• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: act-age Manga Volume Sales Indefinitely Suspended After Writer's Arrest

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:31 am Reply with quote
So much work and effort put in by likely dozens and dozens of people across multiple avenues ruined by one scumbag. That's really unfortunate.
Kokushibou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:14 am Reply with quote
Too bad for the artist though, all her hard work. And now her signature artstyle will be a reminder of act-age to many people which is not a good thing.
Sparvid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:25 am Reply with quote
What happens to the weekly magazine when they suddenly have a bunch of unassigned pages in the last minute? Do they have some finished one-shot stories laying around in case of emergency?
Honeyman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:25 am Reply with quote
Kokushibou wrote:
Too bad for the artist though, all her hard work. And now her signature artstyle will be a reminder of act-age to many people which is not a good thing.

Does this mean its going to be removed from store shelves (regular bookstores and second-hand stores) given what the writer has done? If so that's a shame as the art's still decent in its own right. Perhaps the volumes will still be in circulation though and can be read at various stores/manga cafés and what not.

Here's hoping the artist's name isn't trained forever given the writer's actions.
Kokushibou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:39 am Reply with quote
Honeyman wrote:
Kokushibou wrote:

Does this mean its going to be removed from store shelves (regular bookstores and second-hand stores) given what the writer has done?

I doubt shueisha can make them remove it from shelves but they are definitely not selling it to shop owners and all the printed stuff in a warehouse somewhere will forever remain unsold. After this news I wonder if people will rush to buy what remains in the stores in japan, since even the digital sales will be stopped.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:48 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
So much work and effort put in by likely dozens and dozens of people across multiple avenues ruined by one scumbag. That's really unfortunate.

That situation makes me quite upset since so many people worked on that project only to have it all thrown away for such a stupid reason. It's obviously devastating for fans too, but it's especially horrible for the artist who did nothing wrong whatsoever only to end up being inadvertently punished both financially and otherwise by the work being canceled.

I'm almost willing to point the finger at the publisher rather than the scumbag writer. Fire the molester, get a new author on board.....or perhaps Japan's laws regarding "original creators" make that impossible?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:06 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
they're unpersoning this manga harder than Medaka Box

I don't remember Medaka Box getting any kind of treatment like this, what do you mean?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Unless there is some sort of buy back program from the publisher, the store sellers are going to sell the existing copies they have. They can't afford to take losses on a formerly popular manga.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:37 pm Reply with quote
It’s been removed from Amazon’s digital store front already, although the physical book is still available.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Posts removed. Please stay on topic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nayrael

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:26 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
I'm almost willing to point the finger at the publisher rather than the scumbag writer. Fire the molester, get a new author on board.....or perhaps Japan's laws regarding "original creators" make that impossible?

They can't because the authorial rights belong to the creators, not to the publishers (unlike for instance DC and Marvel where publishers hold the rights and creators don't matter). And by the looks of it, Act-Age is most likely the intellectual property of the arrested writer.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Sparvid wrote:
What happens to the weekly magazine when they suddenly have a bunch of unassigned pages in the last minute? Do they have some finished one-shot stories laying around in case of emergency?

I understand so. There was someone I read... Mizukami Satoshi? who wrote about how they were making a career of doing this until they realised it was a dead end.

(Or, wsj chapters are 20pp, you can drop that without anyone really noticing. Probably they have pre-planned options for this, used if a mangaka gets sick or whathaveyou. )
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:53 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:

Maybe it'll be put on sale again a year or two down the line. Or maybe it'll quietly be put on an online site to read. Even The Cosby Show has quietly slipped back onto streaming services and networks now that the Cosby scandal has faded from memory.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:03 am Reply with quote
Sparvid wrote:

Do nothing, one missing series don't mean much. Look at those issues where One Piece take break (HxH is treated as extra nowadays). Especially in this case, since it happened right before new series (+Burn the Witch short) starts next week.

Next round of cancellation will probably have one less axed manga or one more new series or worst come to worst, they'll drag Togashi back.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Also has been completely removed from the Viz website, the Shonen Jump and Viz apps, and MangaPlus website and app. There is now no digital access to the english manga and fewer physical stores are listing it (Barnes & Noble still has copies of volumes 1 and 2 and BAM has copies of v1).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2