• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shonen Jump Teases One Piece Manga is Headed Toward 'Upcoming Final Arc'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#Satou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:44 pm Reply with quote
So the Project "Shueisha: Please Oda-sensei use a tablet and draw 20 years more is more easy..."
Since Kishimoto decide to stop drawing weekly for Jump and Oda lose hope waiting for his rival to comeback and showing that less motivation in his manga this is the correct answer, better to end soon that in a very worse state many many years later.
Seems like the Digitalization helps to get more manga but not too much of high quality manga like old days, lucky enough youngsters don't care too much about that but more about companies to heavily spend money in marketing certain manga to become the next big thing just like with Atack of titan and kimetsu no yaiba.
gold12

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:00 pm Reply with quote
A narrative arc of Onepiece lasts on average three / four years so considering this Onepiece will not end before 3/4 years.

There are several manga that never end, is that I stopped following because they are too long. Rolling Eyes
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:58 pm Reply with quote
One Piece is already heading towards the direction of Bleach. Either Oda is tired of it or his publishers are forcing him to wrap it up or a conflict of both parties. There is so, so much left to be resolved but it will evidently be swept aside under the rush hour. For instance, there was a lot of buildup with Kurozumi Orochi and spoiler[Kanjuro] and suddenly spoiler[they’re dead in the biggest anticlimax ever] which makes you wonder what all the backstory was for. It’s like Dressrosa.

The series was too ambitious for a publisher notorious for pulling the rug on long runners. Their series which end publication quickly by comparison end up favorably.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:19 pm Reply with quote
If this is true: The anime needs to go on break before the final arc and come back with One Piece: Final Arc... Part 1. The manga is at 986 and the anime has adapted up to 939. The COVID minibreak for the anime basically did nothing. They can barely adapt a full chapter. They adapt 3-4 pages in a chapter then the episode ends. Remember when One Piece started and they were adapting 2-4 chapters in 1 episode? Things were great back then. For me, the anime got boring after the timeskip because nothing is really happening compared to the earlier arcs which felt like so many things were happening. If Toei cared about quality then they'd do this, but they need their 5.0 or high weekly ratings. Much rather the anime end amazing than boring.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:44 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
One Piece is already heading towards the direction of Bleach. Either Oda is tired of it or his publishers are forcing him to wrap it up or a conflict of both parties. There is so, so much left to be resolved but it will evidently be swept aside under the rush hour. For instance, there was a lot of buildup with Kurozumi Orochi and spoiler[Kanjuro] and suddenly spoiler[they’re dead in the biggest anticlimax ever] which makes you wonder what all the backstory was for. It’s like Dressrosa.

The series was too ambitious for a publisher notorious for pulling the rug on long runners. Their series which end publication quickly by comparison end up favorably.

I highly doubt Oda is being forced to rush this by the higher ups. One Piece is their best-selling property and still is, they have no reason to force the man to end it early when its still making them money.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Oda said in 2018 in this interview that One Piece was 80% done. Six years earlier, he had said it was 60% done. If we go by that metric, then it gets about 3% closer to the end each year, which means it is currently 86% done. At this rate, One Piece will end in early 2025, and Shonen Jump and Toei will go bankrupt the next day.

(Of course, none of this should be taken seriously because Oda tends to massively underestimate how long it takes to complete a storyline. When he began One Piece in 1997, his plan was for it to last only five years!)

cookiemanstah wrote:
One Piece is already heading towards the direction of Bleach. Either Oda is tired of it or his publishers are forcing him to wrap it up or a conflict of both parties.

Yeah, the Bleach comparison doesn't make any sense. Bleach was pushed toward its conclusion because its popularity plummeted, its collected volumes were no longer selling well, and the anime had been cancelled. One Piece doesn't have any of those problems. Its anime is one of the highest-rated in Japan, it still sells tons of merchandise and in 2019 it was the second best-selling manga in the world (and the #1 series, Demon Slayer, has since ended.) I'm certain that Oda's bosses would be thrilled if One Piece went on for decades longer. Whenever it ends, it will be because Oda decided it was time.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:13 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I've not been a huge fan of the Wano arc, spoiler[ Kiado has been a massive disappointment as a villain and the Oden flashback was horrible, IMO. ]

