• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Manga Artist Sumito Ōwara Responds to Following CG Erotic Art of Child Characters on Pixiv

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Kisuke525 wrote:
I don't see the problem with him saying "people overseas" because they were the ones that were complaining. Honestly, Japanese artists getting complained at and in some cases insulted or accused of being a criminal by people from outside Japan is starting to become a pretty common thing on the internet. The only time I ever really see Japanese people complain is when a character from a manga/Ln/whatever is being used to push a political stance. Other than that they don't seem to care what type of art you view or create and that's probably for the best imo.

Given how much backlash there was against the relatively tame pearl diver and blood drive artwork (not to mention the whole "Otaku Murderer" thing from the 80s), it feels like mainstream Japanese media fixates a lot more on anime artwork than overseas news outlets. Here in the US, local newspapers and basic cable news channels tend to forget that anime fans even exist until some teacher finds a "Death Note" in a kid's locker.

Last edited by BodaciousSpacePirate on Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:20 pm Reply with quote
To all the people who defend this sort of art by trying to make it into an issue of "western ideals" that are ruining this hobby I have a suggestion for you. Let's call it a scientific experiment. Pick 10 random people in your life that you know who are NOT a fan of anime or manga. Not simply people who don't like this specific niche within the fandom, 10 people who simply aren't into anime or manga as far as you know. They can be coworkers, friends, family, your mailman, the barista at your local Starbucks, whoever. Go to those 10 people and show them each a handful of such erotic artwork images. See how they respond and what their "interest" in such art is. See if they don't look at you differently, seem uncomfortable, or try and actually get some physical distance from you. See what your parents think of it.

We can go back and forth on the "they're not real children" debate until the cows come home. The simple fact is it's not just "western ideals" pushing a social or political agenda against such drawings. I guarantee you that 9 out of 10 random normal people not into anime/manga (let alone this niche within it), would be grossed out by such drawings and act differently around you moving forward if they knew you were into it. You are more then welcomed to be into this art if you want. Your choice. It is other people's choice to be weirded out by it to say the least. The fact that they would likely be grossed out by it has nothing to do with any sort of political or social agenda, and your probable reaction from most people would be the same regardless of your location and if you lived in Japan, America, Canada, Spain, South Africa, Turkey, Russia, or the International Space Station. It would be no different than if you went around showing those same people drawings of some erotic monster girl art or erotic fantasy art (Luis Royo for example).

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tatakau88

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Almost every time when i read hate comments on loli post they are in English.
Also you underestimated the number of otakus in Japan
https://www.pixiv.net/info.php?id=5800
Just the pixiv account holders number in Japan are 60%of 50 million=30 million about 1/4 if the total population ... Most of the remaining 20 million are still from Asia
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Tatakau88 wrote:

Almost every time when i read hate comments on loli post they are in English.
Also you underestimated the number of otakus in Japan
https://www.pixiv.net/info.php?id=5800
Just the pixiv account holders number in Japan are 60%of 50 million=30 million about 1/4 if the total population ... Most of the remaining 20 million are still from Asia

That’s not how statistics work. 1 account = 1 person is not even remotely close to being true, and in no way does it mean any of those people are okay with sexual images of children.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

We can go back and forth on the "they're not real children" debate until the cows come home. The simple fact is it's not just "western ideals" pushing a social or political agenda against such drawings. I guarantee you that 9 out of 10 random normal people not into anime/manga (let alone this niche within it), would be grossed out by such drawings and act differently around you moving forward if they knew you were into it.

I agree with you 100% that likely 9 out of 10 people would indeed react in a manner like you described. Any sort of weirdo fetish would have the same effect.
But I also feel that's not looking at the whole picture. In my opinion it's quite obvious that the US, at least, has a certain puritanical leaning against anything sexual. Look at our ratings for movies or video games--a remarkable amount of violence is allowed even at the lower rating categories, but the moment a bare breast is involved then that movie is instantly R (or the game M). Japan does not have that same puritanical background and thus we would expect would have different attitudes.

