• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Back to Schools

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I recall them saying Pikmin 4 was pretty much done... FF years later and where it at Nintendo? lol
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Type-Moon needs to bite the bullet and let someone make a slapstick comedy about Nobbu and Okita's antics. But that would be too awesome for them to handle. Anyway:

-Street Fighter: Neat for Rival Schools to get a bone. Now put in 'Zaki.

-Soulcalibur: Been playing Setsuka and HOO-BOY they really amped her up. She was already one of the harder characters to use and while there have been steps made to make learning her easier, she now has THREE gauges that are used to buff certain moves, giving her a sort of "level up" system. And after playing her Soul Chronicle I now kind of want an action spinoff starring her master Shugen.

-Guilty Gear: We now have Blade.

-Pikmin 3: Neat. Now get a Mario Galaxy collection out and give us a Switch port of Xenoblade X
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
See, fans love Dan because he's a completely incompetent dumbass who thinks he's much better than he actually is. The problem is when you play him and figure out that he is very deliberately made to be a garbage character compared to everyone else. He's the kind of DLC character I'd hope CAPCOM would have the good sense to give out for free because, while people like him being around in Street Fighter, nobody except the most masochistic low-tier heroes likes playing him. But this is CAPCOM, so I'm sure Dan will be taking your real or virtual fight money and laughing all the way to the bank.

It's always interesting when you look at other fighting games and see people complaining about them wasting slots on a character. And then look at Dan who has been in multiple SF games for no real reason and his inclusion is usually shrugged at.

Quote:
Now, Street Fighter and Rival Schools aren't total strangers to each other – SF's Sakura has appeared in Rival Schools games. She's also apparently friendly with Akira… which is why Akira's now coming to Street Fighter V. Neat, huh? Even so, it's a little sad, because it's CAPCOM mining an IP that people dearly miss.

I don't know what Rival School fans are upset about when Darkstalkers fans have been living this reality for since 1997, as has Viewtiful Joe fans,......Power Stone & Dino Crisis fans they haven't gotten squat.

Quote:
I think the current fighting game market could really use a game with solid mechanics and unabashedly goofy shonen-manga appeal like Rival Schools right now, but CAPCOM's all in on SF5. Alas.

Somewhere Xbox fans just flipped a table.
Dextres

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:27 pm Reply with quote
An exciting year for fighting games competition. Get your game on!
heavyweather

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised by, and then really happy to see, that Capcom included Akira as one of the next DLC characters. She's my favorite of the Rival Schools cast, and is a great crossover addition to the SFV roster.

I'm rubbish at Street Fighter, especially online, and it wouldn't be worth it right now for me to pay for the base game plus DLC to play as her, so that's unfortunate. Maybe the Arcade version at Round1 will get her later...

Also: yes, Rival Schools deserves a comeback.

(Unrelated note: There's a punk band called Rival Schools, named after the game. Their first album is called United by Fate. It's both nerdy and cheeky, and I love it.)
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't play FGO, but I did download it a while ago to give it a go and log in every once in a while to get some log in rewards and do a summons or two. Did a few summon tickets and didn't get anything note worthy. My summons is Treasure Cruise have been pretty great lately though Anime smile

Well, that's a lot of fighting game info. Personally the only thing that has my attention recently that's relating to fighting games is the recent progress related to the Neo Geo Arcade Stick Pro scene.

AiddonValentine wrote:

-Pikmin 3: Neat. Now get a Mario Galaxy collection out and give us a Switch port of Xenoblade X

I second!
Saury

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(Also, Harada claimed Tekken 7 already has a form of rollback netcode, but didn't really go into specifics. I mean, Street Fighter V has some rollback netcode, too, but it's implemented quite badly, and if Harada is telling the truth – and I have no reason to doubt him – it feels like it's similarly poorly handled. Here's hoping his “improved online experience” – one of the few announcements in the stream related to online play – actually does improve things.)

Yes, Tekken 7 does have a form of rollback netcode blended in its architecture. However, the developers limited the rollback to 3 frames because they claim that any more rollback will result in the 3D animations looking really janky. (Imagine arms and heads bending at anatomically impossible angles, and body parts in general intersecting where they shouldn't.)

However, they have since heard from the fighting game community that they really don't like the gameplay of netcode that is heavily delay-based, and they now want to do something about it. The significance of Harada's talk about netcode (and he apparently talks about it for a solid chunk in the Japanese broadcast version) is that the Tekken 7 team has shown commitment to actually working on the problem and REDONE the animations to make it look nice when they implement more rollback frames. I think that is a decently big commitment on their part - redoing animations (especially if they actually implement this - they would have to redo animations for all characters) can be expensive and time consuming. They are currently testing it out, and Harada says it looks good.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:05 am Reply with quote
The fighting game to watch right now is between Apple and Microsoft regarding Project xCloud. They're going toe-to-toe Shocked
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:00 pm Reply with quote
It appears to be a very busy season for fighting game announcements and updates in spite of an ongoing pandemic.

P.S.: Heidi, congratulations in successfully summoning Lancer Ibaraki-Douji if you did.

Meanwhile, I have done a good job raising Summer Jeanne Alter to Lv 80 and eventually managed to secure her permanently. Also, I'm locked and loaded for BB.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Interesting to see F/GO, even if it isn’t the main focus of the article. I’m saving my SQ for BB and XX, though I did do a 10-roll to get something to use up some experience cards, as my inventory had been filled to the brim with them. I’ll probably go back and roll for the first banner if I have any leftover from the second. I’m also excited to see the next part of the event. Even among seasonal events, the summer ones have been some of the most unique events, and this year’s is no different in that regard.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1