• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll Surpasses 3 Million Subscribers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:09 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Ideally this would make me happy, sadly that would be in a world where this money goes towards improving their services, paying their employees more and getting more titles. We all know that the more money CR get, the more they will put into their terrible original titles.

Which originals are you talking about? If you're talking about the ones directly co-funded by them it's a different story so far.

And they can still get more of these titles.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:10 am Reply with quote
Congrats to Crunchyroll! As luck would have it, I became an anime fan only about a year after they went legit so it's been nice to watch them grow. I have spent many pleasurable hours accessing their site.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:46 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
We all know that the more money CR get, the more they will put into their terrible original titles.

This is more a matter of opinion. Tower of God and God of High School seem to have done well with viewers. These originals are not a bad thing, but fixings issues/paying better should be more of a priority than investing further.
Otaku-sempai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:48 am Reply with quote
PonSquared wrote:
Otaku-sempai wrote:
Great! Now if only the interface would consistently work properly for me on Roku.

THIS!

CR on Roku just sucks to high heaven. It never works right so many issues!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one having this problem.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:56 am Reply with quote
I can attest to the video playing issues. I at times have to switch between browsers for the page to work.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:00 am Reply with quote
I have seldomly encountered problems using Crunchyroll. I've been a subscriber for many years. It wouldn't surprise me if I've been paying them for 10 years now...
Wait I checked it just now. It's been 9 years. First transaction January 2011. Member since 2006 (then illegal site).

.... that's 14 years of membership I'm oldddd

Ok only 31 but people told me today I look like I'm 25 - 26

Yay
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:43 am Reply with quote
I never knew Crunchyroll was such an evil organization. I have been paying their annual subscription since 2012 and rarely have encountered issues with the service.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I would love a BD release of Planet With but I think fans just have to accept it probably didn't do well in streaming numbers. It was an anime original and a mecha show that's not part of an established franchise and those are always hard sales.

Popular or not Sentai or Discotek would release it if they had the license. Crunchyroll does not seem very interested in doing disc releases. A Place Further than the Universe was one of the most beloved shows from 2018, and there is not physical release 2.5 years later.
MysticGon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:11 am Reply with quote
They have made a few mistakes along the way but I don't think it's an overstatement to say Crunchyroll has brought about the biggest change in the industry in the last decade. American companies' rekindled interest in anime and even Japanese companies taking notice in international audiences can all be attributed to them. Some companies do it better now and they still primarily focus on streaming and subs but without them the industry might have looked a lot different today.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:21 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

Kougeru wrote:
Have to subscribe to everything to watch even 50% of shows.
90% of the Winter '20 season was on just two services, CR and Funimation. Please stop spreading misinformation.

Can you explain why you want to defend highly anti-competitive exclusivity on streaming platforms?
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:22 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I never knew Crunchyroll was such an evil organization. I have been paying their annual subscription since 2012 and rarely have encountered issues with the service.

I wouldn't say "evil" but there HAVE been some notable changes and issues when they got new ownership. Lots of people have brought up the fact that their offshore tech labor to Moldova was when some of these issues have started, and many tech problems don't get addressed or just take a long time to fix. They used to work great for me too, but it depends WHAT you use to watch them on. Use apps? Yeah, it's not going to be as smooth if you just use PC.

If you have ever used their manga app, you would see that it's ridden with bugs since an update from TWO years ago, which broke the favorites section... The bookmark/notification option never worked for me when I started using it. Some series are still missing pages or even complete chapters. Email them for support and you just get a PR answer. Don't bother with their forums, it's full of bots, only a couple mods, and they have really hidden it off their main page so just sort of forget about it, despite pages and pages of people with tech issues that never get get addressed (unless one of the 2 mods show up to help, but no actual tech support workers...)

The queue listing was also "changed" several months back, which was a change that NO ONE liked, and despite the fact that they said that "it will be fixed and more customization soon", there has been no news.

The fact that they are one of many anime/game companies that undervalue and underpay freelance translators is also no good.

