• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 'Must Watch' Anime by MAPPA

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:00 am Reply with quote
Lenks wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:
I noticed most MAPPA animes have 12 or 13 episodes(some of them have 11). And it makes me wonder, will Jujutsu Kaisen have 12 or 13 episodes too? If it's true, then it will be a letdown for JJK fans.

I can think of two options:: get caught up to the manga quickly and get stuffed with filler, or go the MHA or Haikyuu route and have breaks and have very little filler.

KotS and YoI have list space over Banana Fish makes me real sad.

That #1 option is sounds like rushed, which is bad. #2 is probably OK.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:52 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Lenks wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:
I noticed most MAPPA animes have 12 or 13 episodes(some of them have 11). And it makes me wonder, will Jujutsu Kaisen have 12 or 13 episodes too? If it's true, then it will be a letdown for JJK fans.

I can think of two options:: get caught up to the manga quickly and get stuffed with filler, or go the MHA or Haikyuu route and have breaks and have very little filler.

Seasonal is better. You don't wanna quickly catch up & get filler plus suffer from a potentially rushed production.

And a 13-episode season is not bad. Sure we all wish it could be longer but its better to be adapted short & good than adapted long & bad. Plus depending on how its adapted the end-point could be around volume 4, the Junpei Arc, which would be a great stopping point.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:48 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
rahzel rose wrote:
I’m pleasantly surprised to see Terror on this list because I know most people seem to hate it. I personally loved it, though. For me, the animation was stellar, the music was fantastic and the acting was top notch. I’ve rewatched it a few times over the years and I still get emotional over Nine and Twelve even now. I mean, the story is not without its flaws, but on the whole I highly enjoyed it.

This is the first I’m hearing of Terror being poorly received (minus the guy at the top).

Yeah, from what I can tell, it doesn't seem like most people hate it. The series review here on ANN was very positive. The episode reviews were generally positive, though they rated the ending less highly. The user rating on the series page here is around 8/10, which is in line with its rating on other rating sites. Perhaps those who didn't like it have been more vocal about it since it aired, but they don't speak for everyone, or even most who watched it. Certainly not as highly rated as some of his other works, but fairly well received nonetheless, by critics and viewers alike.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:41 am Reply with quote
Voted for Zombieland Saga, Kakegurui, and Garo Vanishing Line. Garo the Animation is probably the more visually interesting Garo anime, but I thought Vanishing Line was the most fun of the three Garo anime.

There were some options on the list that I didn't know they worked on. I already feel ok about MAPPA handling Attack on Titan, but that list bolstered my opinion of the studio.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:41 am Reply with quote
For me it is Dororo, In This Corner of the World, Punch Line and Ushio to Tora. Altair: A Record of Battles and Banana Fish are runners up.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:18 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Perhaps those who didn't like it have been more vocal about it since it aired, but they don't speak for everyone, or even most who watched it. Certainly not as highly rated as some of his other works, but fairly well received nonetheless, by critics and viewers alike.

This is true! And I'm glad you pointed out all the positive attention the show has received because I honestly love it a lot and I'm happy to know others feel the same way.
Swissman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:02 pm Reply with quote
In this corner of the world should be on the list before everything else in my opinion. That is easily the best anime I've seen in the past 20 years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised to see Terror in Resonance on the list, but I haven’t watched it in years, so it’s possible my memory of being disappointed by it was as much due to high expectations as it’s actual story quality. The animation was gorgeous and the soundtrack was fantastic, but the story didn’t match.

But then I voted for Bahamut: Virgin Soul, because despite its infamous problematic romance, I loved Nina (the MC). So I can overlook flaws in some series! I also voted for Sarazanmai
Oggers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:46 pm Reply with quote
TooLazyToComeUpWithaName wrote:
Kakegurui should've made the list instead of YoI imo

Whether you like Yuri on Ice or not, it can't not be on the list. It's one of, if not the most successful of MAPPA's projects, both commercially and with anime fans.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Banana Fish is it.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
TooLazyToComeUpWithaName wrote:
Kakegurui should've made the list instead of YoI imo

Whether you like Yuri on Ice or not, it can't not be on the list. It's one of, if not the most successful of MAPPA's projects, both commercially and with anime fans.

It's honestly not even close. YOI's per volume sales are 3 1/2 times higher than the second best selling series they have (Zombieland Saga), and six times higher than the third place one (GranBlue Fantasy S2). It would be like making a Shaft retrospective and not mentioning Monogatari and Madoka Magica (incidentally the only two anime so far this century to sell more than YOI did).

Btw I love Sarazanmai, and it would be in my top five, but should it really be on here? It ended up being animated 95% by Lapin Track, not Mappa. As far I've seen, Mappa has pretty much stopped promoting it as one of their projects because of that.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Good list overall. GOHS is a huge letdown with very mixed animation (like 3 fights an episode 2 look like crap and the last one is really good) and a mess of a story. Director is just bad lol.

In all these examples tho, I felt that their endings got really rushed and killed a lot of the impact
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This anime is a perfect example of how a story and animation can work together to create a masterpiece. The complex coming of age story is brought to life by fluid and sharp animation. At its foundation is the hum of jazz music which ebbs and flows with the character's own stories. It's a series that, dare we say, is unmissable.

Kids on the Slope is a masterpiece? I thought it was decent, but I never saw it as exceptional. I was disappointed that the show was more of a weakly executed high school drama then it was about Jazz or the period it was set in. I would have liked more music or talking about the importance of Jazz. It just felt more like a minor accompaniment to the drama and like Terror in Resonance, another show I thought was just ok, Kids felt truncated story wise. I would have preferred to see a 22-24 episode show to truly develop the characters and have more music.

I thought they did a good job on Dorohedoro. They captured the absurdity of the manga and the anime had some great backgrounds I thought. The CG figures were ok, I've seen worse but nothing to be blown away by. Thumbs up on Rage of Bahamut: Genesis (not Virgin Soul), Dororo, Garo, and some of the others.

By the way why is The God of High School on the poll? The show just started, how can it be considered one of the best?
zeopower6

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:50 am Reply with quote
Whenever Zankyou no Terror / Terror in Resonance has come up in discussion I only ever see people being disappointed. It had high hype / hopes for sure but I don't know if it's stood the test of time, or even as it aired it seemed like people were not big on it.

Good music, good visuals, but everything else was lacking is what I see as the general sentiment nowadays.
Lenks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:42 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Lenks wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:

I know it stinks waiting, but I'd prefer low episode, high production for longer series. I can only imagine how much MHA would suffer if it were going the Naruto route.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3