• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Removes 77 Sentai Filmworks Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eivion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:08 pm Reply with quote
This is a shame to see. Some of these like Bodacious Space Pirates, Humanity Has Declined, & Shirobako are legitimately fantastic series. There were a fair share of others that were at least solid if not straight up good as well.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Whis-pur wrote:
Makes sense this would happen after their massive sale where DVDs were $3-6 a piece.

Their DVDs are super cheap every sale because they are trying to clear out their inventory. Sentai stopped producing new DVDs a while ago and only releases blurays now. I’ve seen a few movies as low as $1.99.

Also, a few of these titles Sentai no longer has streaming, or any rights to. Tsuritama for instance reverted back to Aniplex a while ago. Phi-Brain is another one. Also, if you look some of these titles up, CR lists someone else as their publisher. It appears that the majority of the shows they have Sentai listed as publisher are remaining on CR.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Welp, time to buy some BD if I ever want to see FlipFlappers and a couple of others again. Like many, most of these I never had interest in so no great loss...
Swissman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:36 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Never_Know_Best wrote:
Sentai has definitely fallen into the old ADV habit of lukewarm license glut. Not that I’m really complaining; occasionally they’ll pick up something neat like Jinrui or Patlabor, even though many titles like them aren’t especially popular.
It seems likely that they can not get most of the good stuff. Once other companies like Funimation have swept in and taken all the (expected to be)good shows, there is not much left of note. So unless it is a sleeper hit they get by chance or get lucky with Amazon Video, they would have never gotten Made in Abyss otherwise, they are out of luck.

Well, I don't know what you consider to be "good stuff". I just recently got into buying anime blurays from the states and I happened to notice that many shows I like are either from Sentai, like cute & well done slice of life shows (think of Non Non Biyori) or shows which definitely appeal to a certain niche (like Flip Flappers), or from Discotek. As for all releases from funimation, I can't order directly from their website here in Switzerland (only via Rightstuf), so I can't really say anything about its catalogue. I have very low interest in hyped shounen series like Attack on Titan, Haikyû or whatever has been popular with the masses over the last 1-2 decades, and when it comes to high quality movies such as those from Ghibli, Kyoto Animation or smaller studios (such as Colorido), they are easily avaiable from other publishers here in Europe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
stefand

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:56 am Reply with quote
[quote="DRosencraft"]
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Even though I can't say I'm particularly surprised to see when shows leave streaming platforms, and there are many reasons it has to happen at one point or another, I can still remember when streaming was being sold as an alternative to physical ownership.

Yes, and as DVDs also get out of prent quite often, this is the reason, why, despite streaming, my shelf is overstuffed with DVDs i never watched and maybe never will watch. Some you just buy because this might be the last chance to.

Even worse, at some point you come to watch a series just because it might expire soon.

In fact there are many fantastic series i really should re-watch. Instead i watch series, that are not so bad, just because they are on my backlist and i might regret, if they disappear without being watched at all Sad.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:10 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I guess I'm the only one who really liked Bodacious Space Pirates.

Ahem.

Heh, I was wondering if you'd show up to refute that. Very Happy

I bought that show on Bluray. Including the mildly disappointing movie, but... yeah, great fun show.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:53 am Reply with quote
I only overflew the list in the article but the "decent" Broken Blade and Un-Go are the closest thing to quality here. What a worthless catalog!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:26 am Reply with quote
None of the Sentai titles that I've bought on Bluray in the past year (off the top of my head: Girls' Last Tour, Princess Principal, Revue Starlight, O Maidens In Your Savage Season, the Votoms OVAs, and the new release of Maria-sama ga Miteru) seem to be on this list, so I can't really say how "representative" it is of their current catalogue.

Out of the ones that are here:

Action Heroine Cheer Fruits made my Top 10 Anime of the 2010s list when I compiled it at the end of last year. Obviously, I love Bodacious Space Pirates, even though the movie isn't anywhere near as good as the series (par for the course with a Satō anime). Flip Flappers is also a fantastic show, although it probably gets a bit too much praise considering how much it imitates other, better works.

