• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Easy way to see all news except one or two categories?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marmalade665

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:38 am Reply with quote
On the main page is there an easy way to select all the news categories ("All" doesn't select them) so that I can deselect individual ones that don't interest me? Currently the only method I've found is to click on each of those I'm interested in individually and leave out those that I don't want to see. Having "All" select all the categories or having them all selected by default would seem more logical.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Being able to remove one type of article from the feed is on the to-do list.

The expected way it will work, you'll double click on the filter to remove it.

-t
marmalade665

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Being able to remove one type of article from the feed is on the to-do list.

The expected way it will work, you'll double click on the filter to remove it.

While this would be very welcome, I do find it less obvious in user interface terms. I think it would be easier for most users to figure out having all the categories selected and deselect them individually with a single click.

I actually find it somewhat funny that ANN makes it very easy to see less news (clicking on one category eliminates all other story types) verses requiring more clicks to get down to one category.

Perhaps consider using the double click to show only one category. That way you still allow the single category viewing available now but make the intuitive single click only hide one category instead of all-but-one.

Viewing a single category seems like a feature most users outside the staff would rarely use anyhow (I've almost never use it). But maybe I'm wrong.

Appreciate the great anime news site!
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I forgot to mention, have you tried clicking on the gear ?
marmalade665

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
I forgot to mention, have you tried clicking on the gear ?

I hadn't, but sadly that suffers from the same problem. To select all but one category requires you to click on each of them except that one.

Suggestion for that screen:
Checking "All" should check all the categories not uncheck them (then you could uncheck the ones you didn't want). Unchecking "All" (by click) should uncheck everything to let you select individual categories.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:25 am Reply with quote
marmalade665 wrote:

Checking "All" should check all the categories not uncheck them (then you could uncheck the ones you didn't want). Unchecking "All" (by click) should uncheck everything to let you select individual categories.

Okay, this is a good idea. I'll have it done in the next update to that section.

-t
marmalade665

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:38 am Reply with quote
Still hoping for a change to allow quick deselecting of one or two categories. I thought the idea of having all categories selected on the home page or preferences (when all is active) would allow an easy way to turn off categories (now that are all deselected in all mode).

I visit from random machines so I'm generally not logged in. Being able to turn off "Games" in one or two clicks instead of 14 would be helpful.

Thanks for your time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1