• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Fan Couple Names Their Son After Black Clover's Asta

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:02 pm Reply with quote
It's just a name, why make such bad assumptions of the parents? Seriously, they just like the Anime, that's all.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Honestly guys, this name isn’t that bad compared to what else is out there.
OH&S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:13 am Reply with quote
I remember a time when a couple were barred from giving their child their chosen name as it broke some rules regarding naming. The name they wanted to give their child:

"L-a" pronounced Ladasha. Rolling Eyes
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:28 am Reply with quote
OH&S wrote:
I remember a time when a couple were barred from giving their child their chosen name as it broke some rules regarding naming. The name they wanted to give their child:

Oh lord! Thats just horrible! Confused
PonSquared

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:32 am Reply with quote
I am not sure what the issue is here?

We basically named our son after the main character Zettai Kareshi, Naito. My wife wanted someone who was strong and kind and "Naito" was perfect. And, I must say Naito has some pretty mainly kanji too: 騎士。

Our son loves his name, and he knows where we got it from, and why we picked it. I can't wait till he's old enough to watch Ultimate Boyfriend with him. It will be a blast! He's nearly 11 years old now he is a super popular kid in school. No one has ever made fun of his name, and yeah he'd tell us.

Also I guess I should mention my wife is Japanese (born and raised.) Everyone on her side of the family loves it as well.

So, how about ease off on the whole issue with the kids name. Teach in school some time and see how crazy and wonderful all the names are. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Asta.

EDIT: We gave out kid an anime/manga name 11 years ago. Where was our/his ANN article?!?!

Last edited by PonSquared on Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:39 am Reply with quote
Welp, that kid's gonna get bullied. I can smell a lot of regrets in the future.
LuluTheOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:00 am Reply with quote
All the negativity about the parents seems a bit harsh.

As far as Anime names go anyway; I don't think Asta is that bad... If they had chosen something like "Goku" or "Naruto" then it would be hard for a lot of people not to associate it with the Anime those name come from. But Black Clover while definitely recognizable, is not as popular as those two, so it's not like everyone who heard the name would be like "Ew, you're named after an Anime character".

Asta by itself doesn't sound like too weird of a name either, as people have pointed out, there are languages where it could be a real name.

Plus, the parents have a genuine story about why they chose the name, beyond "we liked the Anime". I think some people make too big a deal out of this stuff...

Last edited by LuluTheOtaku on Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:01 am Reply with quote
I’m a big believer that children shouldn’t be billboards for their parents fandoms, and I feel really bad for all the kids named “Khaleesi” out there (especially after the GoT finale, ugh). But as other posters have pointed out, “Asta” isn’t that bad for a fandom name—it’s not a Japanese name given to a kid without Japanese roots, it’s not from a fictional language, and it’s not from a property so popular that everyone will make the connection right away (nothing wrong with naming a kid “Hermione,” but if you’re not British everyone will think you’re a huge Potter fan). It’s relatively easy to spell and pronounce. So, not bad. And if the kid hates it, he can go by a nickname and even change it legally as an adult.
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:30 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I’m a big believer that children shouldn’t be billboards for their parents fandoms, and I feel really bad for all the kids named “Khaleesi” out there (especially after the GoT finale, ugh).

Yeah, it seems like a real risky game naming your kid after a property that's not even finished yet.
siromkun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:48 am Reply with quote
PonSquared wrote:

EDIT: We gave out kid an anime/manga name 11 years ago. Where was our/his ANN article?!?!

Basically that's what it is all about. Parents get their 15 minutes of fame, and children are left to deal with consequences
Fenrin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:04 am Reply with quote
OH&S wrote:

Pretty sure "Ladasha" was debunked as an urban legend making fun of African American names...
PonSquared

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:05 am Reply with quote
siromkun wrote:
PonSquared wrote:

Basically that's what it is all about. Parents get their 15 minutes of fame, and children are left to deal with consequences

Considering the name's of the students in my classes over the past 11 years, Astra really isn't going to stand out. This is much to do about nothing.

Also, (This is in general and not directed at you, Sir. Omkun,) why is any deviation from Jewish/Christian names considered strange? I thought we were past that by now? Can't we just be named what we are named and be okay with it? Aren't there more important things to worry about than this?

No one in my school seems to care what kids are named anymore except for a few cases of some truly bizarre names. The point is, be named whatever you are named. If you are called it growing-up, 99% of the time you will think it is normal and be perfectly happy with it.
OH&S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:24 am Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
OH&S wrote:

Pretty sure "Ladasha" was debunked as an urban legend making fun of African American names...

Are you implying that talkback radio lied to me!? /s

Thanks for the correction.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:25 am Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
Plus the fact that Asta means Love in Japanese....

Source? Because I'm pretty sure it doesn't.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:35 am Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
Plus the fact that Asta means Love in Japanese....

Source? Because I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Without having to put outside URLs here (which IDK if it is allowed or not)...

Go to Google and type: What does Asta mean in Japanese

When you do that you should get the top part with some translations that lead to Love. There should be a Link taking you to a website called Stock Kanji.

Quote:
That is the name Asta (when pronounced ahs-tah) in Japanese katakana is アスタ with the romaji asuta. ... The name Asta means "Love" which in kanji is 愛 which is read ai.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4