• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll, Adult Swim Announce Original Fena: Pirate Princess Anime for 2021

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Because the entire thing looks like one of those myriad of disposable Netflix original animes in the vein of B: The Beginning, Hero Mask and Sword Gai

As someone who never really found much interest in western coproductions/fundings, I think this actually looks somewhat interesting. It looks more, well, creative. B the Beginning and Hero Mask just came off like safe crime drama shows that would appeal to a general western audience where there are already a ton of those types of shows on prime time TV. This already looks more creative and interesting by comparison. I'll give it a chance to see how it turns out.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I know Toonami passed up on airing more One Piece because they wanted less long running shows on the block but also like One Piece is right there if they wanted to air a pirate anime. And there's even new dub episodes out now.

Did it bring in the ratings? I remember there was literally years between dubbing episodes and always heard One Piece just wasn't that popular in America compared to other shounen anime.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:40 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:

Did it bring in the ratings? I remember there was literally years between dubbing episodes and always heard One Piece just wasn't that popular in America compared to other shounen anime.
I don't have the ratings on me right now but it's still a top streaming show for Crunchyroll in spite of the claims that it's not popular in the US. It's not like Dragon Ball levels but it probably couldn't do worse than Boruto. But I'm just going by what the collective wisdom was on ANN three years ago about why it was cancelled that it was because they wanted more shorter shows like Tokyo Ghoul to air. animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3061785
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:41 pm Reply with quote
A bunch of off topic or trollish posts, and some responses to them, are now gone. This is not a debate on what is or is not anime. That is off topic and can stop. We see enough of that debate anymore in other various threads. Several of you need to calm down and not be so rude to each other, or in general.

As for the larger debate, people can debate and have different opinions. The fact is however, that the specific term used to describe Fena, or what her only real hope is based on her location and future, is not accurate. The term is in fact very specific and would not apply to her given it's historical context. Simply calling her a slave would be entirely different. Instead they used a very specific term for her. Now the production crew can certainly use it if they want, it's not as if this is some non-fiction historical biographic piece. This is an anime. Maybe they're ignorant of the specific definition, maybe they're stretching it for use in this story, or maybe they simply don't care. It honestly does not matter, they can do what they want. However, if you're going to use such specific defined terminology for your character, and it is not accurate, it is perfectly reasonable for people to go, "wait a second, this is not accurate at all." If you do not care as a viewer that the term is being used incorrectly then good for you. That does not mean you can insult others who are pointing out the actual fallacy of using this term for the show/character.

That is the last that will be said on this debate of chattel, or a broader discussion of slavery as a topic, in this thread. This is simply an announcement. Save the moral indignation and debates for the eventual series discussion threads. So let's move on.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I hope the pirates in this get to actually do pirate things. I'm so sick of pirates in anime not, you know, being actual pirates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
squirrelmecha-2.0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Soo HBOs OZ but with pirates, scurvy, syphilis and cabin boys?

penguintruth wrote:
I hope the pirates in this get to actually do pirate things. I'm so sick of pirates in anime not, you know, being actual pirates.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Not really digging the Samurai looking pirates or how in that one scene they just popped out of no where like Ninja do, but other than that it looks pretty good so far.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:16 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:
I know right. Like sure all we got at the moment is a minute long trailer but it is just a teaser, that successively gives out the basic hook of the show which is samurai ninja pirates which isn't really a bad concept. Nothing wrong with having some optimism & waiting for a new show to show off its chops especially since it has the rest of the year & next to further refine itself.

I'm not saying it is but I feel like at least some of the negativity is due to the show being Western backed by Crunchyroll & Adult Swim.

Seconded. I know everyone's still butthurt because High Guardian Spice exists -- hey, whatever happened to that thing, anyways? -- but jumping to trash an original anime based on a short trailer and the fact that it has Western backing is short-sighted.

I mean, if nothing else, thank god it's not another zero-effort isekai light novel show, right?

It's not short-sighted when literally everything else they've plastered their name on in this manner has ended up being generic trash. We have more reason to be worried than not to be. As I said, it basically seems the more influence the west has, the worse the anime gets. I can also hate "Zero-effort isekai" just as much as I hate CR's influence on anime, so no, it's not an "at least" thing. I'd rather Production IG spend their anime making more great original anime. Or maybe make more anime from the Moribito franchise , something actually good

samurai ninja pirates is literally something we memed about on the Adult Swim Message Boards back in the early 00s. That's how cringe this this is so far. Accurate pirates would be more interesting.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

It's not short-sighted when literally everything else they've plastered their name on in this manner has ended up being generic trash. We have more reason to be worried than not to be. As I said, it basically seems the more influence the west has, the worse the anime gets. I can also hate "Zero-effort isekai" just as much as I hate CR's influence on anime, so no, it's not an "at least" thing. I'd rather Production IG spend their anime making more great original anime. Or maybe make more anime from the Moribito franchise , something actually good

samurai ninja pirates is literally something we memed about on the Adult Swim Message Boards back in the early 00s. That's how cringe this this is so far. Accurate pirates would be more interesting.
The "West" which I guess is now synonymous with only the US and not any other Western nations has nothing to do with the actual creative process of any of these anime projects. Almost all of the prior Crunchyroll Originals are based on Korean webcomics animated by Japanese studios which I guess is also the "West" now. You're free to not like these shows but outside of the projects being done by American studios like High Guardian Spice and Onyx Equinox, Crunchyroll has had no involvement in the actual creative process of any of their Crunchyroll Originals and are just securing exclusive licensing for them, same as Netflix. And if you think only the "West" makes generic anime, you never watched Pilot Candidate or any of the dozens of forgettable shows about Obu Nobunaga Japan has made in the past decade.
nDroae

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:44 pm Reply with quote
They did say "I can also hate 'Zero-effort isekai' just as much as I hate CR's influence on anime," so it doesn't seem like they think Japan doesn't make generic anime.

penguintruth wrote:

This isn't exclusive to anime, though - Pirates of the Caribbean mostly had its heroes fighting supernatural threats rather than actually committing acts of piracy. Hollywood's previous effort, Cutthroat Island, was about a treasure hunt. It's easier to maintain viewer sympathy by not showing piracy, though I guess one could do some sort of Robin Hood type story with selfless pirates. Better make sure the people being stolen from are all at least somewhat despicable. It would require braver investors to produce something more like a mob story, where the main characters are all clearly victimizing the innocent.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:42 pm Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
They did say "I can also hate 'Zero-effort isekai' just as much as I hate CR's influence on anime," so it doesn't seem like they think Japan doesn't make generic anime.

The point is that Crunchyroll is not having a creative influence on the direction an anime show goes in. Given the rise in popularity of Korean Webtoons, an anime adaptation of popular titles like Tower of God or The God of High School would have been inevitable eventually even if Crunchyroll didn't secure exclusive streaming rights for them. Literally the only thing Crunchyroll is doing for these kinds of shows is buying their way into the production committee to buy the exclusive streaming rights. Same thing with Funimation and Fire Force which somehow doesn't count as "Western influence." And Korean comics isn't "the West."
nDroae

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:46 pm Reply with quote
There's no need to reiterate any of that; I was only replying to the last sentence of your previous post. If I'd disagreed with your main point, I would have addressed it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4