• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Lost JoJo's Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Mango

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:54 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
YareYareDaZe wrote:
I was actually able to find it in my cache :

[snip]

TLDR : Terrible movie, pointlessly long, bad quality all around, you missed nothing !

Thanks for the big explanation of your experience with this movie! Nice to see some thoughts from someone who had seen it at the time - especially since no one can watch it anymore.

Please take it with a grain of salt. As someone who has read a ton of original blog posts by those who saw the movie and researched it for over a year not even the most negative of reviews has mentioned a musical number or anything like dio singing being featured in the movie. Either this person has not seen it or is terribly mistaken, and either way I don't think having maybe possibly having seen it once long ago is enough to be a judge on it and say "it's terrible, stop looking for it." I dunno, I just wish it was available to see so that people could come to their own conclusions rather than just trusting the vague legends of it being maybe terrible.
PsychoPearl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't care how terrible it might've been. I just want the opportunity to see it. I'm just really curious.
YareYareDaZe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Red Mango, I did say my memory was quite fuzzy, I might be entirely wrong about that scene. What I do remember for sure is that among all that non-sense, there was one scene that made me laugh out loud, as I couldn't believe they had reached a low bar even for the movie. As I didn't understand much of what was said in it, I believe it had to be something so stupid that even someone who had little to no understanding of Japanese but who knew the source material could spot easy.

I think that scene (whatever it was) could be worth seeing... possibly for fodder for a new Jojo meme =p

My only other regret (except for seeing the movie itself) is that I didn't buy the ticket in advance so I couldn't get the usual anime goodie that come with those preorders. Oh well !
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Dio's motives for his venomous treatment of Jonathan are never explored, his inner monologues, along with key early scenes between Dio and Jonathan that add a necessary context to their relationship, have been completely removed.

If we're being fair Dio's treatment of Johnathan was never explained even in the source. Dio's just an envious, malicious asshole to a guy whose done nothing to him which gets dumber when we get the implication that Dio had empathy when his mother was still alive (which was beaten out of him by his father). Whenever I hear people refer to JoJo having great villains all I can't think of is "Where"?

Quote:
Though crafted to be a feature-length prequel to the OVAs, the filmmakers reportedly altered a considerable amount of fundamental material from the original manga, with even less apparent regard for the existing anime.

This very thing is why I couldn't get into the OVAs I remembered watching it and thinking to myself "did I watch out of order" only to find out the OVA's cut out a number of parts. And of course the proper anime adaptation came out and everything was better off.

YareYareDaZe wrote:

I totally understand why the mangaka would want this stain on his legacy to be erased and forgotten by all.

Seems kinda harsh for the guy the same guy that gave us Stone Ocean.

Red Mango wrote:
Please take it with a grain of salt. As someone who has read a ton of original blog posts by those who saw the movie and researched it for over a year not even the most negative of reviews has mentioned a musical number or anything like dio singing being featured in the movie. Either this person has not seen it or is terribly mistaken,

Well they did say their memory was hazy especially regarding the part you're mentioning.
nDroae

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Hotblack_desiato wrote:
If you're going to abbreviate it and not do the JJBA thing, it's JoJo, not JoJo's. "JoJo's" on its own sounds like someone talking about "animes"--there's no hard rule from on high, true, but it just sounds crap.

IIRC, "Jojo's" is the commonly accepted abbreviation among fans in Britain/Europe. Which is the reverse of the situation with Lego, which many Americans call "Legos," though in that case the company makes official statements that "Legos" is wrong.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:14 am Reply with quote
Huh. I could have sworn I saw part of this as a crappy recording floating around on the internet back when it was new. Like, during the animesuki/livejournal era. It was my only explanation for the random guy that appeared at the end of the CLAMP in Wonderland music video who had baffled me for years. I remember being very confused and never looked into it again. I guess I imagined it?
Hotblack_desiato

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:17 am Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
Hotblack_desiato wrote:
If you're going to abbreviate it and not do the JJBA thing, it's JoJo, not JoJo's. "JoJo's" on its own sounds like someone talking about "animes"--there's no hard rule from on high, true, but it just sounds crap.

