• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Strike Witches: 501st JOINT FIGHTER WING Take Off! BR

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you're a fan of the franchise in general, Strike Witches: 501st JOINT FIGHTER WING Take Off! is must-view content. It is funny enough that I might recommend it even for those who have only passing familiarity with the franchise, though dedicated fans will appreciate it more.

I can't disagree more lol. I found this series was largely rehashing old jokes that were executed better in the older TV series, and of course this barely had "animation" at all. Despite how short it was, I felt it was largely a waste of time .
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
If you're a fan of the franchise in general, Strike Witches: 501st JOINT FIGHTER WING Take Off! is must-view content. It is funny enough that I might recommend it even for those who have only passing familiarity with the franchise, though dedicated fans will appreciate it more.

I can't disagree more lol. I found this series was largely rehashing old jokes that were executed better in the older TV series, and of course this barely had "animation" at all. Despite how short it was, I felt it was largely a waste of time .

Pretty much this. The jokes were stale and run into the ground and the animation was half hearted to put it very generously - and that was just the first episode. Didn't come back for the second.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Strike Witches has always been Girls und Panzer's lewder R-Rated cousin, which makes sense given the same designer is involved.

But how do you make such anime appealing into 2020? They're going all in on Strike Witches lately with multiple projects headed.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:14 am Reply with quote
Don't know what 2020 has to do about it, but if they continue the story and narrative with the same quality of animation the first season had, the fans will come. After all, they haven't completed the war or the story of the enemy.
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:56 am Reply with quote
As much as I like Strike Witches this show didn't do anything for me. It seemed like a very pale imitation of the original show. When it tried to be humorous even though I know the Strike Witches ethos it fell flat. I'd give this show a 5 out of 10 and even then I'm being generous.

Last edited by zrdb on Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
quoss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Just postin to agree with the reviewer; definitely found Take Off! to be super funny and gratifying as a big fan of Strike Witches. It was mad silly/dumb at a l l times and worked up some of the most popular character aspects sans the real dramatic themes so yeah I have zero complaints. Yes it visually looked awful but the point is the funny and the funny succeeded.

For casual fans, indeed I wouldn't recommend it, but for those who love SW not solely for the war but also for the girls and their personal friendships and laughs and EilaSanya yuri with each other, this is gold and i am t h a n k f u l that it was produced so it can be enjoyed. Excellent holdover as we wait for Berlin.
MesousaGaby

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:24 pm Reply with quote
As a former big Strike Witches fan, I admit, I was hoping for a more sylized comical series similar to say, Thundercats Roar, so to see this be more like the usual artstyle was...a bit of a let down. One issue I do have with SW is that despite having many animation studios animating some of their shows, they alwasy feel so...samey in style. It needs take a lesson i having cooler action scenes like what most recent wester animation properties are doing.

Anyways, as for the series itself, it was...eh. An odd issue about it is how much Erica and Gertrud took so much screentime while characters like Lucchini and Perrine barely appeared. It doesn't feel like there's any legit balance for character use in the show compared to the main series.

And of course, well...the cheap animation. Really REALLY doesn't help that it reminds me of Queen Bee's works. As in the hentai studio. Yeah.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1