reason [no time? no money? alternatives? nothing wrong with that, but no merit either] and for the ratings to be useful they need to draw distinctions not just whether it's good enough for you to watch but whether it's good enough for it to be worth other people's time, given their own preferences and availability.

So if we collapse everything "good enough for you to watch" to an indistinguished A, then... the ratings don't work for me any more, do they? because my standards are higher than yours. "Good enough for you" doesn't tell me whether it's good enough for me. We need to draw finer distinctions between good-enough-for-you shows, so that the ratings work for me as well as you. which... no matter how you jiggle it, it'll look the same as the "this is a C show" you're complaining about. No?

Reviews need to say things about shows that people will find bad. Even if they aren't things you find bad, because you're not the only person who the reviews are written for.
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:18 am Reply with quote
Generations wrote:

Actually, as we have already clearly pointed out, me, several others, and the review itself, believe that it is not that our standards are 'way above' for a show of this nature, but that yours could be really low.

Honestly, I could just stop right there. That's clearly the root cause.
Yep me who thinks the show is what it is has the show over-rated. You who seemingly have the show being below what you expected has the show being a dissapointment and it's my metrics for judging that are somehow off ?

I get admitting you're preconcived notions about the show being wrong is hard, but damn dude you gotta use others as your own scapegoat. If you knew the show was gonna be a show that was so mundane why would you rail against it doing the mundane so very well ?

Generations wrote:

For someone who constantly claims we're putting words into their mouth, you sure do a lot of that. No one here -- not the people who don't like it, not the reviewer, not myself -- was expecting a masterpiece. The fact that you even suggested that not only clearly tells us that bias, but that by the very fact that we think it's not good suggests you and anyone who agrees with you are viewing it from the right frame of mind and anyone else does not.

We expected it to be the typical fair. We got that, but as far as typical fair goes, it's average to below average. Because as it turns out, you can rank typical fair between each other.
Are you honestly going to dispute that you didn't start by claiming that im incapable of judging the show on a fair level and that i'd claim all other shows of this variety are a 10/10 ? Do you actually have the gall to sit there and type out that you didn't claim that you had dozens of better shows that i'd be incapable of reviewing due to "having no standards" ?

Come down of the soap boax my guy. If you can't or won't even back up your own claims of there being shows that do this exact same low brow humor interlaced with anime references better then allow me to name one for you. Nyaruko-San.

Oh look i can be critical of a show, that doesn't mean that i can't also see that the bars for both of the shows are so incredibly low that if you playing limbo you'd better hope you were a smaller than uzaki so you could breeze under it.

Generations wrote:

It can't pigeonhole a review to fit a mold when the show itself fits the mold every review like this fits itself into.

Are you being real ?
The reviwer can't set his own artificial boundaries for judging this show that so askewed as to always lead them to the same conclusions ?
Earlier you claimed i was being biased but the reviews themselves are full of confirmation biases.

At this point it's clear we're never going to get any closer to this than to say we both think
A) The show is average at best.
B) We both may enjoy trashy shows.

Done arguing this in a circle.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:25 am Reply with quote
James wrote:
Nothing like that is on display here in this beach episode, and its very existence feels less like Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! had a story it wanted to tell, and more like it's simply going down the checklist of anime clichés, because otherwise it would have to actually try, and who on Earth would want to watch a show that did something as silly as that?

Not me as I've seen more than enough shows try and fail. I've also seen shows succeed in being excellent examples in comedy but failing to capture an audience. Uzaki hits that sweet spot right between trying too hard to drive away its intended audience and not trying hard enough to please its audience. "Uh uh, you're doing slapstick and you have a cream pie just waiting around for no reason." The critic will complain about the set up being stale, the audience knowing what slapstick means is here for someone to be hit by a pie.

Oh no this show had a boob grab in a beach episode. What is the world of anime coming to.

Quote:
Because jokey assault is still a thing that anime insists on doing, for some reason.

Any sort of response I'll give will end in "People aren't like that BECAUSE I'm not like that" on part of the reviewer but maybe I can make my point by vaguely pointing at recent anime headlines in the difference between "accidental assault" and intentional. Honestly, it is weird for a country that has communal baths to have so many fetishes regarding groping. Oh wait, it's more likely because, isn't it?
Oh well, people can claim to shake out baser instincts as mush as they like but I know people will remain people as long as they still are people.

Last edited by Animegomaniac on Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8