Nick Tosches wrote, in an article discussing underage prostitution in Southeast Asia:
Quote:
Girls pass, approach the shrine, sweep back their hair with both hands in ritual obeisance.

“They ask for a good night, a customer who treats them kindly,” observes my friend.

Under the third precept of Buddhism, which demands abstinence from all moral misconduct, 20 groups of women are listed as forbidden. Whores are not included among them.

Granted that Nick is not talking about Loli art here, but I think it illustrates the huge cultural difference between eastern and western attitudes towards sex, and there's no doubt some of that has trickled down to make loli art especially offensive to many westerners. This difference is also discussed at length in Pink Samurai by Nicholas Bornoff.
Donpablo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
To all the people who defend this sort of art by trying to make it into an issue of "western ideals" that are ruining this hobby I have a suggestion for you. Let's call it a scientific experiment. Pick 10 random people in your life that you know who are NOT a fan of anime or manga. Not simply people who don't like this specific niche within the fandom, 10 people who simply aren't into anime or manga as far as you know. They can be coworkers, friends, family, your mailman, the barista at your local Starbucks, whoever. Go to those 10 people and show them each a handful of such erotic artwork images. See how they respond and what their "interest" in such art is. See if they don't look at you differently, seem uncomfortable, or try and actually get some physical distance from you. See what your parents think of it.

We can go back and forth on the "they're not real children" debate until the cows come home. The simple fact is it's not just "western ideals" pushing a social or political agenda against such drawings. I guarantee you that 9 out of 10 random normal people not into anime/manga (let alone this niche within it), would be grossed out by such drawings and act differently around you moving forward if they knew you were into it. You are more then welcomed to be into this art if you want. Your choice. It is other people's choice to be weirded out by it to say the least. The fact that they would likely be grossed out by it has nothing to do with any sort of political or social agenda, and your probable reaction from most people would be the same regardless of your location and if you lived in Japan, America, Canada, Spain, South Africa, Turkey, Russia, or the International Space Station. It would be no different than if you went around showing those same people drawings of some erotic monster girl art or erotic fantasy art (Luis Royo for example).

Why would I or anyone have to defend anything let alone go with this moral litmus test? Let alone the process of defining who would classify as "normal" to you.

The point the author is making is not caring what other people think of his interests. He resides in his own social bubble that carry the same likes/dislikes. Subject matter, art style those kind of things. Like many of us in the anime community. Anecdotally I can say I have a great friend that finds girls doing cute things shows as skeevy. However he respects my choice because it's something I enjoy and doesn't admonish me for liking said thing.

This is whats happening. People whom disagree with a persons likes and are trying to shame/change him from doing so.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:57 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:

Granted that Nick is not talking about Loli art here, but I think it illustrates the huge cultural difference between eastern and western attitudes towards sex, and there's no doubt some of that has trickled down to make loli art especially offensive to many westerners. This difference is also discussed at length in Pink Samurai by Nicholas Bornoff.

I think this is a REALLY disingenuous comparison and honestly most of the sex workers I know would be pissed. You're quoting something talking about adult women providing a sexual service to other adults for monetary compensation. The only commonality that has to the topic here is the word "sex" and there is a not-small number of people in the West who believe sex work is real work and should be able to be conducted under safe conditions for workers and patrons. However, you are also conflating the presence of a more robust sex industry in Japan with social acceptability.

Regardless of the existence of places like Kabukicho, that doesn't mean that Japanese people think patronizing such places are not a big deal or that working in such a place won't affect your social standing.

Nor does it mean that Japanese people are more accepting of consuming erotic art of fictional children for sexual gratification than their Western counterparts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Meongantuk wrote:

Most people also wouldn't check who you follows since unlike Twitter, other people won't see them (as notification or reccs) unless they specifically go to the artist' following page or bookmark (if it's public bookmark/follows). Owara follows 400-ish artists, while certainly not much (some people follow thousands), still take alot of time to check. That kind of dedication to find someone else' dirt is very creepy stalker-ish.