So maybe you didn't come across or care about some of these issues, but when they boast on these numbers and milestones, surely they can try and listen to their consumers and try and make this better so that MORE people may subscribe in the future. Some people have walked away from the broken system and that's no good, where it did not have to be that way :/
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I am happy about the increase in legal streaming and personally have little issues with their desktop site and mobile app which are the only ones I use (or maybe I am just happy by comparison given their site consistently gives me basic functionality, which Funi's does not), but I cannot celebrate this until I learn that they are paying their translators higher than literal poverty wages. These people are the REASON your site is so popular, pay them for their time.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Lady Multi wrote:
There was an Asian Drama streaming site you could sub to to watch shows and they just shut down without warning cutting all access off. And Crunchyroll has already done the same; they used to have an Asian Drama section to their website and just shut it down without warning. Oh, but you can use our sister-site and pay us TWICE!
... Halfway through that show? Boop! Gone. Why? Eh, we're going a different direction right now....now pay us twice for the same service.

Drama Fever was bought and shut down by AT&T, with the only similarity being that it's the same parent company as CR. CR still has their live-action content (just harder to search for without the separate section), but they have (sadly) stopped this endeavor. No idea what this sister site you are referring to is, though.

They were going to partner with Soompi to make SoompTV when they ""lost"" their licences to ALL the Asian dramas (miraculously at the exact same time) They allowed all their liscensed to expire so they could put them on another site that never worked and never took off. They basically said "F*** you." to a portion of their audience and what their audience had paid for, as (at that time) they had different subscription tiers..one for the anime, one for everything

They had already, also, closed down their entire manga site at this point that people were also paying for access to.

From an old forum post:
"""You can still watch them through Crunchyroll's sister site, SoompiTV. SoompiTV is the new home for these titles and where you can continue to feed your K-Drama addiction, ""
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I've been on Crunchyroll since 2006 and I remember when it first went legal that was when I started giving them money been a paying member ever since!

I have noticed that when I am on my laptop the video player stops buffering or randomly starts the stream over again and I have to click to the point where I was at in the time code.

Congrats to CR on making 3 million subs I hope for some more co productions in the future cause I'm really looking forward to the Spider anime even though I'm scared of spiders lol. xD But this one is a cute spider so its okay
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:

Drama Fever was bought and shut down by AT&T, with the only similarity being that it's the same parent company as CR. CR still has their live-action content (just harder to search for without the separate section), but they have (sadly) stopped this endeavor. No idea what this sister site you are referring to is, though.

They were going to partner with Soompi to make SoompTV when they ""lost"" their licences to ALL the Asian dramas (miraculously at the exact same time) They allowed all their liscensed to expire so they could put them on another site that never worked and never took off. They basically said "F*** you." to a portion of their audience and what their audience had paid for, as (at that time) they had different subscription tiers..one for the anime, one for everything

They had already, also, closed down their entire manga site at this point that people were also paying for access to.

From an old forum post:
"""You can still watch them through Crunchyroll's sister site, SoompiTV. SoompiTV is the new home for these titles and where you can continue to feed your K-Drama addiction, ""

I feel like I had briefly heard about SoompiTV but had no idea it was affiliated with CR. Didn't realize there hasn't been much going on there for 5 years, with trying to look it up.

As for the manga comment, absorbing the manga portion into the site was good since there wasn't the double-cost of having it, but they have set the priorities to rock-bottom and it is SUCH a shame. They keep adding in new series every now and then with their partnership with Kodansha, but most of the new stuff are freebie MiHoYo manhua. There is some legit good full series that can be found here, but since they don't do much with their manga section, leave it broken, and even hid it on their main page about a week ago (yet reformatted and then brought it back), it's hard to recommend series to CR subscribers since most people tell me that the app just crashes all the time (fortunately, THIS issue that went on for months was fixed on most apps....) and they just refuse to use it because of how poorly managed it is...
Mokkorichan112

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I will buy a subscription when they stop treating Poland as a third world country.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3