• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Streams Zoids Wild Anime in U.S. on August 14

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MKVarana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Kind of awkward that they only list the Japanese voice cast, yet they are only providing the English dub... ^^;
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Primus wrote:
Hasbro hasn't publicly acknowledged Zoids Wild at all. If it weren't for fans leaking trade materials, we wouldn't have known of their involvement until the game's localization was announced. They've had ample time to prepare, yet they can't even muster any pre-launch promotional support for the show's debut on Netflix ... All of this suggests they have no confidence in it.

Usually your info is on point and I don't have to correct you, but this isn't right. Zoids Wild wasn't leaked, the first time we heard about their involvement was in 2018 when they advertised their 2018 MIPCOM booth in the 2018/2019 TV Kids Guide which was published online for all to read for free (page 65). They would then mention it again in a press release (which wasn't public, but also not secret) in 2019 when Hasbro Studios publicly became Allspark.

To be shopping this around for two years and still not see a product on the shelves means they probably couldn't get retailers interested and moving the anime to Netflix is just a last ditch effort to make a little cash where they could.

Emerje

You're right in that leaked wasn't the right word to use in that situation, since nothing was confidential. My point was that Hasbro has done zero promotion aimed at the general public. All of that stuff was intended for industry professionals, so if it weren't for prying eyes, it wouldn't have made it out there. Even now that the show's on Netflix, they haven't said a word.

Packshots featuring retooled kits from Hasbro leaked (these weren't meant to be public) last fall from a UK retailer. It seems like Netflix hasn't launched the show there, despite early listings saying it would be. Maybe they're actually going to get the toys? The game's western publisher is British, too.

MKVarana wrote:
Kind of awkward that they only list the Japanese voice cast, yet they are only providing the English dub... ^^;

This isn't exclusive to Zoids. I think they're just mirroring their Japanese pages for the show.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Hasbro's website added instructions for a number of Wild kits this week, suggesting they are bringing the toyline over. Very bizarre given they've done zero promo for the show's Netflix debut. Since it's not branded as an exclusive, maybe they're going to release it on a free platform later?
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:14 pm Reply with quote
To be fair Hasbro hasn't really had a big showcase event since February to show off new stuff and they still haven't had a big online presentation event to take the place of SDCC. There's Hasbro Pulse, but that's for adult collectors and this is targeted at children. I'm guessing they wanted to announce them at SDCC, maybe at a Netflix presentation or something.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:14 pm Reply with quote
You don't need a convention or a media event to upload a trailer onto YouTube, write a press release or launch a website.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:11 pm Reply with quote
So for anyone who's watched it how is the quality of the dub?
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:33 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
You don't need a convention or a media event to upload a trailer onto YouTube, write a press release or launch a website.

Sure, but that's no way to properly announce a new product. If they have any faith in it at all then they need to hype it up or it'll be DOA. Websites are pointless if kids don't know to look for it. How many kids read press releases? They need to promote this somewhere kids are already looking.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:38 pm Reply with quote
The show's already out there, so it's not like hype is important. The goal should be to just promote its existence. A press release gets it in front of journalists, who might want to report on it. A trailer on their YouTube channel should get some eyeballs from kids, who the might check it out on Netflix. Instead, the dub's been out for a week and Hasbro still hasn't said a word ...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2