Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Cancels Publication of act-age Manga's Last Chapter


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
BigOnAnime



Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Posts: 851
Location: Minnesota, USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Pre-orders are also being cancelled, and Volume 1 is no longer listed on RightStuf.
Quote:
I had volume 2 of the Viz English release pre-ordered through RightStuf and I just received an e-mail from them stating that the item is no longer available. I guess Viz is just pulling it completely.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Actage/comments/i8dhl5/psa_i_just_had_my_preorder_cancelled/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryuji-Dono



Joined: 26 Apr 2018
Posts: 361
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen a cancellation of a project of this magnitude ever since the attempted adaptation of that light novel written by a Racist author against Koreans and Chinese.

Last edited by Ryuji-Dono on Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blatch
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 332
Location: Northeast U.S.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
I've never seen cancellation of a project of this magnitude ever since the attempted adaptation of that light novel written by a Racist author against Koreans and Chinese.


You're thinking of [New Life+], and... LOL, that one was a classic. Ironically, the manga adaptation of that series was allowed to continue. I assume it's still going. But yeah, they're really going scorched earth on this series, and I guess it's warranted.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Florete



Joined: 21 Jan 2018
Posts: 118
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I just hope this isn't having too negative an effect on the assistants and others. It takes a lot more than one person to get a manga series out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Crispy88



Joined: 12 Aug 2020
Posts: 3
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:37 pm Reply with quote
This happened before with Toriko's author.

He got convicted of having sex with a sixteen year old for money. They cancelled his series from the time, which was this weird gag manga, and he disappeared for a while. Two years later, he was publishing again with Shueisha, and then four years after that he made it back to Weekly Jump, and Toriko became his biggest series to date.

Granted, this case is way different... especially taking into account the age of the victims and the fact that Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro's sex acts were consensual... Interesting to see how the times and shifts in attitudes have globally changed and affected the industry. I'm not a huge fan of completely erasing everything because 1 person did something bad, especially since this is a shared series, and his writing employed numerous others who had nothing to do with him; but I get where the impulse comes from.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kisuke525



Joined: 05 Nov 2019
Posts: 190
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Crispy88 wrote:
This happened before with Toriko's author.

He got convicted of having sex with a sixteen year old for money. They cancelled his series from the time, which was this weird gag manga, and he disappeared for a while. Two years later, he was publishing again with Shueisha, and then four years after that he made it back to Weekly Jump, and Toriko became his biggest series to date.

Granted, this case is way different... especially taking into account the age of the victims and the fact that Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro's sex acts were consensual... Interesting to see how the times and shifts in attitudes have globally changed and affected the industry. I'm not a huge fan of completely erasing everything because 1 person did something bad, especially since this is a shared series, and his writing employed numerous others who had nothing to do with him; but I get where the impulse comes from.


I've asked a lot of people about the Mitsutoshi incident "some from Japan" and as far as I've gathered it was proven that he was unaware of the girl's age. If that is true it helps explain why he was able to come back in two years.

Oh and while Seikimatsu Leader den Takeshi "his first series" does look weird it is actually quite good and has a lot of heart and a good message, it's more than just a silly gag series. Not that there is anything wrong with silly gag series of course.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
El Hermano



Joined: 24 Feb 2019
Posts: 282
Location: Texas
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Crispy88 wrote:
He got convicted of having sex with a sixteen year old for money. They cancelled his series from the time, which was this weird gag manga, and he disappeared for a while. Two years later, he was publishing again with Shueisha, and then four years after that he made it back to Weekly Jump, and Toriko became his biggest series to date.

Granted, this case is way different... especially taking into account the age of the victims and the fact that Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro's sex acts were consensual... Interesting to see how the times and shifts in attitudes have globally changed and affected the industry. I'm not a huge fan of completely erasing everything because 1 person did something bad, especially since this is a shared series, and his writing employed numerous others who had nothing to do with him; but I get where the impulse comes from.


Perhaps it's a controversial take, but I don't see the issue with people returning to their old life. If the whole point of the legal system is to reform people, rather than to just punish them, then I see no reason to bar them from returning years later to try again. Obviously everyone has the right to not support whoever they want, but I wouldn't really have any issue if Matsuki comes back to write manga again after he serves his punishment for his crime and is back I mean, if having a criminal record doesn't disqualify you from running for public office then I don't see why writing comics should be held to a higher standard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Haterater



Joined: 30 Apr 2006
Posts: 1589
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:31 pm Reply with quote
@El Hermano

I guess it would depend on the crime, occupation, and public opinion. Will run into double standards, unjust, etc. Even for similar stuff, it can go the opposite way. Like the Kenshin guy...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Manga
Aura Ichadora



Joined: 25 Apr 2008
Posts: 1994
Location: In front of my computer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I figured this was going to happen, and it's totally expected and understandable, but it still sucks. I bought Volume 1 recently, but I re-read it a dozen times already, and been super excited for the rest of volumes, up until the point when all of this came out. Now, similar to Translucent, I have another incomplete series on my shelf that I can't bear to get rid of. Although I think this one will hurt a lot more.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Crispy88



Joined: 12 Aug 2020
Posts: 3
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:49 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
Crispy88 wrote:
He got convicted of having sex with a sixteen year old for money. They cancelled his series from the time, which was this weird gag manga, and he disappeared for a while. Two years later, he was publishing again with Shueisha, and then four years after that he made it back to Weekly Jump, and Toriko became his biggest series to date.