IIRC, "Jojo's" is the commonly accepted abbreviation among fans in Britain/Europe. Which is the reverse of the situation with Lego, which many Americans call "Legos," though in that case the company makes official statements that "Legos" is wrong.

Interesting. The plural vs. collective noun thing I can see as a legitimate misunderstanding, since they're a lot of little bricks. If that were somehow the case with JJBA then I could understand it more. But using a possessive as an abbreviation for a show reads almost deliberately wrong to me, like it's parodying a sauce or confectionary. "Always buy JoJo's, voted best in the county!"

Now I'm trying to think of shows with similarly lengthy titles beginning with a possessive, coming up blank though...
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:44 am Reply with quote
Hotblack_desiato wrote:
Now I'm trying to think of shows with similarly lengthy titles beginning with a possessive, coming up blank though...

Natsume's Book of Friends and Muhyo and Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation come to mind but I have no idea how fans abbreviate them.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I saw a trailer for the film and, honestly, from the trailer alone it looked like a pretty cool, albeit retro, adaption of Phantom Blood. I feel like if any JoJo part could be condensed into a movie, it would be Phantom Blood.

And they had a killer cast. I mean, Katsuyuki Konishi as Jonathan? Hikaru Midorikawa as Dio? Nana Mizuki as Erina? Rikiya Koyama as Zeppeli? Konishi went on to voice The Boss in Golden Wind and Koyama played Kira pre-Toshiyuki Morikawa but those were some amazing casting choices for a movie that did not do well.

I thought I read somewhere that Speedwagon was actually in it, just in a very reduced role.
Red Mango

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:01 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I saw a trailer for the film and, honestly, from the trailer alone it looked like a pretty cool, albeit retro, adaption of Phantom Blood. I feel like if any JoJo part could be condensed into a movie, it would be Phantom Blood.

I thought I read somewhere that Speedwagon was actually in it, just in a very reduced role.

The retro look definitely comes from the director / character designer, Junichi Hayama, having gotten a lot of his style from working on the original Fist of the North Star.

As for speedwagon, the confusion comes from a photo of an odd little announcement teaser they made for the 2004 Tokyo International Anime Fair. It was animated just for that event and ended up not being representative of the final film very much at all. The character designs and colour schemes are very different, it looks a lot more dark and muted, and none of the animation afaik ended up in the final product. Speedwagon was cut for time constraints.

YareYareDaZe wrote:
Red Mango, I did say my memory was quite fuzzy, I might be entirely wrong about that scene. What I do remember for sure is that among all that non-sense, there was one scene that made me laugh out loud, as I couldn't believe they had reached a low bar even for the movie.

My only other regret (except for seeing the movie itself) is that I didn't buy the ticket in advance so I couldn't get the usual anime goodie that come with those preorders. Oh well !

The only outright 'what the hell' scene I can recall that I know of is when Dio uses unexplained magic to turn Windknight's Lot into a gravity-defying green glowing castlevania looking place. I dunno what you could be thinking of. Even then, I think that scene can be excused for how great the castle looks in the movie as a result.

And yeah, they had neat goodies to go along with it. One of the advance tickets you could purchase for a higher price included artwork of Jonathan from the cover of Volume 4, and a little folder of sorts to hold it in. A phone charm of the stone mask was also available iirc. Do you happen to have your ticket, from when you saw it? There's another thing that those who went to saw the movie were handed out too...
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
It's only real mystic is that it hasn't ever been released to a wider viewing public, otherwise it would be remembered as often as the Baoh OVA.

Are you implying that no one remembers the Baoh OVA? I think my whole friend group can quote the entire dub script verbatim.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2