Humanity Has Declined is a great light novel adaptation that seems to have fallen off the radar in recent years. Kinmoza and Yuyushiki are two of my favorite "cute girls doing cute things" shows. AKB0048 is a show I enjoyed even though I'm the first to admit that it isn't very good.

I remember liking Shirobako, Girlish Number, and Tribe Cool Crew back when they were airing. I never picked any of them up on Bluray, though.

Overall, some real standouts.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:49 am Reply with quote
So I didn't go through the entire thread, so this might've been answered already

CR had multi-language subs for (I assume) a lot of these. I went very quickly to Hidive and apparently they only have english subtitles? Would the other subtitles just... get lost in licensing hell like this?
Morning Blue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, there goes my chance of watching Shirobako outside of buying it.

I'm tired of Sentai Filmworks grabbing so many shows and taking them away from other, more accessible places. I don't and will not get HIDIVE. Ever.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Morning Blue wrote:
Well, there goes my chance of watching Shirobako outside of buying it.

I'm tired of Sentai Filmworks grabbing so many shows and taking them away from other, more accessible places. I don't and will not get HIDIVE. Ever.

As others have pointed out, several of these shows likely have nothing to do with Sentai. A few are no longer licensed by them, including ones like Tsuritama that reverted back to their original rights holders some time ago. Most the shows on CR that list Sentai as the publisher are staying put for now.
Melicans

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Well this at least gave me the push to finally watch the last three episodes of Gourmet Girl Graffiti. Some of these I've wanted to watch for a long time but never got around to (Shirobako). Others I bought but still haven't seen so at least I can still enjoy them (Humanity has Declined). I'm glad that I did pick up some when I did, like Engaged to the Unidentified.

At least One Week Friends is on Netflix.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:09 am Reply with quote
So I own 16 of these titles and I have personally enjoyed about half of this list. It is a major shame to see these titles go. Luckily, a lot of these titles are available on other streaming services but I wish Crunchyroll would have fought to keep some of these.
kae kurono

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:27 am Reply with quote
Eigengrau wrote:
Never_Know_Best wrote:
Sentai has definitely fallen into the old ADV habit of lukewarm license glut. Not that I’m really complaining; occasionally they’ll pick up something neat like Jinrui or Patlabor, even though many titles like them aren’t especially popular.

Looking at that list, I'd say one point is that Sentai no longer has a clear identity, in contrast to ADVision which still had an "edgy" feel from back in the nineties (remember their "totally not kids stuff" trailers?). Funimation is clearly the label if you're looking for the gig shonen series or the popular fan favorites like KyoAni. Discotek is your prestige/preservation label, in the style of something ike Criterion or Arrow Video. RightStuf are the Gundam guys. Ghibli or other major movies go to the major labels. Sentai by comparison seem like a grabbag of anything else.
On the other hand, again looking at that list, Sentai is the best representation of what the current anime landscape looks like, a couple of good title like Shirobako, Flip Flappers or Humanity Has Declined in a glut of mediocre shows. Most of the titles on that list are probably not that bad, a couple of them might even have built up a following 20 years ago, when they weren't constantly crowded out of the market. Somewhere in that list is probably a show that would have been a great personal favorite of mine, but I will never get to watch.

Man you have no idea how much you just encapsulated & summarized the entire licensing industry for anime with that comment. Pretty much explains why i don't own that many blu rays by Sentai & Funimation i'm not really that target audience but i do have a lot of anime by discotek & right stuf.
kae kurono

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:51 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I only overflew the list in the article but the "decent" Broken Blade and Un-Go are the closest thing to quality here. What a worthless catalog!

I have yet to see much of anything on this list myself and nothing on it interest me except broken blade (finished it days ago & i loved it) but i wouldn't call everything on the list worthless just not mine or your cup of tea.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7