• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: RADWIMPS Band's Yōjirō Noda Attracts Backlash After Pro-Eugenics Tweet

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:11 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
The internet really needs to work on finding the middle ground between "don't take anything seriously, who cares, get over it" and "anyone who ever says anything that could be construed as controversial politics must be metaphorically tarred-and-feathered, along with anyone who doesn't endorse this reaction."

I've heard other options exist, but rarely do I see them exercised. Certainly not seeing any in here, yet. Maybe, for example, we could agree that while it was obviously a joke, it was also in bad taste and he shouldn't have said it? Does that work?

Agreed—this was obviously meant to be humorous, but not only isn’t it a good joke, it’s a bad joke about picking the spouse of a girl, which is creepy. The internet needs a way to say: “hey, that’s kinda gross, knock it off” without canceling everyone who’s ever said anything kinda gross.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:36 am Reply with quote
I'm kind of baffled by the responses here because nowhere in this article was there any mention of "cancelling" Noda, or even anything super derogatory. The comments that have been translated have seemed like actual attempts at educating Noda about why what he said was Not Great more than anything else. (And I doubt anyone actually thinks Noda is pro-eugenics. They simply mention that Noda's comments run very in-line with eugenics arguments, which is unintentional, I'm sure, but impact often precludes intentions.)

Basically, people have been saying that this is an unfunny and gross joke, and the reason why is that it skirts very close to eugenicist arguments. And it reads more to me like people are trying to warn Noda of that rather than attack him.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:58 am Reply with quote
To all the people saying it's just a joke;
If your joke makes nazis nod in agreement, That's a bad joke and you should have to deal with the consequences, maybe learn something.
It's actually surprisingly easy for completely normal, non-radicals to slip into some pro-eugenics bs sometimes and that's why it should not be defended.
Never again means never again.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:01 pm Reply with quote
We all should just stop talking to each other. There will always be some group or faction that will not like what you are saying and will make sure you know about it. Safer to stay in a bunker.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I think all he meant to say was something like, "These people are awesome; wish we could bottle what they've got."

After reading a number of the Japanese responses, and wondering whether this was just Twitter being Twitter or if there was something more to it, a Japanese commenter posted a photo of a document certifying someone unfit to give birth. Japan used to have a eugenics law, and under it there were an estimated 24,000 forced sterilizations and abortions. It was only reformed in 1996(!), and only a few years ago that the government made compensation available to the victims.

So while Twitter's always gonna be Twitter, maybe they also have good reason to be touchier about this than we might expect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2