• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Animation TV Ranking, August 3-9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:31 am Reply with quote
Not related but invloves anime. Is anyone seeing on Twitter that Kiss@nime and Kissm@nga are dead due to Japan's new very strict copyright law? So apparently JP's ultra strict copyright law applies not just in Japan but outside Japan. Am I the only one who thinks that strict copyright law may do more harm than good?[/i]
hopefully lost

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:42 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Not related but invloves anime. Is anyone seeing on Twitter that Kiss@nime and Kissm@nga are dead due to Japan's new very strict copyright law? So apparently JP's ultra strict copyright law applies not just in Japan but outside Japan. Am I the only one who thinks that strict copyright law may do more harm than good?[/i]

While I may not give you all of the validation that you requested, I do agree with the notion that the newly passed copyright law is bad. Honestly, I'd rather see copyright gone completely, that does not mean however that I care about what happened to a site as despicable as Kiss. The owners are way worse than CR in the way they treat their staff, while the quality of the service gets sacrificed for the sake of raking in more profit.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:53 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Is anyone seeing on Twitter that Kiss@nime and Kissm@nga are dead due to Japan's new very strict copyright law?

I'm more shocked people would use those sites than the other way. But no real loss.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:04 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:
Is anyone seeing on Twitter that Kiss@nime and Kissm@nga are dead due to Japan's new very strict copyright law?

I'm more shocked people would use those sites than the other way. But no real loss.

If all pirated anime/manga sites shut down, that means access to watch animes and reading mangas will be more harder and inaccessible. Even legal sites(both anime and manga) aren't helpful because most animes (and mangas) in many countries(excluded the US) are region locked, which it makes watching animes reading mangas legally harder. And that's why I worry about JP's strict copyright laws.

And about mangas, since MangaPlus exict but there no legal manga sites to read non-WSJ mangas like Attack on Titan, One Punch Man, Detective Conan, Komi-San Can't Communicate, Teasing Master Takagi-san.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:52 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:

If all pirated anime/manga sites shut down, that means access to watch animes and reading mangas will be more harder and inaccessible. Even legal sites(both anime and manga) aren't helpful because most animes (and mangas) in many countries(excluded the US) are region locked, which it makes watching animes reading mangas legally harder. And that's why I worry about JP's strict copyright laws.

And about mangas, since MangaPlus exict but there no legal manga sites to read non-WSJ mangas like Attack on Titan, One Punch Man, Detective Conan, Komi-San Can't Communicate, Teasing Master Takagi-san.

I for one now have to figure out where to read Kengan Omega, Ragna Crimson, & Shumatsu no Walkure because neither title is localized by any company. Indeed the loss of these sites means more difficulty in reading the obscure series.
993eyepatch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:13 am Reply with quote
Working conditions for animators in Japan is quite horrible. Will these strict policies, that somewhat prevent piracy of the content, help generate more revenue for the industry, and will the animators benefit from this?
hopefully lost

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:46 am Reply with quote
993eyepatch wrote:
Working conditions for animators in Japan is quite horrible. Will these strict policies, that somewhat prevent piracy of the content, help generate more revenue for the industry, and will the animators benefit from this?

Not at all, because they don't hold the rights to their own works. The actual owners make money by underpaying them and the reason they're capable of doing that is precisely because copyright law allows them to treat the work like their private property and appropriate the labor of the artists. Studios are like any other worker, they're paid to make the commodity and then the employer takes the remaining money generated from the sales.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1