• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Manga Artist Sumito Ōwara Responds to Following CG Erotic Art of Child Characters on Pixiv

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FukuchiChiisaia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:07 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
hikura wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Not thrilled to learn that the manga artist for Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! likes 2D and 3D illustrations of children in sexual situations. Ugh.

He said he did not know that the person did that sort of artwork.Please reread the article.
I personally like some of Shirow's artwork .Doesn't mean i like all of his artwork.Some of his artwork is graphic.

I don't believe him.

Have you ever use Pixiv? You will never know what kind of content will be posted by any artist.

An artist that I followed only have beautiful mature girls on their work.... until one day all new artwork suddenly changed into futanari stuff. You just don't know what kind of content will be posted.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:21 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
hikura wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Not thrilled to learn that the manga artist for Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! likes 2D and 3D illustrations of children in sexual situations. Ugh.

He said he did not know that the person did that sort of artwork.Please reread the article.
I personally like some of Shirow's artwork .Doesn't mean i like all of his artwork.Some of his artwork is graphic.

I don't believe him.
I don't either, but who cares? Everyone on Pixiv has at least one sketchy person that they're following, and anyone who tells you otherwise is lying. Let him do what he wants.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:57 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
It honestly reads more like he was under the impression that 2D is pedophilic but 3D was not...?

He said he assumes foreigners think 3D loli is different from 2D loli in terms of morality, not that he views either of those himself as pedophilia. The indication is fairly clear he himself doesn't see the issue with following these kinds of artists or viewing such content, but the foreigners who complained to him on Twitter about it do view it different. As for not following them anymore, I assume he either uses a second account now or manually bookmarks artists he likes now. He was pretty blunt in this response about not seeing it as an issue at all. Which isn't too surprising given Eizoukan is about creating art and creativity. I would assume he's not a huge fan of trying to police artistic freedom.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:27 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I don't either, but who cares? Everyone on Pixiv has at least one sketchy person that they're following, and anyone who tells you otherwise is lying. Let him do what he wants.

Of course he's free to do what he wants. Just like I'm free to be skeeved out by it. Listen, I hope he followed those artists without knowing about the kiddie stuff. I'm a big fan of Eizouken, so I'd prefer to think its creator doesn't vibe on illustrations of children being in sexual situations but re: the article:

Quote:
after readers discovered he was following multiple pixiv accounts that specialized in erotic art of underage characters.

So he was following MULTIPLE accounts that SPECIALIZED in this stuff, yet was completely unaware of it? Riiiiiiight. But hey, your credulity mileage may vary.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:04 am Reply with quote
He probably found those artists through Pixiv recommendations, either seeing the artist' name multiple times when searching a certain topics or just seeing it when he bookmarked another artists. Or the artis' descent to NSFW/lolicon world is something recent.

It actually happened to me when I was searching for some free to use materials on Pixiv, and not once or twice either. One of the most memorable one was this artist who makes one of the nicest and most detailed free to use background lineart materials (for free!), but he also draw hardcore lolicon doujinshi. His name appears alot if you search through background tags like classroom or recommendation. Good thing he tagged all his works properly, so I can just ignore the lolicon art and bookmark all the freebies.

I think Pixiv have mute tag feature, so you won't get notified or see works with that tag on your "new from following" page. Also, just because he follows few lolicon artists, his recommendations/discovery won't be filled with lolicon unless he specifically bookmark the lolicon art. I haven't seen any of the artist above's lolicon art on my recc despite having bookmarked 20 or so his works (the freebies). Pixiv algorithm is smarter than deviantart.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:34 am Reply with quote
Here's the thing about plausible deniability about "not knowing" about the contents of the artists he followed. The only way that's possible is if he had the NSFW filter on.

I viewed the account before writing this article and in the case of the 3DCG, this isn't a "recent" change in art focus on the account. It's literally all they create. It isn't art of women with small chests: the artist even made a sheet where they showed the different body types they can make with their "loli" (as it was labeled) type featured most often. It wasn't art of young-looking characters in swimsuits (there was a small portion of that); the large majority of the art was child-like characters with large, adult men engaging in sexual acts.

I tried to make this clear in the article without being unnecessarily graphic and I knew the forum would include people trying to find hairs to split. Personally, I'm a little surprised by his comment of overseas vs. Japan. Unless you live in the insular anime/manga bubble where there's constantly conversations about whether liking this kind of thing technically makes you pedophile or not because no real people are involved, any layperson who found out this was the kind of art you enjoy would absolutely regard you with suspicion. It's not like the average Japanese person is totally cool and understanding about this sort of thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:18 am Reply with quote
On the one hand, I despise the online and societal culture nowadays that feels it can force everyone into a puritanical, "squeaky clean" mold of morals and artistic expression...

ON THE OTHER HAND, following artists who make graphic erotic art depicting children and responding to criticism of that with, "I don't get it" is rather tone-deaf and willfully ignorant of how disturbing that revelation can be. It falls down, to me, to "Dude, do your research for like 2 minutes before following people who MAY BE PEDOPHILIC ARTISTS."

