• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Monster Girl Doctor

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q4000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:42 am Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
From the novel it's explained that Glenn is more of a general physician while Saphee is a pharmacist so she makes the drugs they use. I agree though that pharmacists don't get as much credit as other doctors.

Just so we're clear: pharmacists aren't doctors. Physicians undergo medical education, pharmacology being part of it. Pharmacists (IRL at least) study pharmacology but do not undergo medical education. If she were the former, she still merits being addressed as a doctor, regardless of her focus. In the first episode, she even corrects the centaur-girl who called her a nurse, that she is a doctor. It may be too much nit-picking for me, but that little thing just annoys me too much for some reason. Regardless, your last statement still stands.

As someone who delivers human equivalents to eggs on a daily basis, the birth scene was far, faaaar, from being an 'awooga awooga' experience.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I think a couple points were missed in the review.

Saphee was not explicitly in the house to assassinate the family, she was only instructed to do so in certain circumstances, which did not come to pass.

Just like the found egg, It's very unlikely the Harpy's egg was fertilized. I'm confused as to why the slavers were selling unfertilized eggs (food?) but I think such a fanservice story with light violence was unwilling to go the further despicable step of saying that not only were they being held captive but that they were also being... well, "forcefully fertilized."

And I have to admit, I really don't need that in my monster girl fetish show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hal14

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Just like the found egg, It's very unlikely the Harpy's egg was fertilized. I'm confused as to why the slavers were selling unfertilized eggs (food?)

It was stated that eggs were being sold to rich humans with unusual tastes
Grant D Clown
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Q4000 wrote:

Conversely, having someone who likes these sorts of shows would also be unfair since there would be a certain amount of bias as well, no? Regardless, I think you did a rather impartial review though.

I appreciate that. And again, the hope of the disclaimer was to be as clear as possible regarding my potential bias or ignorance. I may not be the best man for the job but I didn't wants folks to think I was going out of my way to bash the show or criticize it unjustly.

Spastic Minnow wrote:
I think a couple points were missed in the review.

Saphee was not explicitly in the house to assassinate the family, she was only instructed to do so in certain circumstances, which did not come to pass.

Just like the found egg, It's very unlikely the Harpy's egg was fertilized. I'm confused as to why the slavers were selling unfertilized eggs (food?) but I think such a fanservice story with light violence was unwilling to go the further despicable step of saying that not only were they being held captive but that they were also being... well, "forcefully fertilized."

And I have to admit, I really don't need that in my monster girl fetish show.

Fair, I skipped over that bit of nuance in the wording of the review, but I think the emotional heft of it was still there (Sapphentite has been carrying around the guilt of it for her entire life so I think she feels equally as guilty about it regardless of the details).

I agree that it seems like the show wants to say something without really getting into it at the same time. Are we here for the jiggle or are we here to talk about human trafficking and slavery? I'm not saying those have to be mutually exclusive - though hats off to the writer who can manage to juggle all that, I don't think I could - but the show seems hesitant to fully commit to these any of these themes. Ironically, I think episodes 3 and 4 have done a really good job of bringing in emotional nuance to the cast, so I wouldn't mind if they dropped the fan service pretext altogether and tried to tackle these other issues. But if the intent is fan service, then I think they should lean harder into that and drop some of the heavier themes because to me it doesn't seem like there is much titillation for the run time.

---

I'm glad to hear that others are having similar issues with the tonal whiplash of the fan service elements. I'm struggling to see how these moments - being so short in length and suddenly much more gratuitous than the rest of the work - do anything other than jolt someone out of the viewing experience. Your mileage may vary of course, but it's good to know I'm not alone in this.

So with Monster Musume is it much more of a constant element in the show? I've not seen/read any of it myself.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:10 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Grant D Clown"]
Q4000 wrote:

Spastic Minnow wrote:

Fair, I skipped over that bit of nuance in the wording of the review, but I think the emotional heft of it was still there (Sapphentite has been carrying around the guilt of it for her entire life so I think she feels equally as guilty about it regardless of the details).

Hmmm, that actually makes me think of something else. If the family knew Saphee had orders to kill them, if needed, then they would have also had plans to counter the possibility. Technically, Glen should have a little guilt too. Saphee may have had her orders but conversely, Glen's family would have been as willing as the poisoner to kill HER when that time came. I guess Glen avoids those feelings because, 1) he was not expected to take any action himself (unlike Saphee) and 2) He's a typically dense lead that only has his generally benevolent motivations rather than feeling responsible for his family's actions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hal14

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Technically, Glen should have a little guilt too. I guess Glen avoids those feelings because, 1) he was not expected to take any action himself (unlike Saphee) and 2) He's a typically dense lead that only has his generally benevolent motivations rather than feeling responsible for his family's actions.

