Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Reveals Noblesse Anime's Trailer, Cast, Staff, October Premiere


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
methedemon



Joined: 19 Aug 2007
Posts: 99
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I keep reading it Nosebleed...

cool characters designs though
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dark13



Joined: 04 Oct 2015
Posts: 555
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:07 pm Reply with quote
You know ? its pretty clear at this point Crunchyroll has enough money to fund all this Manhwa into Korean anime, so why not use some of that money to produce some manga into anime ? like new titles, or even remake some old titles that haven't gotten a new anime in over 10 years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NobodysDawn



Joined: 28 Mar 2015
Posts: 37
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:14 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
You know ? its pretty clear at this point Crunchyroll has enough money to fund all this Manhwa into Korean anime, so why not use some of that money to produce some manga into anime ? like new titles, or even remake some old titles that haven't gotten a new anime in over 10 years.

It’s being done in a partnership between Crunchyroll and webtoon and webtoon doesn’t do manga. Although I do hope they will do more than just the Korean series, like Hooky or Room of Swords.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Piexouar



Joined: 19 Jun 2020
Posts: 40
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:20 pm Reply with quote
After being burned with ToG and GoHS I'm not sure I'm on board for more webtoons.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Soulwarfare



Joined: 10 Dec 2017
Posts: 174
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Ahhh the "Bleach" of webtoons.

Great first couple of arcs and then drags near the end and finishes with questions still lingering in the air
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NobodysDawn



Joined: 28 Mar 2015
Posts: 37
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Piexouar wrote:
After being burned with ToG and GoHS I'm not sure I'm on board for more webtoons.

In the case of Tower of God, I really don’t think it’s their fault. If they had stuck true to original’s explanations about stuff, the anime probably would have turned into a total slog to get through listening to characters spout exposition left and right. They chose to go with “cut out the exposition and hope they either read the manhwa or don’t think about it too hard”, which isn’t great either but it was kind of a lose-lose situation so I don’t really fault them for it either.
As for GoH, I guess I agree with them that the first part is too short to be stretched out over 13 episodes, but their solution of adapting part 2 as well is just baffling. That’s 112 CHAPTERS in 13 episodes. That is insane. And even the stuff they do leave in (which is not a lot) they change. It’s entertaining enough as it’s own thing (although less so with each episode as their bizarre adaptation choices come back to bite them) but as an adaptation it is a DUMPSTER FIRE.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Piexouar



Joined: 19 Jun 2020
Posts: 40
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:03 pm Reply with quote
NobodysDawn wrote:
Piexouar wrote:
After being burned with ToG and GoHS I'm not sure I'm on board for more webtoons.

In the case of Tower of God, I really don’t think it’s their fault. If they had stuck true to original’s explanations about stuff, the anime probably would have turned into a total slog to get through listening to characters spout exposition left and right. They chose to go with “cut out the exposition and hope they either read the manhwa or don’t think about it too hard”, which isn’t great either but it was kind of a lose-lose situation so I don’t really fault them for it either.
As for GoH, I guess I agree with them that the first part is too short to be stretched out over 13 episodes, but their solution of adapting part 2 as well is just baffling. That’s 112 CHAPTERS in 13 episodes. That is insane. And even the stuff they do leave in (which is not a lot) they change. It’s entertaining enough as it’s own thing (although less so with each episode as their bizarre adaptation choices come back to bite them) but as an adaptation it is a DUMPSTER FIRE.


I agree that an adaptation shouldn't be a carbon copy of the manga, manhwa in this case, and take advantage of the medium that is animation. But ToG would have benefited from slower pacing, it's possible to find the right balance without cutting too many corners. I don't get why the show couldn't be 2 cours, it's not like it had particularly strong production values.


Last edited by Piexouar on Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MetalGarurumon



Joined: 27 Feb 2018
Posts: 63
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:05 pm Reply with quote
These "Crunchyroll originals" are a joke.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dicku-kun



Joined: 14 Jun 2018
Posts: 161
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for 92 chapters to be cramped into 13 episodes...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
crazieanimefan1



Joined: 18 Feb 2015
Posts: 241
Location: Auburn, AL
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:14 pm Reply with quote
NobodysDawn wrote:
dark13 wrote:
You know ? its pretty clear at this point Crunchyroll has enough money to fund all this Manhwa into Korean anime, so why not use some of that money to produce some manga into anime ? like new titles, or even remake some old titles that haven't gotten a new anime in over 10 years.

It’s being done in a partnership between Crunchyroll and webtoon and webtoon doesn’t do manga. Although I do hope they will do more than just the Korean series, like Hooky or Room of Swords.


If they do that, what's to stop them from doing Killing Stalking? That would definately be up for grabs as popular as that manhwa was.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NobodysDawn



Joined: 28 Mar 2015
Posts: 37
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:25 pm Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
NobodysDawn wrote:
dark13 wrote:
You know ? its pretty clear at this point Crunchyroll has enough money to fund all this Manhwa into Korean anime, so why not use some of that money to produce some manga into anime ? like new titles, or even remake some old titles that haven't gotten a new anime in over 10 years.

It’s being done in a partnership between Crunchyroll and webtoon and webtoon doesn’t do manga. Although I do hope they will do more than just the Korean series, like Hooky or Room of Swords.


If they do that, what's to stop them from doing Killing Stalking? That would definately be up for grabs as popular as that manhwa was.

Killing Stalking isn’t a webtoon series. I believe LezhinComics are the ones whoLicensed it. Webtoon has some horror series, but nothing that graphic. I don’t know if this applies to graphic violence as well, but they have content guidelines about graphic sex that Killing Stalking definitely does not meet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dian Z



Joined: 27 Feb 2013
Posts: 354
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed ToG, GoH not so much but it still ongoing so probably it'll get interesting later on. This is a weird-looking trailer (not sure in a good way), how the scenes are cut, but the animation looks pretty good, so looking forward to it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dollssoulkirie



Joined: 05 Feb 2005
Posts: 75
Location: Newport News, VA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Dicku-kun wrote:
Can't wait for 92 chapters to be cramped into 13 episodes...

It's the first two story arcs... So 154 chapters will be in this adaptation. Production IG already crammed ~75 chapters into that 30 minute OVA a few years ago without some comedic scenes and character development to cover the major events of the first story arc. So I'm sure this won't be as rushed as that??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ryuji-Dono



Joined: 26 Apr 2018
Posts: 377
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:03 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Crunchyroll may go beyond adapting Korean webtoons and try to also adapt some OELs from either Tokyopop or Saturday AM, or even some notable English Light Novels from Wattpad or Royal Roads or something like that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fenrin



Joined: 19 Dec 2015
Posts: 528
Location: SoCal
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:36 am Reply with quote
Don't know how to feel about the style/quality, they look a little wooden(?). I really admired how handsome/beautiful the characters looked in the webtoon, but these look like cheap imitations. I'm disappointed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group