You can research and enjoy controversial art but to also claim you just "didn't know" smacks a little false to me. Rolling Eyes Controversial art versus art that depicts explicit sexual acts involving children is rather two different things.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:20 am Reply with quote
I don't know anything about "cancel culture" or whatever you hip kids are calling it these days (I don't have a Twitter or even a Facebook account, so I miss out on a lot of social outrage), but I personally wasn't thrilled with this tone-deaf response. Due to all the delays in the manga publishing industry this year, I have over 30 manga and light novel volumes preordered for the fall, and with that amount of stuff to read coming into my home all at once, I can safely say that I'm not going to feel particularly bad about letting go of my Eizouken preorder. My money, time, and available shelf space are all far from infinite, and there's just too much stuff to buy and read for me to buy or read this creator's stuff.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:22 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I wasn't happy with his mention of "people overseas." The inference seems to be that everything was cool until those durn ferrerners started their whiny belly-aching over illustrations of kids have sex with adults.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:39 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

I tried to make this clear in the article without being unnecessarily graphic and I knew the forum would include people trying to find hairs to split. Personally, I'm a little surprised by his comment of overseas vs. Japan. Unless you live in the insular anime/manga bubble where there's constantly conversations about whether liking this kind of thing technically makes you pedophile or not because no real people are involved, any layperson who found out this was the kind of art you enjoy would absolutely regard you with suspicion. It's not like the average Japanese person is totally cool and understanding about this sort of thing.

I think it's because Pixiv is exactly in that bubble, large part of its userbase are the kind of people who won't judge other people's following/likes and tell them through public place (or even PM). They know there are things like that, but it's easy to avoid them with all those filters and tag muting, underage are usually protected beyond the filters (unless they lie about their age+turning off the filter).

Most people also wouldn't check who you follows since unlike Twitter, other people won't see them (as notification or reccs) unless they specifically go to the artist' following page or bookmark (if it's public bookmark/follows). Owara follows 400-ish artists, while certainly not much (some people follow thousands), still take alot of time to check. That kind of dedication to find someone else' dirt is very creepy stalker-ish.
Tatakau88

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:20 am Reply with quote
So the cultural difference in a nutshell
Japanese internet sites: unlimited erotic fun with fictional characters.

usa internet sites: for violent things everything is allowed optionally you can be a literal terrorist in games like gta/hatred. For sexual things: if something are not allowed in reality not allowed in fiction either.

i dont think cultural things have any logic, gamers saying "but they are just games, nothing more" ... dlsite have loli/rape games so "they are just games nothing more?

If i search the internet for "rape crime rate by country" and modern east asian counrtys are lower than western average only one thing is sure: this type of artworks popularity not make the crimerates higher. Because in 2020 everything are avaible worldwide i dont think these artworks make it lower either like some people saying, but i cant be sure.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:27 am Reply with quote
Tatakau88 wrote:
So the cultural difference in a nutshell
Japanese internet sites: unlimited erotic fun with fictional characters.

I guess that's one way to describe illustrations of children having sex with adults. Not sure I see the need to soft peddle it, though.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:47 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yeah, I wasn't happy with his mention of "people overseas." The inference seems to be that everything was cool until those durn ferrerners started their whiny belly-aching over illustrations of kids have sex with adults.

I mean, if everything was quiet until people started screaming at him in English, then that's kinda what happened, no?
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:37 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Personally, I'm a little surprised by his comment of overseas vs. Japan. Unless you live in the insular anime/manga bubble where there's constantly conversations about whether liking this kind of thing technically makes you pedophile or not because no real people are involved, any layperson who found out this was the kind of art you enjoy would absolutely regard you with suspicion. It's not like the average Japanese person is totally cool and understanding about this sort of thing.

Actually that content was legal up until like 2014 in Japan, so it's not surprising that some may not have the same views as the west. Not saying that's a good thing, but it's easy to see why he might not think it's a big deal.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:39 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
Personally, I'm a little surprised by his comment of overseas vs. Japan. Unless you live in the insular anime/manga bubble where there's constantly conversations about whether liking this kind of thing technically makes you pedophile or not because no real people are involved, any layperson who found out this was the kind of art you enjoy would absolutely regard you with suspicion. It's not like the average Japanese person is totally cool and understanding about this sort of thing.

Actually that content was legal up until like 2014 in Japan, so it's not surprising that some may not have the same views as the west. Not saying that's a good thing, but it's easy to see why he might not think it's a big deal.

Although, I think it's important to underscore the bolded part of octopodpie's comment. I'm actually not that interested whether or not he personally feels illustrations of children having sex with adults is a big deal. His reference to "people overseas" strikes me as a disingenuous attempt to make it seem like this is just a foreign-driven tempest in a teapot considering that plenty of Japanese people would be similarly skeeved out. There are reasons why otaku are viewed as unsavoury freaks by a not inconsiderable swath of the general Japanese population and thinking that illustrations of kids having sex with adults is "no biggie" is one of them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5