He says he knew about her mission and his families plan, and the opening minute of episode 4 spells out that his experience with saphee was his motivation for being a doctor specifically for monsters. Does the series still have to outright state that he felt guilty?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Grant D Clown wrote:

So with Monster Musume is it much more of a constant element in the show? I've not seen/read any of it myself.

Quite constant. The whole premise is more and more monster girls come into the MC's life and many wind up living with him. Of course most start to have feelings for him and he finds himself in a plethora of the stereotypical "accidental" fanservice scene. Later manga volumes start to amp it up even more with some of the supporting cast. One volume deals with the MC basically having to convince a cow girl monster to let him milk her for her health. It's of course presented in a way over the top sexual manner when it actually happens. One saving grace is the MC is genuine about helping the various monster girls, and does fight against (I say that loosely) their pervy shenanigans towards him.

There are some actual nice interactions with various monster girls and conversations that are had. There are some heartwarming moments and the series does have some charm to it. Those moments do still take the back seat to the T&A, and the series does not try to convince you otherwise. In terms of T&A ecchi series though I do find it to be one of the better examples in recent years.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:19 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Technically, Glen should have a little guilt too. I guess Glen avoids those feelings because, 1) he was not expected to take any action himself (unlike Saphee) and 2) He's a typically dense lead that only has his generally benevolent motivations rather than feeling responsible for his family's actions.

He says he knew about her mission and his families plan, and the opening minute of episode 4 spells out that his experience with saphee was his motivation for being a doctor specifically for monsters. Does the series still have to outright state that he felt guilty?

Not exactly, but his response to her heartfelt confession was basically a shrug.
"Yeah, I know. My family knew, one of us almost killed you and if we had to- probably would have killed you later." *smile*

It wasn't his idea and he turned a bad situation into something good but his "it was what it was" reaction leaves a little to be desired IMO.
Not a big complaint really, just an observation. His situation was like hers but his feelings about it were very different.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, I wasn't expecting to see Nana to Kaoru this week, but there it was.

Anyway, having only read through the mermaid arc, I've been enjoying the series so far and looking forward to the next ep =)
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:07 am Reply with quote
Kudos to you Mr. Jones, your writing around the description of the situation with the centaur attendants was brilliant! Makes me think you are a "horse person"...
Grant D Clown
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Well, I wasn't expecting to see Nana to Kaoru this week, but there it was.

Anyway, having only read through the mermaid arc, I've been enjoying the series so far and looking forward to the next ep =)

As much as I end up torn about it each week, I find that the parts I enjoy I really do enjoy.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Kudos to you Mr. Jones, your writing around the description of the situation with the centaur attendants was brilliant! Makes me think you are a "horse person"...

Anime smile + sweatdrop Ah thank you, I do my best. I'm not a "horse person" mind you, but then again Tisalia is my favorite of the main cast thus far.
Seagloom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The surgery itself was tense but not quite what it could have been. I assume by next episode it will all be wrapped up and done with

Unfortunately, it seems you missed a post-credit scene.
Grant D Clown
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Seagloom wrote:
Quote:
The surgery itself was tense but not quite what it could have been. I assume by next episode it will all be wrapped up and done with

Unfortunately, it seems you missed a post-credit scene.

Oh no! I never watch the episode previews so I guess I missed that x_x
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Grant D Clown wrote:
...But the “action” surrounding her theft and attempted escape felt awkward, though I can't quite put my finger on why....We get a spray of noxious fumes into the air and a beam of light, then fade to credits unsure of the operation's success...I assume by next episode it will all be wrapped up and done with...
It is awkward because Arahnia and Sapphee being "friends" makes her attempted theft and continued scheming to "steal" Dr. Glenn a betrayal of trust and friendship that normally could/would call for ending the relationship. Also, that Tisalia would get involved to help Sapphee with Arahnia is baffling, I can't think of a reason she would be motivated or even care to do that except obligation (??). The choice Sapphee makes to overlook it and her machinations for the good Doctor is likewise baffling if you ask me so the whole sequence seems strange as well as very awkward. I am guessing the writers wanted to make the "girls" act like very good friends to justify having a long personal "chat" together but without the narrative setup to go with that, or that even making sense in context.

Yes, watch the after-credits scene!
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:22 am Reply with quote
I find it odd that the reviewer missed the after credits section where the herald announced to the city the surgery’s out come. This part rapped up the whole episode without the viewer having to wait a week to know the out come of the surgery! Good job director!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3