• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei, Kodansha, Other Anime Firms Launch YouTube Initiative With Overseas Plans

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Skeptical they can pull it off, but wish them the best. Curious for dubbing though.

This is a channel for Japanese audiences. Why would dubbing matter?
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:35 am Reply with quote
From circles I've seen, there is all this talk of "This is it for Funimation and Crunchyroll! They will go bankrupt! There is no need for a MiddleMan! They can hire people just from Japan!" thinking going along. But if those companies don't do dubbing and such, then there is always need for a "MiddleMan" and those anime services if they don't bother with the dubbing and having it on the channel.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:43 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
From circles I've seen, there is all this talk of "This is it for Funimation and Crunchyroll! They will go bankrupt! There is no need for a MiddleMan! They can hire people just from Japan!" thinking going along. But if those companies don't do dubbing and such, then there is always need for a "MiddleMan" and those anime services if they don't bother with the dubbing and having it on the channel.

Those are bad faith people making mountains out of not even molehills. This YouTube channel is precisely for anime that would normally never get streamed at all in North America (if even outside Japan, in general), let alone brand new simulcasts. Future Boy Conan, for example, is generally considered unlicensable because of its myriad of hoops to get through, not to mention likely would cost a lot, due to how beloved & cherished it is. In fact, it may not even be one of those titles that even get the English translation option, and even if it does it may remain region locked to Japan, like it currently is. Dubbing isn't even going to be a factor at all for this stuff.

If people want to act like a YouTube channel potentially streaming anime they've never heard of, will obviously never get dubbed, and is going to be almost nothing new, is going to kill of FUNimation or Cunrchyroll, then they can keep thinking that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2