The two accounts with the art were his most recently followed accounts, so they show at the top of the list. No one had to go digging through 400 artists, and the art itself was on display on the follow list, so they didn't even have to look at any individual accounts to see the artwork in question.

I don't know why people were looking through his follows, but it may have been they wanted to see what art he likes. When I had a quick look through, I could see a number of artists that did sort of mechanical design etc that was quite interesting. Plus, the mangaka has a very distinctive style, so they may have been looking through to see if he's followed artists with similarly different art styles. Looking at your favorite artists inspirations isn't an unheard of concept.

octopodpie wrote:
It wasn't art of young-looking characters in swimsuits (there was a small portion of that); the large majority of the art was child-like characters with large, adult men engaging in sexual acts.

Oh, yikes. I didn't look at the accounts because I didn't want that shit in my history lol I didn't realise it went beyond child-like characters posing in lingery.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

That argument kind of fails on specificity as ANY outlier fetish is likely to produce that kind of reaction. For example, pick 10 random strangers who also aren't into anime or manga, or hell, just choose the same 10 people as above, and show them each a handful of some of the riskier BL works. I wouldn't be surprised if the reaction be likely the same as what you just described...

Last edited by Blanchimont on Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh, so your actual argument was using a book to justify an aversion to child prostitution as Puritanical. Well, that changes things then.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:58 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:

I agree with you 100% that likely 9 out of 10 people would indeed react in a manner like you described. Any sort of weirdo fetish would have the same effect.
But I also feel that's not looking at the whole picture. In my opinion it's quite obvious that the US, at least, has a certain puritanical leaning against anything sexual.

I'm not debating that nor even disagreeing with the US's views on sexual material as a broader topic. I actually would agree in many ways. Nor would I argue against 9 out of 10 people would react the same to any sort of sexual outlier. However, that is comparing apples to oranges with my point. My point was specific in regards to people who like to complain about other people's, or country's, moral intervening as a way to ignore that their very niche sub-genre in a hobby would be found gross, or at least uncomfortable, by the vast majority of people regardless of their geographical location. That's it. I find that people that make those sorts of specific arguments are just blowing out a smokescreen to not have to admit they actually like that sort of artwork personally. It's much easier to go on the moral tirade or claim "western morals" or "she's really 1000 years old" rather than say "i like sexualized drawings of what appears to be little children".

Which to me is also what Owara has primarily done. Especially since the account in question was clearly only about such drawings, and he unfollowed the account. If you truly didn't know, or in particular simply don't care, you probably wouldn't then bother to unfollow it. You'd just go about your business and ignore everything others say. He didn't do that.

Donpablo wrote:

Why would I or anyone have to defend anything let alone go with this moral litmus test? Let alone the process of defining who would classify as "normal" to you.

The point the author is making is not caring what other people think of his interests. He resides in his own social bubble that carry the same likes/dislikes. Subject matter, art style those kind of things. Like many of us in the anime community. Anecdotally I can say I have a great friend that finds girls doing cute things shows as skeevy. However he respects my choice because it's something I enjoy and doesn't admonish me for liking said thing.

This is whats happening. People whom disagree with a persons likes and are trying to shame/change him from doing so.

You don't have to defend anything about your hobbies with the "moral litmus test". If you're into sexualized drawings of what looks like young children then good for you. However it's disingenuous, and moving goalposts, to then try and claim others are unfairly judging you, or a group of people have biased views, when the vast majority of people of any location would find such material questionable.

If you, or the author, don't care about those opinions then good for you. I again doubt his sincerity of that argument given his actions since.

Blanchimont wrote:

That argument kind of fails on specificity as ANY outlier fetish is likely to produce that kind of reaction. For example, pick 10 random strangers who also aren't into anime or manga, or hell, just choose the same 10 people as above, and show them each a handful of some of the riskier BL works. I wouldn't be surprised if the reaction be likely the same as what you just described...

