• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Are the days of physical releases numbered?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranmart

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:50 pm Reply with quote
It seems with everything going digital physical releases or at least space given to physical releases in stores is getting smaller.not that anime in 4k is really a thing yet but it has been said 8k will be digital only. I know we have lots of options for streaming tv series but will there be the same digital treatment done for every anime movie that comes to North America.Examples would be your name and weathering with you both had 4k physical Limited releases in japan But only HD digital releases in North America..also Not all anime movies that make it to North America are even given a digital release.example would be many of the movies aniplex releases.anyone with thoughts on this topic?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:55 am Reply with quote
I remember when I first became a die hard fan back in 2009 this was a topic of conversation even then. Personally, I think at some point in the future distribs will decide physical releases aren't financially viable, but God knows when that will be. I'm pretty sure each new generation of anime fans is less interested in physical releases than the one before it.
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:38 am Reply with quote
Of course all-digital is the future. It just makes the most business sense for the corporations as they retain complete control of their content. Thankfully, I'll be dead from old age before that future actually comes to pass.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:12 pm Reply with quote
No they aren't, at least for the near future.

Streaming infrastructure still has problems with buffering, and the mobile side with throttling.

Availability of all anime titles is still NOT a thing. Which is the biggest problem for the anime streaming audience, and to some degree the general audience.

While the demand for physical BD releases is slowly going down, it will not reach a point in my future where anime physical release goes away. Prices might go up, but if you still want to watch your favorite shows more than once over time, a physical release is still where it is at.
zrdb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:43 pm Reply with quote
"The sky is falling, the sky is falling" so said chicken little and we all know where that went. To answer your question-NO!!!!! Any physical medium is always going to be much better than streaming, you can watch it when and where you want, it won't disappear suddenly never to be seen again and most of all YOU ACTUALLY OWN IT.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1