• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stiles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Now, if only we could convince the creators to get rid of Uzaki's ridiculous flesh-fang…

Thank you, sir. This needs to be stricken from ALL anime/manga.
Swissman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Stiles wrote:
Quote:
Now, if only we could convince the creators to get rid of Uzaki's ridiculous flesh-fang…

I'm not bothered by it. Probably because I'm used to seeing fangs in classic 80s and 90s anime and manga such as Urusei Yatsura. It's strange that they use the same colour for the fang and the flesh, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7 is definitely an improvement on the formula that they seem to be going for here. In previous episodes it seems like Shinichi wants nothing to do with Uzaki and he is always frustrated when she is around, but in this episode we see Shinichi actually invite Uzaki into his life in an endearing way. Up until now, Shinichi hasn't been willing to indulge Uzaki in whatever crush they seem to have on each other and that has made it seem like Uzaki is just harassing him.

That being said, Uzaki still invited Shinichi out to a bar with the intention of making Shinichi pay the bill. That's a jerk move.

I'm also not buying the fact that Shinichi doesn't want to get closer to Uzaki. She has invited him to shower, invited him to bed, and tried to kiss him. We still don't have a sense of why Shinichi hasn't embraced her. It's weirder than it is cute.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Stiles wrote:
Quote:

I just need it to not be skin color in the anime. It's fine in b&w in manga, but seeing it in color animated Anime hyper
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:52 pm Reply with quote
What's the deal with the eating motion thing the cafe owner and Ami like to do? This latest episode seemed to suggest that they are supposed to be eating rice. Is that like the Japanese equivalent to making a comment like "*grabs popcorn*" when you're watching some kind of conflict or something from the sidelines?
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
What's the deal with the eating motion thing the cafe owner and Ami like to do? This latest episode seemed to suggest that they are supposed to be eating rice. Is that like the Japanese equivalent to making a comment like "*grabs popcorn*" when you're watching some kind of conflict or something from the sidelines?

Basically they're treating their fetish like food, so seeing those two bicker is like having a meal.
It's like when a "lucky sukebe" moment in ecchi anime geta closed with a "thanks for the meal" from the male character.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Cam0 wrote:

Basically they're treating their fetish like food, so seeing those two bicker is like having a meal.
It's like when a "lucky sukebe" moment in ecchi anime geta closed with a "thanks for the meal" from the male character.
More specifically it's a play on the slang meaning of the word okazu. A traditional Japanese meal consists of white rice and okazu, which is basically something with flavor to go with the rice, like fish, meat or pickled vegetables. The slang meaning of okazu is basically "material for masturbation", or more generally "something that causes arousal". This is often played with in manga, like a character eating white rice while staring at something or someone being a gag shorthand for the character in question getting dirty thoughts, or a character who's having lunch with someone they're known to harbor a crush on getting teased by their friends along the lines of "we'll just get white rice for you (because you already have your okazu)".
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

Ah, watching Uzaki and the main dude is a "treat" for them. Maybe I should have figured that out, but I'm not sharp enough for that.

Thanks vonPeterhof for the more detailed answer. Now I don't feel as dumb.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:45 am Reply with quote
Was this cursed close up of the flesh fang always there in the OP? It will haunt my dreams now.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I actually find Uzaki's flesh fang cute - THERE I SAID IT!!!

*prepares to be ostracized by the anime community*
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I actually find Uzaki's flesh fang cute - THERE I SAID IT!!!

*prepares to be ostracized by the anime community*

We should start a flesh fang supporters club. Is it abnormal? Absolutely. Is it ugly? No way!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I have yet to actually watch this show, but one of my favorite characters from Laid-Back Camp also has a flesh-fang (as it's apparently called now), and I've never really minded. Heck, even her little sister seems to have it, so it is probably a family trait of sorts.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Woo-hoo, we flesh-fangers our letting our freak flag fly!

In other news, I continue to enjoy this show. Like the cafe owner and daughter, I eat up the Uzaki-Sakurai antics.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I've been trying to figure out why I enjoy this quirky anime and I think it's because it reminds me of a very old American TV show. They are like, and I'm aging myself here, Ralph Kramden and Ed Norton from the TV show The Honeymooners; best friends, with the one driving the other nuts. I know there's no romance between those men, but you can see how much they care about each other most of the time. Like The Honeymooners, Uzaki just drives Sakurai crazy, yet there's a deep friendship that can or will possibly fertilize into something more and if it wasn't for Kenji Akabane and Naomi Ozora's wonderful acting, especially the little back and forths, it wouldn't show as well. This series will never win any creative rewards, but it's the two main characters that keep me watching, rooting for them to go that extra romantic step. I will say Uzaki was annoying at first, but with this episode and the last, I am now a full-on fan of hers (I'm a sucker for over enthusiastic female characters) and I couldn't help but care for her even more when she was drunk or when she was doubting herself. As much as I like the manga, I enjoy the anime more. Oh, and you can add me to the flesh fang club. It fits her perfect.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:16 am Reply with quote
@ njprogfan - now there's a comparison I never expected to see, but it certainly fits! It's funny, I've become so enamoured of the Uzaki-Sakurai relationship that I'm actually starting to resent the looky-loos who surround them (not just cafe owner and daughter, but Blonde Guy, too), especially when they veer from voyeurs to active interferers. Just leave them alone! They're not hurting anybody and they'll be just fine figuring things out on their own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8