You're right it would, what's your point? People into BDSM claiming these same sort of moral indignation arguments would be just as fallible as those into the sexualized loli art. If you're into some far outlier sexual fetish it is simply unreasonable to expect others, of any location, to not find it gross or off putting. I'm also not saying those people should not be allowed to enjoy those fetishes. You do you as they say. However, claiming moral indignation and "western values", or anything of the sort, to try and rally against when people find those fetishes off putting is just disingenuous. Enjoy your hobby, enjoy your kink, but be realistic about what it is and what most people would think. Don't try and feign surprise over it.

I really have to shake my head that I have to point this part out, but there is also a VAST difference between any sort of fetish or kink that involves an ADULT, and that which involves a CHILD (or what appears to be a child to any reasonable person). They are not the same at all. Full stop. I don't see how that concept is so hard to understand. You're taking an already niche hobby (anime and manga), throwing on a sexual fetish outlier (sexualized manga or anime art), and then throwing yet an even more niche outlier (sexualized children -loli) on top of it. Trying to claim unfair moral and societal acceptance in that context is simply beyond unreasonable to any extent. Thinking that any normal person, in any geographical location, would not find such material (the sexualized loli material to be specific) questionable in the least is just ridiculous. Enjoy the material if you want, knock yourselves out. Stop with the smokescreen moral tirades claiming you (generalized sense), or your hobby, are being unfairly marginalized somehow, just so you can avoid having to admit aloud "i like sexualized drawings and art of what looks like underage children".
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

I'm not debating that nor even disagreeing with it. I actually would agree. However, that is comparing apples to oranges with my point. My point was specific in regards to people who like to complain about other people's, or country's, moral intervening as a way to ignore that their very niche sub-genre in a hobby would be found gross, or at least uncomfortable, by the vast majority of people regardless of their geographical location. That's it. I find that people that make those sorts of specific arguments are just blowing out a smokescreen to not have to admit they actually like that sort of artwork personally. It's much easier to go on the moral tirade or claim "western morals" or "she's really 1000 years old" rather than say "i like sexualized drawings of what appears to be little children".

Gotcha, you weren't denying the existance of a potential bias, you were making an entirely different argument. I agree 100%, thank you for clarifying.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:24 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Oh, so your actual argument was using a book to justify an aversion to child prostitution as Puritanical. Well, that changes things then.

I don't remember claiming anything as puritanical, as far I'm concerned I have no beef with people no matter how strict moral guidelines they adhere to the media they consume. Only when they start, on unproven grounds, to use that as a weapon against those that do not adhere to those same rules do I have an issue.

And BL aren't only books, they're also magazines, games, novels, or simply pieces of artwork, and the lolicon genre likewise isn't limited to the sleazier magazines out there. Both are artworks and I don't discriminate or want ill against either one, though because of my tastes I can only enjoy the latter.

Psycho 101 wrote:
Stop with the smokescreen moral tirades claiming you (generalized sense), or your hobby, are being unfairly marginalized somehow, just so you can avoid having to admit aloud "i like sexualized drawings and art of what looks like underage children".

I have never denied I indeed do like that kind of material(not the hardcore stuff though), so at least in my case that's an unfair accusation to make...
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:18 pm Reply with quote
This might be me overthinking but if this keeps going on with the accusations or calling others the p-word then this is going to make a lot of artists not want to have their works licenses. I think that Ken Akamatsu is right about how they might have to do something so they can be given the artistic freedom. Maybe make a new site or something. Just a group or people that are fine with this. I know pixiv is known for this but maybe something more private? I believe in fiction =/= reality and this artistic freedom so it makes me wonder the limit of what people like and can draw.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

Psycho 101 wrote:
Stop with the smokescreen moral tirades claiming you (generalized sense), or your hobby, are being unfairly marginalized somehow, just so you can avoid having to admit aloud "i like sexualized drawings and art of what looks like underage children".

I have never denied I indeed do like that kind of material(not the hardcore stuff though), so at least in my case that's an unfair accusation to make...

I never said that you personally did or didn't. My comment was a generalized "you" as I said in the post. I purposefully said "(generalized sense)" in parenthesis to make clear I was not specifically targeting you, but rather making my statement in a generalized sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5