Granted, this case is way different... especially taking into account the age of the victims and the fact that Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro's sex acts were consensual... Interesting to see how the times and shifts in attitudes have globally changed and affected the industry. I'm not a huge fan of completely erasing everything because 1 person did something bad, especially since this is a shared series, and his writing employed numerous others who had nothing to do with him; but I get where the impulse comes from.


Perhaps it's a controversial take, but I don't see the issue with people returning to their old life. If the whole point of the legal system is to reform people, rather than to just punish them, then I see no reason to bar them from returning years later to try again. Obviously everyone has the right to not support whoever they want, but I wouldn't really have any issue if Matsuki comes back to write manga again after he serves his punishment for his crime and is back I mean, if having a criminal record doesn't disqualify you from running for public office then I don't see why writing comics should be held to a higher standard.


Totally don’t disagree. I don’t have a problem with Shimabukuro coming back at all. I just meant to bring it up in order to shine light on the fact that this isn’t the first time Jump or Shueisha in general have faced an issue like this. These actions aren’t super surprising; though I do think the attention this is getting is a lot more extreme than it would have been 10+ years ago — especially internationally. Though, maybe things haven’t really changed that much; even Nobuhiro Watsuki was able to bounce back into publishing immediately after his child-pornography charges relatively quickly after settling with a fine. Granted, child porn isn’t actually physically molesting a child — but at least here in America, I don’t think they’d be seen and treated as all that separate or different. That wasn’t even like 3 years ago, and his series was only put on hiatus for like 6 months!

It just sucks that the author’s fucked up choices have had such an impact on a whole group of people. Now that artist basically has to start over from scratch, which, granted, now that they have a success under their belt, may be a bit easier — but there’s no guarantee that whatever series they work on next will have the kind of success that Act-Age was having. Her career basically has to start from scratch again... all over something she had no part in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
revolutionotaku



Joined: 19 May 2011
Posts: 771
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:43 am Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
Pre-orders are also being cancelled, and Volume 1 is no longer listed on RightStuf.
Quote:
I had volume 2 of the Viz English release pre-ordered through RightStuf and I just received an e-mail from them stating that the item is no longer available. I guess Viz is just pulling it completely.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Actage/comments/i8dhl5/psa_i_just_had_my_preorder_cancelled/


What ever happened with simply separating the art from the artist?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Scion Drake



Joined: 25 Nov 2017
Posts: 714
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:05 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
BigOnAnime wrote:
Pre-orders are also being cancelled, and Volume 1 is no longer listed on RightStuf.
Quote:
I had volume 2 of the Viz English release pre-ordered through RightStuf and I just received an e-mail from them stating that the item is no longer available. I guess Viz is just pulling it completely.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Actage/comments/i8dhl5/psa_i_just_had_my_preorder_cancelled/


What ever happened with simply separating the art from the artist?


That only really works when their dead or haven’t done something as outright awful as molesting minors.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ATastySub



Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Posts: 197
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:30 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
BigOnAnime wrote:
Pre-orders are also being cancelled, and Volume 1 is no longer listed on RightStuf.
Quote:
I had volume 2 of the Viz English release pre-ordered through RightStuf and I just received an e-mail from them stating that the item is no longer available. I guess Viz is just pulling it completely.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Actage/comments/i8dhl5/psa_i_just_had_my_preorder_cancelled/


What ever happened with simply separating the art from the artist?

That was always meant as a tool for literary analysis, not as an excuse to continue giving money to people who have done awful things. That people with no interest in criticism have co-opted it as an excuse to remove any self-reflection from their consumption is as awful as it is disappointing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Honeyman



Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 19
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:50 am Reply with quote
The manga seems to have been removed from the magazine and stores double-quick. Its understandable though and I still want to read it at some point given the art and the general subject of the acting world are both decent and interesting.

I feel for the artist as she's had her work stopped when it was on a role. I think she'll get an opportunity to work again though as this is clearly a case of being paired with the wrong writer. Hopefully another decent and law-abiding writer will team up with her for her next work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SHD



Joined: 05 Apr 2015
Posts: 596
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:42 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
BigOnAnime wrote:
Pre-orders are also being cancelled, and Volume 1 is no longer listed on RightStuf.
Quote:
I had volume 2 of the Viz English release pre-ordered through RightStuf and I just received an e-mail from them stating that the item is no longer available. I guess Viz is just pulling it completely.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Actage/comments/i8dhl5/psa_i_just_had_my_preorder_cancelled/


What ever happened with simply separating the art from the artist?

You can't separate art from artist when the artist still profits from revenue made from the art.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group