That being said, I doubt One Piece is ending any time soon. Wano still has too many lose ends and on top of that we still have dozens of other plots that have yet to be resolved.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
If this is true: The anime needs to go on break before the final arc and come back with One Piece: Final Arc... Part 1. The manga is at 986 and the anime has adapted up to 939. The COVID minibreak for the anime basically did nothing. They can barely adapt a full chapter. They adapt 3-4 pages in a chapter then the episode ends. Remember when One Piece started and they were adapting 2-4 chapters in 1 episode? Things were great back then. For me, the anime got boring after the timeskip because nothing is really happening compared to the earlier arcs which felt like so many things were happening. If Toei cared about quality then they'd do this, but they need their 5.0 or high weekly ratings. Much rather the anime end amazing than boring.

Since the showrunners changed at the start of the Wano Arc, the anime has been firing on all cylinders. The artstyle is great, the animation has noticeably improved (Zoro's fight in the last couple of episodes was gorgeous), and the series has so much more energy than it has in a very long time.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Entering final arc doesn't mean it can't last 5 years Anime hyper
JeffreySweeney

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Yeah, the Bleach comparison doesn't make any sense. Bleach was pushed toward its conclusion because its popularity plummeted, its collected volumes were no longer selling well, and the anime had been cancelled. One Piece doesn't have any of those problems. Its anime is one of the highest-rated in Japan, it still sells tons of merchandise and in 2019 it was the second best-selling manga in the world (and the #1 series, Demon Slayer, has since ended.) I'm certain that Oda's bosses would be thrilled if One Piece went on for decades longer. Whenever it ends, it will be because Oda decided it was time.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Kubo Tite himself stated that he had to wrap up the Bleach manga because he kept getting ill while working on it and needed to take care of his health. Take that with a grain of salt mind you. I just don't see how One Piece can end so soon. Elbaf has been hardly explored and has been foreshadowed quite a bit. Other bits that should eventually happen is the Blackbeard Pirates Vs The Red Hair Pirates, some major reveals involving the World Government and Celestial Dragons, the trip to Laugh Tale, reveals involving the Void Century, the Ancient Weapons, the Will of D, and Joy Boy, the World War that's been hyped up, Zoro Vs Mihawk, Luffy Vs Sakazuki, and Luffy Vs Blackbeard. I'm sure there's other stuff I'm forgetting to mention as well. All of that cannot be wrapped up in this supposed "upcoming final arc" without having to forego and cut content that was already previously foreshadowed.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:43 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

Why would Shueisha force Oda to end One Piece? It there number one series of all time, the only way it end is if Oda want it to end.
Anyway, about the spoiler. It been two chapters since that happen, I pretty sure the build up isn't wasted
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Let’s not forget that arcs in One Piece last for years. If Oda wants to end One Piece in a few years he can absolutely do it!
Zagnaphein

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:34 am Reply with quote
The 7 stages of grief
Shock and denial. This is a state of disbelief and numbed feelings.
Pain and guilt. ...
Anger and bargaining. ...
Depression. ...
The upward turn. ...
Reconstruction and working through. ...
Acceptance and hope.

Most of you are in the 1st stage.. i can understand as you have to understand that at some point ODA wants/has to end the series and not overstay it's welcome...

Some others are in the 3rd step..
Matches Malone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:53 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
One Piece is already heading towards the direction of Bleach. Either Oda is tired of it or his publishers are forcing him to wrap it up or a conflict of both parties.

This couldn't be further form the truth. One Piece is by far the biggest IP in Japan, while Bleach completely lost all its popularity and sales after Izen was imprisoned. There's simply no way that anyone is forcing him to end things, and if anything they're probably begging him to drag it out. When it comes to Oda, he's been giving percentages on how completed the story is for years, and calculations generally put it at ending in 4-5 years, so this has been planned for a very long time.

When it comes to Bleach, despite fan speculation and "reports", we still don't know the full story of what went on with its final arc, especially with Kubo saying he ended it the way he wanted to. If the arc is resented as is within the upcoming anime, then we'll know all the talk of him being rushed was false.
-SP-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:16 am Reply with quote
Noooo tell me it's a lie
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3